We can debate who we all want as HC all day...

The Bills job is NOT the primo job available in the NFL. Levy and Wilson may call on Sherman, but he may wait for a better job, and leave us hanging. Then it becomes: do we want to wait for Sherman, or go to #2, #3, etc. So keep that in mind before you criticize the Bills for not getting the guy you wanted. The top candidates may not want to coach the Bills.

PTR

The Bills job is NOT the primo job available in the NFL.  Levy and Wilson may call on Sherman, but he may wait for a better job, and leave us hanging.  Then it becomes: do we want to wait for Sherman, or go to #2, #3, etc.  So keep that in mind before you criticize the Bills for not getting the guy you wanted.  The top candidates may not want to coach the Bills.

PTR

564518[/snapback]

Exactly. I'd be willing to put money on it being JH for that exact reason. As long as it isn't another first-time ex-coordinator, I'm fine with whoever it is I guess.

Exactly. I'd be willing to put money on it being JH for that exact reason. As long as it isn't another first-time ex-coordinator, I'm fine with whoever it is I guess.

564523[/snapback]

Haslett is the only experienced coach that would look at Buffalo as a step up. I have it on good authority Haz's wife, a WNY native, desperately wants to come home. I would prefer Haslett over any no-experience assistant.

PTR

Pay will be a huge factor that will eliminate the Martz/Sherman/Fassel types. I could see Jerry Grey, Jim Johnson or Al Saunders or Teddy Cotrell coming cheap as first time coaches. Haslett might come at a discount as I doubt NO paid a lot.

Second issue, would new coach be comfortable with Ralph getting more involved and Marv guiding him.

The Bills job is NOT the primo job available in the NFL.  Levy and Wilson may call on Sherman, but he may wait for a better job, and leave us hanging.  Then it becomes: do we want to wait for Sherman, or go to #2, #3, etc.  So keep that in mind before you criticize the Bills for not getting the guy you wanted.  The top candidates may not want to coach the Bills.

PTR

564518[/snapback]

I think you're vastly overestimating Sherman's market value. He doesn't have pick of the litter. If Marv wants him to be the coach, he'll be the coach. But yeah, without Ferentz there aren't many appealing candidates out there. I'm not a big Fassel guy but I think I'd rather bring him in than Haslett, Sherman, or Cottrell.

Guest BackInDaDay

Fine. I'll do it.

But keep those old bastards out of my office. Ya know how hard it is to get rid of that 'old people' smell!

PTR - I am not sure the Bills HC job is as much of a "dog" as some here (such as you) are stating.

At the very least, let's look at where the other HC openings are and then rank them objectively.

The openings are St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, NY Jets, Oakland and Buffalo (Green Bay, Kansas City, and Minnesota have already filled their coaching positions).

Oakland : 4-12 last year and you'd be working for Al Davis. If the Buffalo situation a worse choice?

Houston: 2-14 last season. You will have David Carr, Reggie Bush and Andre Johnson but no defense.

Still, you will have a full 3 years to turn this boat around. Better than Buffalo I grant ya

New Orleans: What a mess but you'll have Leinart as your new QB, McAllister as your RB and a decent

defense. Of course, you may have no place to play.........

St. Louis: A good situation with an aging core perhaps. A good place to coach IMO

NY Jets: An absolute mess. Questions at QB (durability), $29 mil over tha cap with a terrible defense and

no offensive line. Their run game has to be dealt with (Martin turns 100 next season). Plus there's the NY media to deal with. Worse than Buffalo

The Buffalo situation is problematic more in terms of administration/coaching than it is player skill. The Bills are in good shape capwise. They can be in great shape IF management (the weak point) can optimally deal with Mike Williams and Eric Moulds. Free agency is a huge issue: Can the new "GM" and the other "GM's" do a good job filling in holes on the offensive and defensive line AND handle the Nate Clement's decision well? At the skill positions, the Bills are set (except for 3rd stringer Reed who needs to be resigned) at WR, RB, LB, and CB (except for the already mentioned Clements and Moulds issues). Some at TBD are clammoring for another QB signing. I disagree unless someone can be got on the cheap. Losman should compete with Holcomb. The Bills must deal with the line on both sides of the ball as the absolute priority of this offseason. They also have TE issues.

A VETERAN head coach, should not be unwilling to take this team AS IS and make it play 500 ball. Above 500 is the trick. There is no doubt in my mind the Bills could get Haslet tomorrow. But do we want him? I DON'T want him but he is not a disaster merely a poorer choice. The advantage of bringing Haslet in is the speed at which it can be done and assistants signed. I prefer Jim as DC. There are several veteran coaches out there: Mariucci, Fassel, Rhodes, Sherman, Capers, (Reeves?), Turner (no!), Jauron plus Haslet. Promoting Gray IS an option (not my favorite).

That is more head coaches than openings available. Plus, as I have said, the Bills situation is not the worst in every aspect. A STRONG , veteran head coach would see this as a decent opportunity that is well paid.

Not too shabby a situation.

-RnJ

Haslett is the only experienced coach that would look at Buffalo as a step up.  I have it on good authority Haz's wife, a WNY native, desperately wants to come home.  I would prefer Haslett over any no-experience assistant.

PTR

564530[/snapback]

I could see Jim Bates wanting the job bad. The guy has been overlooked, his players like to play for him, and he established quite a resurrection for Miami in the interim position. They just had Saban on the radar from the get-go. It'd be nice to have a guy who believes in good defense and is old enough not to be threatened by bringing in top talent to coach the offense.

PTR - I am not sure the Bills HC job is as much of a "dog" as some here (such as you) are stating.

At the very least, let's look at where the other HC openings are and then rank them objectively.

The openings are St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, NY Jets, Oakland and Buffalo (Green Bay, Kansas City, and Minnesota have already filled their coaching positions).

Oakland : 4-12 last year and you'd be working for Al Davis. If the Buffalo situation a worse choice?

Houston: 2-14 last season. You will have David Carr, Reggie Bush and Andre Johnson but no defense.

Still, you will have a full 3 years to turn this boat around. Better than Buffalo I grant ya

New Orleans: What a mess but you'll have Leinart as your new QB, McAllister as your RB and a decent

defense. Of course, you may have no place to play.........

St. Louis: A good situation with an aging core perhaps. A good place to coach IMO

NY Jets: An absolute mess. Questions at QB (durability), $29 mil over tha cap with a terrible defense and

no offensive line. Their run game has to be dealt with (Martin turns 100 next season). Plus there's the NY media to deal with. Worse than Buffalo

The Buffalo situation is problematic more in terms of administration/coaching than it is player skill. The Bills are in good shape capwise. They can be in great shape IF management (the weak point) can optimally deal with Mike Williams and Eric Moulds. Free agency is a huge issue: Can the new "GM" and the other "GM's" do a good job filling in holes on the offensive and defensive line AND handle the Nate Clement's decision well? At the skill positions, the Bills are set (except for 3rd stringer Reed who needs to be resigned) at WR, RB, LB, and CB (except for the already mentioned Clements and Moulds issues). Some at TBD are clammoring for another QB signing. I disagree unless someone can be got on the cheap. Losman should compete with Holcomb. The Bills must deal with the line on both sides of the ball as the absolute priority of this offseason. They also have TE issues.

A VETERAN head coach, should not be unwilling to take this team AS IS and make it play 500 ball. Above 500 is the trick. There is no doubt in my mind the Bills could get Haslet tomorrow. But do we want him? I DON'T want him but he is not a disaster merely a poorer choice. The advantage of bringing Haslet in is the speed at which it can be done and assistants signed.  I prefer Jim as DC. There are several veteran coaches out there: Mariucci, Fassel, Rhodes, Sherman, Capers, (Reeves?), Turner (no!), Jauron plus Haslet. Promoting Gray IS an option (not my favorite).

That is more head coaches than openings available. Plus, as I have said, the Bills situation is not the worst in every aspect. A STRONG , veteran head coach would see this as a decent opportunity that is well paid.

Not too shabby a situation.

-RnJ

564774[/snapback]

Why in the world would you put Grey in over Cotrell? Getting a coach here is not a problem there are a ton of guys out there that would love to coach an NFL team. I think most coaches want some type of challange, except phil jackson of the nba. Why would you want to do the John gruden thing and take over some team another coach built up?

Fine. I'll do it.

But keep those old bastards out of my office.  Ya know how hard it is to get rid of that 'old people' smell!

564570[/snapback]

Too late. They called me to OBD and told me to wear my suit. :(

Bartender for the post conference lunch ? Not the gig I had in mind. :(:lol:

You think these guys are going to demand huge money? They just want HC jobs. The only "big money" guy out there is Mooch, and he has already said he plans to take some time off.

564894[/snapback]

the point is we shouldn't lose out on any of these guys because of money.......in the past, we have settled for unproven/cheap candidates over proven/expensive candidates.......it should not happen again, and if it does ralph deserves to be called out for it........

same applies to coordinators and position coaches.........

Guest BackInDaDay
Too late. They called me to OBD and told me to wear my suit.  :lol:

Bartender for the post conference lunch ? Not the gig I had in mind.  :(  :lol:

564888[/snapback]

It might pay more, but you'll have to put up with Ralph telling you how to mix the drinks. At this point, the busiest person at OBD could well be a bartender. :(

More of the same, eh?