LOST - "The 23rd Psalm"

duey

"The 23rd Psalm"

Mr. Eko interrogates Charlie about the Virgin Mary statue, Claire begins to lose faith in Charlie when she discovers his secret, and Jack is an interested observer when Kate gives the recovering Sawyer a much-needed haircut.

Seems like a lot longer than a month since we've seen a new episode. Very happy about getting back to it.

On a side note, I have been reading "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien. This is a book seen in Desmonds living area.

http://lost-forum.com/attachment.php?attac...87&d=1129065647

This is one seriously f'ed up book. I'm about half way through, and I'm trying to look for any parallels with the show. We shall see. Anyone else go through this exercise yet?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, I have been reading "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien.  This is a book seen in Desmonds living area.

http://lost-forum.com/attachment.php?attac...87&d=1129065647

This is one seriously f'ed up book.  I'm about half way through, and I'm trying to look for any parallels with the show.  We shall see.  Anyone else go through this exercise yet?

561845[/snapback]

Can you elaborate on "seriously f'ed up" ? I don't read...

Can you elaborate on "seriously f'ed up" ?  I don't read...

561859[/snapback]

My wife asked me the same thing, and its just so hard to explain. I'll give a synopsis when I'm done, but for now I'll just say that it deals a lot with bicycles. :devil:

Exactly!  Have you noticed that there isn't a SINGLE bicycle on the island...  That's weird!!! :devil:

561937[/snapback]

Are they finally back for a long stretch now? like 10 new eps in a row or something? or are we in for more 3 new episodes, a month off, etc.

!@#$ing 'eh right!  The freaking black smoke sh--!  Eko rules!  :D

Sorry...trying to contain myself.  :flirt:

562436[/snapback]

I paused it and watched it slow mo...

There were faces in the smoke. One was Eko as a kid (or at least him or his brother) and the second face looked like his brother as he was being shot.

It looked like the smoke was "scanning him"...

I paused it and watched it slow mo...

There were faces in the smoke. One was Eko as a kid (or at least him or his brother) and the second face looked like his brother as he was being shot.

It looked like the smoke was "scanning him"...

562448[/snapback]

Ha! I just got back from doing the same thing and I agree, though I seem to think it didn't kill him because he didn't back down (similar to Locke last season).

I liked the episode a lot, probably because I think Eko kicks ass. His backstory was fascinating.

Ha!  I just got back from doing the same thing and I agree, though I seem to think it didn't kill him because he didn't back down (similar to Locke last season).

I liked the episode a lot, probably because I think Eko kicks ass.  His backstory was fascinating.

562452[/snapback]

I don't follow the other Lost boards (only this one)...but my friend told me that there was discussion about seeing faces in the smoke when Locke was pulled into the hole last season...

I don't know about that cause I didn't see it...but there are def faces there this time.

Did you think the second face (the one on the left) was Eko's brother or another person? I couldn't tell, but whoever it was looked dead.

Booooooooooooooooring....

wow, this show is traveling downhill FAST....

562445[/snapback]

So stop watching. I can safely say if you didn't like this episode you probably won't like any of them from here on out. Just find another show to watch.

Meanwhile for those of us that aren't on the "Lost is crappy this season" bandwagon I thought it was a great episode. Echo is quickly becoming my favorite character and his origin was amazing. One question I had was is Charlie definately using again or is he just stockpiling in case he starts using again? I can't remember if they've showed him actually using again, but maybe it's just slipping my mind.

So stop watching.  I can safely say if you didn't like this episode you probably won't like any of them from here on out.  Just find another show to watch.

Meanwhile for those of us that aren't on the "Lost is crappy this season" bandwagon I thought it was a great episode.  Echo is quickly becoming my favorite character and his origin was amazing.  One question I had was is Charlie definately using again or is he just stockpiling in case he starts using again?  I can't remember if they've showed him actually using again, but maybe it's just slipping my mind.

562486[/snapback]

If he is using, they haven't showed it. I would like to think he was just stock pilling them like he told claire: "it felt good to have around" (or something like that).

But now that Claire kicked him out...maybe he will start up again.

Ha!  I just got back from doing the same thing and I agree, though I seem to think it didn't kill him because he didn't back down (similar to Locke last season).

I liked the episode a lot, probably because I think Eko kicks ass.  His backstory was fascinating.

562452[/snapback]

I'm on a rooftop antenna and it was raining tonight, so the picture was worse than normal. Hope they replay it on Saturday....

Things are converging. Very good ep that revealed quite a bit about Mr. Eko, and related his story to Charlie's. Interesting how Eko shot the old man to save his brother during that initiation-type deal and take his place in the gang and involvement with drugs (I may have misheard. Was his name Aaron? :flirt:), then the brother dies trying to save Eko. Trying to reconcile it with Charlie, tho, his brother Liam was the one who drew him into the drugs and Charlie who tried to save him and failed. Liam recovered successfully; Charlie remained an addict. Notice that it was the 23rd Psalm, which is the Shepard's prayer, yeah.... BTW -- that was a great scene with the voiceover of it.

What was the writing on the stick?

And, with the writing on the computer, and the blank screen when Jack looked, I think it begs the question of whether Michael is hallucinating the messages. Remember how losing a child on this island has tended to drive people slightly certifiably insane....

I'm on a rooftop antenna and it was raining tonight, so the picture was worse than normal. Hope they replay it on Saturday....

Things are converging. Very good ep that revealed quite a bit about Mr. Eko, and related his story to Charlie's. Interesting how Eko shot the old man to save his brother during that initiation-type deal and take his place in the gang and involvement with drugs (I may have misheard. Was his name Aaron? :flirt:), then the brother dies trying to save Eko. Trying to reconcile it with Charlie, tho, his brother Liam was the one who drew him into the drugs and Charlie who tried to save him and failed. Liam recovered successfully; Charlie remained an addict. Notice that it was the 23rd Psalm, which is the Shepard's prayer, yeah.... BTW -- that was a great scene with the voiceover of it.

What was the writing on the stick?

And, with the writing on the computer, and the blank screen when Jack looked, I think it begs the question of whether Michael is hallucinating the messages. Remember how losing a child on this island has tended to drive people slightly certifiably insane....

562504[/snapback]

I'll have to go back and look at the stick, but they were scripture verses. Psalm 23 was on there as well as "repent" and I think "redemption" but I could be confusing those two.

Eko's brother not only died trying to save Eko, he DID save Eko by allowing him to take his place as a priest (in a round about way) and find redemption. Interesting comparison with Liam...that had slipped my mind.

I thought the same thing with Michael. However, with the film telling them not to use the computer, I feel like someone really is talking to him. But honestly, it could very easily go either way right now.

II don't know about that cause I didn't see it...but there are def faces there this time.

Did you think the second face (the one on the left) was Eko's brother or another person? I couldn't tell, but whoever it was looked dead.

562454[/snapback]

I paused frame by frame (TIVO is awesome!). There was a woman's face in AFrican garb (mother?), the image of the old man he shot with his head bowed, his brother's church, and his brother. This was obviously Eko directly confronting his demons. In a way, it was a cleansing moment for him, i.e. confession, where he forgave himself of his misdeads (He was obviously holding a lot of guilt, and guilt was a theme in this episode). BEcasue he was cleansed of his guilt is why he could tell Charlie confidently that he was a priest.