Fairchild a good OC choice

billsboys

Bills Looking At Fairchild: The Bills may be looking to the past for their next offensive coordinator. Steve Fairchild was the running backs coach under Gregg Williams in 2001 and 2002. A report out of St. Louis says the Bills want to talk to him about their opening coordinator spot. He has held the same position with the Rams the past three seasons but only took over the play calling duties when Coach Martz left the team with an illness. The Rams have given the Bills permission to talk to Fairchild who may be out of a job once the Rams hire their new head coach.

They better get him as well as Cottrell. WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG. Just sign them already before they decide to go somewhere else. :P

What is Fairchild's upside, other than the fact that he already knows how to get to the home team's locker room at RWS? He was an emasculated OC for a team constantly criticized for not utilizing a balanced offense.

Sounds like a winner to me!!

What is Fairchild's upside, other than the fact that he already knows how to get to the home team's locker room at RWS?  He was an emasculated OC for a team constantly criticized for not utilizing a balanced offense.

Sounds like a winner to me!!

563209[/snapback]

He's a winner if you like passing to the fullback on the goalline.

I live in St. Louis, and the playcalling got WORSE after Martz went in the hospital. The guy had Faulk, who can still somewhat bring it, and Stephen Jackson, a first round draft choice with tons of ability....and he still averaged 35 passes with 25 runs per game....with a rookie from Hahvahd and another 3rd stringer at QB.

The only reason the Rams are allowing the interview is they are obligated to pay him for next year, whether they fire his ass or not.

Fairchild a good option?!!??! Yikes; some on this board are really desperate to put a positive spin on things.

Personally, if the Bills are going on the cheap and/or only able to get "up-and-comers" due to Mularkey's shaky status, then I would definitely try to raid the Belichick tree of coaching. I'm all for either Josh McDaniels or Pepper Johnson, or both, for the OC and DC positions.

I'm not saying they would be at all interested, but that's where i would focus. At the very least, they know how to win and have been around one of the greatest coaches in recent memory during that span of time. You would think some of that would rub off, not to mention Weis and Crennel aren't looking too shabby at this point in their young head coaching careers.

It's just simple logic in my mind given the circumstances the Bills are in right now...

I posted this in another thread.

I don't see a problem with Fairchild. The ram’s offense was balanced and played well when he took over the play calling duties for Martz.

In the 11 games he called plays in the Rams averaged 21 Points, 245 Yards passing, and 101 yards rushing per game. He also showed good balance with his play calling averaging 35 passes per game, and 25 rushes per game. What’s even more impressive is he did all that with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jamie Martin as his starting QB's. He also has experience as a QB coach, and coached in Buffalo in the past.

I know a lot of people are holding out for a Norv Turner, or X head coach but it's unlikely we spend that type of cash. Fairchild learned a very productive system in St Louis that always seemed to produce great results at the QB position, and in his 11 game stretch this year he really proved that Martz was the problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to add something because I got a response in that thread suggesting his pass/run ratio favored the pass to much. I know people would like to see Willis get 30 carries everyweek, but let's face it, this Bills team got behind a lot and that makes it difficult to run. Despite that they still averaged 9th in the league in run/pass ratio, having a rushing attempt for every 1.57 passes. Fairchild averaged a 1.4 in that category which would have ranked him 7th had he called all the games. He is also a former RB's coach with the Bills when Williams was here, so theirs no doubt that the run oriented stradegy would still be in effect with Fairchild. So don't worry, the guy brings balence, and a system that has made some average QB's put up great numbers.