No one knows...

buckeyemike

IMO, MM HAD to resign. He obviously saw himself as the odd man out, and the last holdover of TD's (except Modrak...maybe). Nevertheless, I was surprised by the timing of it.

Listen, we have no idea what's going to happen here. Marv's a bright guy, but the guys on Sirius NFL radio this AM were wondering if he and Mr. Wilson were a) senile, or b) had lost their minds.

I would like to see Jim Haslett come in here, but I have my reservations about him. The Saints always underachieved with Haslett, so that would probably be a wash, compared with recent seasons in Buffalo. However, Jim Haslett managed to keep that team fairly intact, facing obstacles no team in the 85 year history of the NFL has had to face.

Many on this board got what they wanted with the housecleaning...now we need to see if there will be success or complete unmitigated disaster. And I'm seeing both predictions here.

The pat answer? I don't know what will happen...and neither do any of you.

Mike

IMO, MM HAD to resign.  He obviously saw himself as the odd man out, and the last holdover of TD's (except Modrak...maybe).  Nevertheless, I was surprised by the timing of it.

Listen, we have no idea what's going to happen here.  Marv's a bright guy, but the guys on Sirius NFL radio this AM were wondering if he and Mr. Wilson were a) senile, or b) had lost their minds.

I would like to see Jim Haslett come in here, but I have my reservations about him.  The Saints always underachieved with Haslett, so that would probably be a wash, compared with recent seasons in Buffalo.  However, Jim Haslett managed to keep that team fairly intact, facing obstacles no team in the 85 year history of the NFL has had to face.

Many on this board got what they wanted with the housecleaning...now we need to see if there will be success or complete unmitigated disaster.  And I'm seeing both predictions here. 

The pat answer?  I don't know what will happen...and neither do any of you.

Mike

564910[/snapback]

mularky didn't have to resign.........if he went out next year, won some games for a change, people's minds would change pretty quick about the guy.......he failed here, and i'm not sorry to see him go, but he quit and you can't paint that with another brush.......

I would like to see Jim Haslett come in here, but I have my reservations about him.  The Saints always underachieved with Haslett, so that would probably be a wash, compared with recent seasons in Buffalo.  However, Jim Haslett managed to keep that team fairly intact, facing obstacles no team in the 85 year history of the NFL has had to face.

564910[/snapback]

A guy who admitted to taking steroids (only for a little bit in the offseason......riiiiiiiight!), led a habitually underachieving team in New Orleans that folded @ the end of the season annually, AND accused one of the greatest Bills (and, arguably, my favorite all-time Bill) of also using steriods?

No thanks.

A guy who admitted to taking steroids (only for a little bit in the offseason......riiiiiiiight!), led a habitually underachieving team in New Orleans that folded @ the end of the season annually, AND accused one of the greatest Bills (and, arguably, my favorite all-time Bill) of also using steriods?

No thanks.

564937[/snapback]

Henderson Rich, Henderson! <_<;)

No thanks.

564937[/snapback]

Who's on your list Rich? I was surprised to not see Sherman on the list in the D&C article this morning.

IMO, MM HAD to resign.  He obviously saw himself as the odd man out, and the last holdover of TD's (except Modrak...maybe).  Nevertheless, I was surprised by the timing of it.

Listen, we have no idea what's going to happen here.  Marv's a bright guy, but the guys on Sirius NFL radio this AM were wondering if he and Mr. Wilson were a) senile, or b) had lost their minds.

Many on this board got what they wanted with the housecleaning...now we need to see if there will be success or complete unmitigated disaster.  And I'm seeing both predictions here. 

The pat answer?  I don't know what will happen...and neither do any of you.

Mike

564910[/snapback]

Alright, everyone can stop using the phrase "I don't know what will happen and neither do any of you". I think we all understand that is a firm grasp of the obvious. The point of boards like this is to bat around what we think or want to happen, no matter how smart, stupid, or irrelevant some of the ideas are. I think this is a good forum to discuss issues as fans.

Anyhow, I'm really interested to see how this shakes out. I'm really skeptical about Haslet and 2 years ago, I would have said Cotrell was a good candidate. At this point, I'm not sure. I'm not necessarily one who believes that a person needs to be hired with ties to the organization. Let's interview some new blood along with the old. The timing of this whole thing is intersting!

but I DO know ................

We will hire a new coaching staff ....... and ......

20% of the posters at TBD will say the new staff will immediatly turn the franchise around and predict a Super Bowl win this next season.

20% of the posters at TBD will say the new staff is the worst possible picks that the team could have made, and predict the team will be moving to ______ (fill in the blank) within the next three years.

60% of the posters will just get sick of all of the bickering and start posting less and less.

20% of the posters at TBD will say the new staff will immediatly turn the franchise around and predict a Super Bowl win this next season.

20% of the posters at TBD will say the new staff is the worst possible picks that the team could have made, and predict the team will be moving to ______ (fill in the blank) within the next three years.

60% of the posters will just get sick of all of the bickering and start posting less and less.

565087[/snapback]

Are you some kind of mind reader???

565087[/snapback]

The percentage on the posts whining about posts?

In thinking more and more about Haslett, I think he'd be extreme. Either extremely good (because he learned what not to do with NO and has grown as a coach) or an extreme disaster (because he's just not smart enough to match wits with Belichek or Saban 4xs a year).

I will say that I'm glad I don't have to make that decision and have faith that Marv will find the right guy for the job.

Why is it widely considered that New Orleans underachieved? They have Aaron Brooks (cannon arm, shoddy decisions), Deuce McAllister (Mr. IR himself) and Joe Horn (one of the NFL's better wideouts.) I'm not sure there's much else going on there.

Haslett was 45-51 in six seasons with the team (19-29 @ home, 26-22 on the road), but 42-38 when you take out the 3-13 season they had this year in an impossible situation after the hurricane. He led the 2000 team to the only playoff victory in franchise history.

Playing in a division where in the past 4 years, Tampa has won a Super Bowl, Carolina went to the Super Bowl, and the Falcons made it to the NFC title game, I don't understand how we call the Saints underachieving. Does anybody really think they have good players???

Haslett was 45-51 in six seasons with the team (19-29 @ home, 26-22 on the road), but 42-38 when you take out the 3-13 season they had this year in an impossible situation after the hurricane.  He led the 2000 team to the only playoff victory in franchise history. 

565131[/snapback]

True, but he also compiled the following stats in the later months of the season (November, December, January):

November

9-12

December

10-16

January

1-1

Even by taking off last season's horrible stats, you're left w/ the following:

November

8-10

December

10-12

January

1-0

In the 6 Novembers, 6 Decembers, and 2 Januarys Haslett coached the Saints:

Months where Saints were above .500 mark: 4

Months where Saints were @ .500 mark: 2

Months where Saints were below .500 mark: 8

No thanks.

564937[/snapback]

i hate to keep repeating myself, but most everyone who fought in the trenches took steroids in the 80s. it's common knowledge. you don't think that 300 pounders (and even 280 pounders) started to appear in bunches for the first time ever simply because they more conscious about consuming more protein, do you?