Your Top 5 (or 10) for 2006

bartshan-83

Who would you vote as your top 5 or 10 teams for next year?

I put some thought into it and here goes:

1. Ohio St. -- Takes over top spot after Vince declared. If the QB situation wasn't such a mess at the beginning of the season, maybe Buckeyes would have been in the title game instead of Tejas. Gonna miss those LBs and Santonio, but plenty of talent left. And maybe the Fiesta Bowl clinic still stings, but Troy Smith impresses the hell out of me.

2. Notre Dame -- Homerish? Maybe, but I have my reasons. Best QB in the nation in probably the best offense. Stovall will be offset and exceeded by McKnight's return, defense lost it's heart (Hoyte), but thats about it. The rest of the unit should improve (and if you are listening Charlie, chain Ambrose Wooden to the bench). Experienced team, great recruiting class and favorable schedule (PSU, Michigan, UCLA @ South Bend). Very much looking forward to season finale re-match vs. Southern Cal.

3. LSU -- IF, IF they can settle the QB controversy that they will have, I like them very much. They did lose a couple good players, but I just loved the way they bounced back from SEC title game (which was basically a home game for UG) and smacked the sh-- out the Canes.

4. Florida -- I don't think Urban knew what he was getting into in the SEC, and I don't think Leak was ready for new offense. The growing pains are gone and UF has plenty of talent. Tough losses last year were all on the road. I think their 2006 schedule is easier and supposedly they have a very good recruiting class (says ESPN at least).

5. OU -- I think the Sooners reclaim the Big 12. I can't comment on UT's QB situation but I read the only other QB they have is a redshit freshman. Not gonna replace Vince in any capacity. Bomar will be better and AP should be in the Heisman running again (if he stays healthy he is the best back in the country IMO). The defense is solid and they finished on an upswing (a last second loss at ranked Texas Tech away from winning their final seven games in a row). And Stoops can coach a little...

Next couple (in somewhat order, kind of... :P )

Southern Cal

Texas

WVU

Auburn

Miami/Michigan/PSU

Final note...In case any of you missed it, Pat Forde from ESPN did a run-down as well of the top 25 (before Vince declared however).

2006 Top 25

Look, I'm a loyal Buckeye fan who never misses a game but not blind to reality. I realize who is returning on Offense but they are losing almost everyone on D.

Too many first year starters on D means they will have to win 35-28 most weeks and that will eventually catch up to them.

I'm thinking 7-9 wins but hoping I'm wrong and they surprise me. QB Smith is usually good for a couple bad games each year. Talented but erratic and prone to turnovers.

Don't leave Penn St. out of that Top 10. Loaded with good young players.

Not sure what to make of '06 Bart, but I'll take a crack at it...

1) LSU- Amazing what a big bowl victory can do to boost a team through winter conditioning, spring practice, and into next fall.

2) Notre Dame- They have everything you could ask on offense; just need some DB's who won't get torched.

3) Ohio State- Offense will be solid, but I'd like them a lot better if Holmes stayed for his senior year. Ginn has shown flashes but not consistency. Defense will be a huge ?.

4) Southern Cal- They have lost the greatest group of players in school history. Everyone knew Leinart, Bush, and White were gone, but losing juniors OT Winston Justice and S Darnell Bing will hurt. They will have Herschel Dennis at RB (he started as a frosh before Bush and White arrived, and sat out a year due to injury, so he's a senior now) and QB's Booty and Sanchez (#1 recruit in country from two years ago.) I have to assume Carrol will have some better athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

5) Florida- Last chance for Leak to live up to the high expectations that followed him to UF. He showed an ability to execute Meyer's offense toward the end of the year, and Meyer showed the ability to be flexible and alter plays that didn't suit Leak's talents. Even in the SEC, it will be rare when they are not more athletic team than their opponent.

6) West Virginia- Impressive young team who beat Georgia in Atlanta in the Sugar Bowl. I must admit, I had only seen them get romped at home by VT before the Sugar Bowl, and I thought they would be outclassed against UGA.

7) Michigan- Sorry Penn State...I think Mike Hart is healthier this year, and even if he's not, Grady proved he can carry the load. Henne should also be better with another year under his belt. The questions will be whether or not the defense can get big stops, and if Lloyd Carr can actually win a game that matters.

8/9/10) Penn St, Oklahoma, and Miami in whatever order you want....

113) University of Buffalo- Under new coach Turner Gill, the administration and the community would love to see a two-win season.

Don't be so surprised.  They have a lot of young talent returning, plus from what I read on Rivals.com, they have a pretty nice recruiting class coming in.

583249[/snapback]

I agree, the recruiting class is shaping up nicely. Les Miles hasn't missed a beat since taking over, i'm impressed so far. I can't wait to see Keiland Williams, I hear he has the potential to leave a big mark at LSU.

I just figure with all that we lost this year, and with the semi QB controversy since Flynn played like Tommy Hodson in the Peach Bowl. Plus our young talent will be great, but they are still just that, young.

Don't get me wrong, If they would indeed come out preseason #1, I'd be thrilled.

Who would you place at #1?

583975[/snapback]

While that wasn't directed as me, I'll steal the question real quick because I am noticing a strange trend. Usually every homer with a top 10 team is falling over himself to proclaim his squad as #1. This year seems strangely different.

No one seems to want to give their own team enough credit for the top spot. I mean I could make the argument that Notre Dame is the best team in the country, but I don't think I really believe that. We lost two weapons on offense and our defense was shaky at best last year.

In this very thread fans of Ohio St. and LSU are saying the same things, to a degree. There doesn't seem to be any one dominant force in college football for next year since Vince declared. I refuse to believe that a West Virginia is the nation's best team, but since I have eliminated my Irish and I have heard similar statements from LSU and OSU fans, I wonder who really is the best.

Could be a very interesting season next year...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.