Racism in the US

Mickey

I never thought that whether or not racism is a problem in America, or even a significant one, would be a seriously disputed notion. Apparently there is which is why so many claims of racism on this board are treated as if they were made up, exagerrated, overblown, etc. Measuring racism is not an easy thing to do. Racists don't exactly check in with regularly available reports. There are however some statistics available that shed some light on the question.

Fortunately, the FBI collects data on hate crimes, including where the police themselves concluded that the crime was motivated by racial hatred. Other stats on other motivations, such as ethnicity, religion and sexuality, are also tracked but here, I will stick to race. Please understand that I am not of a mind to think that murdering someone because you are a sadistic whack is not as bad as murdering someone because you are a racist sadistic whack. That is not the point here. Save the objections to hate crime legislation for another day, this is just about the numbers and what they say about racism in the US.

Note that not all jurisdictions or law enforcement agencies report their data and among those that do, not all of them are able to get their numbers in every quarter. For example, in 2000, agencies reported covering around 84% of the country and among those, 10% were unable to report all of their numbers but 90% did. That means that these numbers are less than they would be if all agencies reported all of the time. Further, with 84% of the country covered and 90% reporting fully, the numbers are pretty comprehensive.

Also note that these numbers include only crimes agains persons, not property. Thus, if a racist vandalizes a person's home by spraypainting a swastika on the door, I am not including it just to focus on the most serious offenses, those committed against persons such as rape, murder and assualt. Lastly, note that I am giving the numbers just for "single bias" crimes. Sometimes a given crime against a person can be motivated by more than one factor tracked in hate crime stats. For example, a crook who assaults a gay black man for being gay and being black would find his crime reported in the "multiple bias" section. Since we are talking about the significance of racism, I thought it would avoid some criticisms by sticking to crimes that were motivated by race and not some other factor tracked such as religion or sexual orientation. The result though is that I am leaving out a lot of crimes where racism was a significant factor.

2000:

There were 4,337 racially motivated crimes and 2,884, or 66% of them were against blacks. Anti-white crimes accounted for 20% of the total. White offenders committed 84% of the anti-black crimes while blacks were responsible for 59% of the anti-white crimes. Racially motivated crimes that year included 10 murders, 4 rapes and 1,685 assaults among others.

2001:

There were a total of 5,290 racially motivated criminal incidents and of those, 2,899 were against blacks, or 54%, and of those, 71% were committed by whites. Anti-white crimes, 891 of them or 17% of all racially motivated criminal incidents were committed by blacks 58% of the time. There were 4 racially motivated murders, 2 rapes and 1,779 assaults.

2002:

There were 3,642 racially motivated crimes, again, these are single bias crimes with the lone bias being race. Of those, 2,486 were anti-black crimes, or 68% of the total. 719 anti-white crimes were committed which is 29% of the total. 68% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 69% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks. The racially motivated crimes include 4 murders, 2 rapes and 1,608 assaults.

2003:

There were 3,844 criminal incidents motivated by race. 2,548 (66%) were anti-black incidents and 830 (21.5%) were anti-white. 64.4% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites while 52% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks. The crimes include 5 murders, 1 rape and 1,530 assaults.

2004:

There were 4,042 racially motivated criminal incidents. 2,731 (68%) were against blacks and 829 (21%) against whites. 66% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 60% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks. The crimes committed include 3 murders, 4 rapes and 1,642 assaults.

All told, there were 21,155 criminal incidents motivated by racism from 2000-2004. 13,548 of those were perpetrated against blacks which is 64% of all racially motivated criminal incidents. Blacks make up only about 12.9% of the population at large according to the 2005 CIA World Fact Book (CIA Factbook) and yet are the victims of 64% of racially motivated crimes in the US. In that time span, there were 26 racially motivated murders, 13 rapes and 8,244 assaults.

Obviously, the racism present in this country includes far more than just the racially motivated crimes enumerated here and these numbers do not address the racism that may be out there in so many other ways besides racially motivated crime. These can all be found at the FBI's web site at FBI

I never thought that whether or not racism is a problem in America, or even a significant one, would be a seriously disputed notion.  Apparently there is which is why so many claims of racism on this board are treated as if they were made up, exagerrated, overblown, etc.  Measuring racism is not an easy thing to do.  Racists don't exactly check in with regularly available reports.  There are however some statistics available that shed some light on the question.    

Fortunately, the FBI collects data on hate crimes, including where the police themselves concluded that the crime was motivated by racial hatred.  Other stats on other motivations, such as ethnicity, religion and sexuality, are also tracked but here, I will stick to race.  Please understand that I am not of a mind to think that murdering someone because you are a sadistic whack is not as bad as murdering someone because you are a racist sadistic whack.  That is not the point here.  Save the objections to hate crime legislation for another day, this is just about the numbers and what they say about racism in the US.

Note that not all jurisdictions or law enforcement agencies report their data and among those that do, not all of them are able to get their numbers in every quarter.  For example, in 2000, agencies reported covering around 84% of the country and among those, 10% were unable to report all of their numbers but 90% did. That means that these numbers are less than they would be if all agencies reported all of the time.  Further, with 84% of the country covered and 90% reporting fully, the numbers are pretty comprehensive.

Also note that these numbers include only crimes agains persons, not property.  Thus, if a racist vandalizes a person's home by spraypainting a swastika on the door, I am not including it just to focus on the most serious offenses, those committed against persons such as rape, murder and assualt.  Lastly, note that I am giving the numbers just for "single bias" crimes.  Sometimes a  given crime against a person can be motivated by more than one factor tracked in hate crime stats.  For example, a crook who assaults a gay black man for being gay and being black would find his crime reported in the "multiple bias" section.  Since we are talking about the significance of racism, I thought it would avoid some criticisms by sticking to crimes that were motivated by race and not some other factor tracked such as religion or sexual orientation.  The result though is that I am leaving out a lot of crimes where racism was a significant factor. 

2000:

There were 4,337 racially motivated crimes and 2,884, or 66% of them were against blacks.  Anti-white crimes accounted for 20% of the total.  White offenders committed 84% of the anti-black crimes while blacks were responsible for 59% of the anti-white crimes.  Racially motivated crimes that year included 10 murders, 4 rapes and 1,685 assaults among others.

2001:

There were a total of 5,290 racially motivated criminal incidents and of those, 2,899 were against blacks, or 54%, and of those, 71% were committed by whites.  Anti-white crimes, 891 of them or 17% of all racially motivated criminal incidents were committed by blacks 58% of the time.  There were 4 racially motivated murders, 2 rapes and 1,779 assaults.

2002:

There were 3,642 racially motivated crimes, again, these are single bias crimes with the lone bias being race.  Of those, 2,486 were anti-black crimes, or 68% of the total.  719 anti-white crimes were committed which is 29% of the total.  68% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 69% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The racially motivated crimes include 4 murders, 2 rapes and 1,608 assaults.

2003:

There were 3,844 criminal incidents motivated by race.  2,548 (66%) were anti-black incidents and 830 (21.5%) were anti-white.  64.4% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites while 52% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The crimes include 5 murders, 1 rape and 1,530 assaults.

2004:

There were 4,042 racially motivated criminal incidents.  2,731 (68%) were against blacks and 829 (21%) against whites.  66% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 60% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The crimes committed include 3 murders, 4 rapes and 1,642 assaults.

All told, there were 21,155 criminal incidents motivated by racism from 2000-2004.  13,548 of those were perpetrated against blacks which is 64% of all racially motivated criminal incidents.  Blacks make up only about 12.9% of the population at large according to the 2005 CIA World Fact Book (CIA Factbook) and yet are the victims of 64% of racially motivated crimes in the US.  In that time span, there were 26 racially motivated murders, 13 rapes and 8,244 assaults. 

Obviously, the racism present in this country includes far more than just the racially motivated crimes enumerated here and these numbers do not address the racism that may be out there in so many other ways besides racially motivated crime.  These can all be found at the FBI's web site at FBI

563252[/snapback]

Just for a statistical perspective on this. The US Census bureau estimates the current US population (July 2005) to be 296,410,404. Even if all 21,155 "racially motivated criminal incidents" were perpetrated by different individuals and all occured in a single year rather than a 5 year period, this would account for 0.0071% of the entire population as perpetrating racially motivated "hate" crimes. Clearly this is a much bigger problem than I previously realized. :blink:

Just for a statistical perspective on this.  The US Census bureau estimates the current US population (July 2005) to be 296,410,404.  Even if all 21,155 "racially motivated criminal incidents" were perpetrated by different individuals and all occured in a single year rather than a 5 year period, this would account for 0.0071% of the entire population as perpetrating racially motivated "hate" crimes.  Clearly this is a much bigger problem than I previously realized.  :blink:

563390[/snapback]

It would be interesting to see how this percentage compares with "racially motivated criminal incidents" in other countries who say that the U.S. has a high percentage of "racially motivated criminal incidents."

Also, these stats do not mention repeat offenders, as you stated in your post? I highly doubt that all of these crimes are perpetrated by unique individuals, which would mean that your 0.0071% number is too high.

It would be interesting to see how this percentage compares with "racially motivated criminal incidents" in other countries who say that the U.S. has a high percentage of "racially motivated criminal incidents."

Also, these stats do not mention repeat offenders, as you stated in your post? I highly doubt that all of these crimes are perpetrated by unique individuals, which would mean that your 0.0071% number is too high.

563441[/snapback]

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics for other nations as well.

The 0.0071% is definitely too high, but I am expecting to hear that it is too low because Mickey removed all property and "multiple bias" crimes from his list. I arbitrarily biased the number to the high side to TRY to stave off the cries of biasing it to the low side.

Just for a statistical perspective on this.  The US Census bureau estimates the current US population (July 2005) to be 296,410,404.  Even if all 21,155 "racially motivated criminal incidents" were perpetrated by different individuals and all occured in a single year rather than a 5 year period, this would account for 0.0071% of the entire population as perpetrating racially motivated "hate" crimes.  Clearly this is a much bigger problem than I previously realized.  :blink:

563390[/snapback]

Ummm....the point wasn't that racist crime is signigicant in terms of overall crime. Thanks for making the point anyway because the obvious needs pointing out.

The issue is racism, not just the worst form of it, ie, racially motivated crime. Unfortunately, they don't keep stats on non-criminal racism. Besides, I'm not sure what your point would be even if you assumed that the incidence of criminal racism occurred at the same frequency as all other racism. Is it that blacks are persecuted, they just aren't persecuted enough for you to care? How many racially motivated assaults have to happen for you to consider it to be a problem that can be discussed hereabouts without the immediate reaction that all claims of racism are false or overblown?

I never thought that whether or not racism is a problem in America, or even a significant one, would be a seriously disputed notion.  Apparently there is which is why so many claims of racism on this board are treated as if they were made up, exagerrated, overblown, etc.  Measuring racism is not an easy thing to do.  Racists don't exactly check in with regularly available reports.  There are however some statistics available that shed some light on the question.   

Fortunately, the FBI collects data on hate crimes, including where the police themselves concluded that the crime was motivated by racial hatred.  Other stats on other motivations, such as ethnicity, religion and sexuality, are also tracked but here, I will stick to race.  Please understand that I am not of a mind to think that murdering someone because you are a sadistic whack is not as bad as murdering someone because you are a racist sadistic whack.  That is not the point here.  Save the objections to hate crime legislation for another day, this is just about the numbers and what they say about racism in the US.

Note that not all jurisdictions or law enforcement agencies report their data and among those that do, not all of them are able to get their numbers in every quarter.  For example, in 2000, agencies reported covering around 84% of the country and among those, 10% were unable to report all of their numbers but 90% did. That eans that these numbers are less than they would be if all agencies reported all of the time.  Further, with 84% of the country covered and 90% reporting fully, the numbers are pretty comprehensive.

Also note that these numbers include only crimes agains persons, not property.  Thus, if a racist vandalizes a person's home by spraypainting a swastika on the door, I am not including it just to focus on the most serious offenses, those committed against persons such as rape, murder and assualt.  Lastly, note that I am giving the numbers just for "single bias" crimes.  Sometimes a  given crime against a person can be motivated by more than one factor tracked in hate crime stats.  For example, a crook who assaults a gay black man for being gay and being black would find his crime reported in the "multiple bias" section.  Since we are talking about the significance of racism, I thought it would avoid some criticisms by sticking to crimes that were motivated by race and not some other factor tracked such as religion or sexual orientation.  The result though is that I am leaving out a lot of crimes where racism was a significant factor. 

2000:

There were 4,337 racially motivated crimes and 2,884, or 66% of them were against blacks.  Anti-white crimes accounted for 20% of the total.  White offenders committed 84% of the anti-black crimes while blacks were responsible for 59% of the anti-white crimes.  Racially motivated crimes that year included 10 murders, 4 rapes and 1,685 assaults among others.

2001:

There were a total of 5,290 racially motivated criminal incidents and of those, 2,899 were against blacks, or 54%, and of those, 71% were committed by whites.  Anti-white crimes, 891 of them or 17% of all racially motivated criminal incidents were committed by blacks 58% of the time.  There were 4 racially motivated murders, 2 rapes and 1,779 assaults.

2002:

There were 3,642 racially motivated crimes, again, these are single bias crimes with the lone bias being race.  Of those, 2,486 were anti-black crimes, or 68% of the total.  719 anti-white crimes were committed which is 29% of the total.  68% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 69% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The racially motivated crimes include 4 murders, 2 rapes and 1,608 assaults.

2003:

There were 3,844 criminal incidents motivated by race.  2,548 (66%) were anti-black incidents and 830 (21.5%) were anti-white.  64.4% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites while 52% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The crimes include 5 murders, 1 rape and 1,530 assaults.

2004:

There were 4,042 racially motivated criminal incidents.  2,731 (68%) were against blacks and 829 (21%) against whites.  66% of the anti-black crimes were committed by whites and 60% of the anti-white crimes were committed by blacks.  The crimes committed include 3 murders, 4 rapes and 1,642 assaults.

All told, there were 21,155 criminal incidents motivated by racism from 2000-2004.  13,548 of those were perpetrated against blacks which is 64% of all racially motivated criminal incidents.  Blacks make up only about 12.9% of the population at large according to the 2005 CIA World Fact Book (CIA Factbook) and yet are the victims of 64% of racially motivated crimes in the US.  In that time span, there were 26 racially motivated murders, 13 rapes and 8,244 assaults. 

Obviously, the racism present in this country includes far more than just the racially motivated crimes enumerated here and these numbers do not address the racism that may be out there in so many other ways besides racially motivated crime.  These can all be found at the FBI's web site at FBI

563252[/snapback]

Spend a few days in downtown Cincinnati and near neighborhoods. If you are white, you will be routinely verbally accosted by blacks. It would make headlines if it were reverse.

If your wife or daughters are present, sexual words will rain down If you wait for a bus, you will be jostled and elbowed or otherwise provoked into acting so you can be beaten. Park outside a hi-rise, privately owned lot and get noticed as a white, and you come back to spittle all over your windshield. Our crime statistics bleed with black perpetrators. Our 100 or so murders per year are committed - overridingly - by blacks.

And Mickey, do a little math and find out that blacks commit a far greater percentage of so-called hate crimes per capita.

Go back to your FBI stats, and you will detect that 50 - 60% of violent crime are committed by that 12.9%. Cut it in half - black males.

Stop your hatred of whites and recognize where the problems are.

All that's left is for you to accuse me of being a bigot in fine leftish fashion...

563569[/snapback]

It's not a hatred of whites he's suffering from, it's the inability to do much beyond repeating liberal talking points.

The biggest problem in the entire equation is the liberal idea that some magic amount of laws is going to fix something that is seemingly genetically implanted within us. When individuals start treating each other the way they wish to be treated, all of this will be moot.

Of course by then my dogs will be able to return my conversational overtures in my language.

Ummm....the point wasn't that racist crime is signigicant in terms of overall crime.  Thanks for making the point anyway because the obvious needs pointing out.

The issue is racism, not just the worst form of it, ie, racially motivated crime.  Unfortunately, they don't keep stats on non-criminal racism.  Besides, I'm not sure what your point would be even if you assumed that the incidence of criminal racism occurred at the same frequency as all other racism.  Is it that blacks are persecuted, they just aren't persecuted enough for you to care?  How many racially motivated assaults have to happen for you to consider it to be a problem that can be discussed hereabouts without the immediate reaction that all claims of racism are false or overblown?

563552[/snapback]

Mickey, you WANT to see racism everywhere, and thus you do.

I never thought that whether or not racism is a problem in America, or even a significant one, would be a seriously disputed notion.

You bring in statistics that show a very small %age of people in the US commit "racially motivated" crimes. There is a problem, but there is no way that you will convince me that blacks are "persecuted" today with this statistic.

It's not a hatred of whites he's suffering from, it's the inability to do much beyond repeating liberal talking points.

The biggest problem in the entire equation is the liberal idea that some magic amount of laws is going to fix something that is seemingly genetically implanted within us.  When individuals start treating each other the way they wish to be treated, all of this will be moot.

Of course by then my dogs will be able to return my conversational overtures in my language.

563582[/snapback]

Yes. The Golden Rule has taken quite a beating. I got my nuts slapped by some lefties when I first joined this forum, when I related a story from my youth, as me and others would take a bus ride to Buffalo's Fruit Belt to pick up 50-cent work from folks there that were happy to see a kid show up and spiff up their property at a cheap price. Simple commerce.

One can wring hands, B word and moan, blame anything and everything, but the obvious bottom line is that many black Americans are living in violence. Terrible. We in Cincinnati have been villainized by media slant re police shootings. It would be nice if the facts were popularized - the load coming back from MI loaded with PCP, the chap who shot off an officer's hip and hijacked the cruiser befor the gal plugged him, the fine fellow 6' 5" fellow who went after officers with guns drawn with a brick and so forth...

We hear the constant refrain, "he was just about to turn his life around sob-sob-sob". Never mind the darling's rap sheet a mile along. I can't remember the last time I saw a photo of a crime suspect on TV that didn't have the line-up height lines behind him.

The hands of liberals - expecially the many, many, monied ones - drip with society's blood as they ski St. Moritz, travel to Spain, employ their au pair, or jet to NYC for a new wardrobe as a reward for a successful diet - all the while complaining about why the government can't do more for poor folk. Heaven forbid it comes out of their personal purse or their own heart... :blink:

Just for a statistical perspective on this.  The US Census bureau estimates the current US population (July 2005) to be 296,410,404.  Even if all 21,155 "racially motivated criminal incidents" were perpetrated by different individuals and all occured in a single year rather than a 5 year period, this would account for 0.0071% of the entire population as perpetrating racially motivated "hate" crimes.  Clearly this is a much bigger problem than I previously realized.  :o

563390[/snapback]

Wow. That's a damned near oppressive percentage. :blink:

I wonder how many of those are actually against persons. Sure, Mickey broke out the murders, rapes, and assaults...but what about the others? I'm sure certain acts of graffitti and vandalism are counted as "racially motivated criminal incidents"...but is ALL of the rest against property and not persons?

I also wonder what defines a "racially motivated criminal incident". Is the definition a broad or narrow one? Some would say a racial crime is any crime where differing races are involved, whereas others would say explicit evidence of racism is necessary. I suspect the determination here did not tend to either of those extremes...but given that your selection criteria can drastically affect the outcome of any statistical study, one has to wonder nonetheless.

And a related observation: one also has to wonder and the conspicuous absence of four criminal acts involving almost 3000 murders in 2001 that one can easily argue were racially motivated.

Wow.  That's a damned near oppressive percentage.  :blink:

I wonder how many of those are actually against persons.  Sure, Mickey broke out the murders, rapes, and assaults...but what about the others?  I'm sure certain acts of graffitti and vandalism are counted as "racially motivated criminal incidents"...but is ALL of the rest against property and not persons?

I also wonder what defines a "racially motivated criminal incident".  Is the definition a broad or narrow one?  Some would say a racial crime is any crime where differing races are involved, whereas others would say explicit evidence of racism is necessary.  I suspect the determination here did not tend to either of those extremes...but given that your selection criteria can drastically affect the outcome of any statistical study, one has to wonder nonetheless.

And a related observation: one also has to wonder and the conspicuous absence of four criminal acts involving almost 3000 murders in 2001 that one can easily argue were racially motivated.

563708[/snapback]

From the same people who brought you "gun crime" and "assault weapons."

Ummm....the point wasn't that racist crime is signigicant in terms of overall crime.  Thanks for making the point anyway because the obvious needs pointing out.

The issue is racism, not just the worst form of it, ie, racially motivated crime.  Unfortunately, they don't keep stats on non-criminal racism.  Besides, I'm not sure what your point would be even if you assumed that the incidence of criminal racism occurred at the same frequency as all other racism.  Is it that blacks are persecuted, they just aren't persecuted enough for you to care?  How many racially motivated assaults have to happen for you to consider it to be a problem that can be discussed hereabouts without the immediate reaction that all claims of racism are false or overblown?

563552[/snapback]

"When the statistics cannot make your point for you, resort to guilt-trips." - Liberal Handbook, Chapter 3 "How to Turn the Debate When You are Losing," page 35

563552[/snapback]

I agree that racism is an undesirable but real part of our society. I also believe that it is FAR more prevalent than any crime stats will ever show. Moreover, I believe that there are many non-racists in our society.

What do you think is the cause of racism?

What do you think the solution(s) is/are? How do we help the non-racists win over time?

Spend a few days in downtown Cincinnati and near neighborhoods. If you are white, you will be routinely verbally accosted by blacks. It would make headlines if it were reverse.

If your wife or daughters are present, sexual words will rain down  If you wait for a bus, you will be jostled and elbowed or otherwise provoked into acting so you can be beaten.  Park outside a hi-rise, privately owned lot and get noticed as a white, and you come back to spittle all over your windshield. Our crime statistics bleed with black perpetrators. Our 100 or so murders per year are committed - overridingly -  by blacks.

And Mickey, do a little math and find out that blacks commit a far greater percentage of so-called hate crimes per capita.

Go back to your FBI stats, and you will detect that 50 - 60% of violent crime are committed by that 12.9%. Cut it in half - black males.

All that's left is for you to accuse me of being a bigot in fine leftish fashion...

563569[/snapback]

Perhaps you could supply us with a list of your favorite white power web sites?

I would say that a valid answer would have to come from our black members. White people are probably not the best, most objective judges of whether racial prejudice and discrimination are practiced, nor how extensively.

I would say that a valid answer would have to come from our black members.  White people are probably not the best, most objective judges of whether racial prejudice and discrimination are practiced, nor how extensively.

566185[/snapback]

Yeah, because only white people can be raicsts. No such thing as a black racist. :pirate:

WHITE PEOPLE BAD!!!

Mickey, you WANT to see racism everywhere, and thus you do.

You bring in statistics that show a very small %age of people in the US commit "racially motivated" crimes.  There is a problem, but there is no way that you will convince me that blacks are "persecuted" today with this statistic.

563687[/snapback]

They don't keep stats on racism, not sure how they would, but they do keep these stats on racially motivated crime which at least offer us some information on the problem. We both agree that there is "a problem" we apparently just disagree on its scope.

I think it is a problem worth considering. I think it is a problem that should be able to be raised without a knee jerk reaction from some quarters that all claims of racism are false or exagerrated.

An interesting thing about racism, it can regenerate itself. It is not something where once it is defeated it is defeated for all time.