2 points about MM firing

1. Bills better hire a guy within the next 48 hours. The combines, contract and player evaulations are already going on in the league. All teams have their coach early - day aft - Black Monday. We are behind timewise now...

2. MM was fired IMO. I think Wilson liked the guy adn if fired, MM would not be rehired elsewhere. He leaves BUffalo intact and with some value this way. It was a late night, save face plan.

I think the Bills have to follow NFL guidelines on hiring which requires some diverse candidates getting a look but should have a coach in a week. As for the Shrine game, Modrak is still in place as are scouts if a coach is not in place.

564952[/snapback]

Marv probably already has talked to Jerry Gray and Ted Cottrell.

Now we can hire a real coach.

Kirk Ferentz

To quote ESPN:

If there are any terms other than "see ya buddy" I'm apalled. He quit. He forgoes his salary and anything he was about to earn for bailing out.

564977[/snapback]

Now what guy in his right mind would bail out on a contract for millions without some financial incentive for so doing. I'd be willing to bet there is a "secret" financial settlement which we will be hearing about in the next week or two.

I agree. Remember last week the original report was that talks were not going so well between Ralph and MM -- and that MM was expected to be fired. My only question is, if they reached some kind of compromise, why wasn't the trigger pulled back then rather than waiting a week -- a week during which MM did actually fire several of his assistants?

My guess is that MM was beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable about the surrounding environment in Buffalo. He no longer had his biggest defender TD at his side either. I also believe that MM has stewed over the whole Moulds situation since it happened. By that, I don't mean that he didn't get over what Moulds did -- but I don't think he liked being placed in the situation where an 87-year old owner had to give his blessing on whether or not to suspend a player. It made MM look very weak, which is why he lost the PR battle over that incident to Moulds.

I think, in watching what's happened over the last week, MM came to the conclusion that things would get worse from this perspective before they got better. Maybe he went into Ralph's office making demands, rather than issuing a resignation -- and some resulting deal was later struck.

The problem with all of this, to me isn't that MM quit. I think he was a lame-duck coach as it was, with only the fact that TD had signed him to such a long contract -- one that RW didn't want to eat -- keeping him on the sidelines. The problem is that if someone like him is willing to quit, imagine how hard it will be to attract a top candidate!

The problem with all of this, to me isn't that MM quit. I think he was a lame-duck coach as it was, with only the fact that TD had signed him to such a long contract -- one that RW didn't want to eat -- keeping him on the sidelines. The problem is that if someone like him is willing to quit, imagine how hard it will be to attract a top candidate!

565044[/snapback]

I agree...the other problem is, no matter what you think of the end result (TD & MM out, Marv in!) anyone who loves this team has to be taken aback by how poorly it was all handled...Ralph had to have known he was going to give TD the boot, after that Chargers debacle. It just seemed like he had no plan, other than to fire TD. Beyond that, it has all been a scramble, with little thought. Mularkey should have been fired with TD, his move this week was like Belichek resigning one day after accepting the NY Jets HC position, to get back at Parcells.

I know Mularkey wasn't likely quitting out of spite, but I think he was wise to get out, for himself...if he had stayed, 2006 had disaster written all over it. For those who like Irwin Allen flicks, stay tuned, 2006 could still turn out to be a beauty!