If you weren't sure of it before

eball

He's a tool. Now he's promoting Ted Cottrell for DC. He said Cottrell "led a turnaround of the Jets' defense" and did marvelous things in Minnesota.

Funny how a guy can be doing such great things yet be fired by two teams. Childress didn't even want to meet with him.

If the Bills hire Cottrell, mediocrity will follow. Of course, some would say that mediocrity is a step up for the Bills' defense, which is fair. The return of Takeo, however, should accomplish that on its' own. I'd like to get somebody in here with a proven track record on his own or a new guy with fresh ideas -- no mediocre retreads, please.

He's a tool.  Now he's promoting Ted Cottrell for DC.  He said Cottrell "led a turnaround of the Jets' defense" and did marvelous things in Minnesota.

Funny how a guy can be doing such great things yet be fired by two teams.  Childress didn't even want to meet with him.

If the Bills hire Cottrell, mediocrity will follow.  Of course, some would say that mediocrity is a step up for the Bills' defense, which is fair.  The return of Takeo, however, should accomplish that on its' own.  I'd like to get somebody in here with a proven track record on his own or a new guy with fresh ideas -- no mediocre retreads, please.

561729[/snapback]

You got this one wrong....Cottrell is class and can coach D....he is NOT a retread.

He's a tool.  Now he's promoting Ted Cottrell for DC.  He said Cottrell "led a turnaround of the Jets' defense" and did marvelous things in Minnesota.

Funny how a guy can be doing such great things yet be fired by two teams.  Childress didn't even want to meet with him.

If the Bills hire Cottrell, mediocrity will follow.  Of course, some would say that mediocrity is a step up for the Bills' defense, which is fair.  The return of Takeo, however, should accomplish that on its' own.  I'd like to get somebody in here with a proven track record on his own or a new guy with fresh ideas -- no mediocre retreads, please.

561729[/snapback]

Don't let your hate for Sullivan twist your view of Cottrell. From what I remember he led the Bills to the #1 defense in the league with guys like Keion Carpenter, Jay Foreman and Keith Newman. The Vikings defense was very good this year, and a big reason for their turnaround. As far as Childress not wanting to meet with him...do you think maybe Childress has his own guy that he wants to bring in, as is the case with most other new HC's? (Mularkey-Gray being a rare exception).

Cool, another thread calling out Jerry Sullivan!!! :w00t:

BTW, Cotrell led the Bills defenses to rankings of 6, 1, and 3 from 1998-2000. His downfall with the Jets, after he had turned their defense around, was more about management decisions- for example, letting Farrior walk while re-signing aging gimps like Mo Lewis and Sam Cowart and Marvin Jones at LB. The Jets recent draft picks of DT Robertson (traded up to get him) and ILB Vilma prove that they know they were lacking in talent. Cotrell took the fall for that.

With the Vikes, the D has been respectable, and Cotrell has done it with many of the same players who the Bills considered either disposable or not worthy of the price they were asking.

I think he'd do better than most here.

I think Cotrell's prospects could be pretty interesting if we drafted Mario Williams and shifted to the 3-4. I'm getting the feeling that Ferguson will not fall to us, and if we get a dominating end, and a raw but talented DT and shift to 3-4 we've suddenly got depth at the line and a pretty fearsome pass rush with Schobel, Adams and Williams.

LBs are easier to come by, and with Crowell's emergence and either a cheap upgrade or more defined role for Posey I think Cotrell could do some damage. Just a thought. A lot of chips would have to fall our way for it to work though and there would still be questions about run support, ie could this personnel do it?

561729[/snapback]

While I am all for going with guys with "fresh ideas", I think bringing back Ted Cottrell would be far from the worst thing the Bills could do. If Cottrell came back to Buffalo, he would, arguably, coming in to a situation with a better core of players than the Jets and Vikings had when he got there. It took him a little while in both places, but he had both playing very good defense at one time or another.

With the Jets, Edwards canned him, to save his own job. The Jets defense was deciamated by injuries.

In Minnesota, while all the credit went to Brad Johnson for the Vikings second half surge in 2005, Cottrells' defense deserved just as much, if not more of the credit. Now, he is being fired in Minnesota, not because he did a bad job, but becuase there is a new head coach, who wants his own guys in there...

It may have been Wade Phillips' influence, but it was during the Cottrell/Phillips era that we last saw the Bills with a defense that made half time adjustments that worked.

It seems like the Bills have gone with a lot of "fresh idea" people over the last 5 years, and I can't think of one, off the top of my head, that has panned out...

561729[/snapback]

Wow - reasonable people differ on this, but because Jerry Sullivan writes that he likes Ted the ex-Bills DC must suck and Sullivan must be a tool.

It's his opinion, and it looks like quite a few people here would like to see Ted back with the Bills. It's fine if you don't, but don't blame that on Jerry.

First of all, I don't "hate" Sullivan. If anyone has read my prior posts on the subject you would see that I'm usually the one simply laughing at his attempts to inflame his readership.

Second, my opinion concerning Cottrell was noted long before Sully's article. I believe he lived off Wade's coattails while in Buffalo and has done nothing to distinguish himself since. He's a "fine young man" as John Butler would say, but that doesn't mean I want him back in Buffalo. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

I merely refer to Sullivan as a "tool" because he's a lazy reporter. He doesn't break new ground; he rehashes old news and puts an inflammatory spin on it. To read his article, one must only assume that Bills' management are the kings of the idiot world if they don't immediately hire TC back as DC.

I think Cotrell's prospects could be pretty interesting if we drafted Mario Williams and shifted to the 3-4.  I'm getting the feeling that Ferguson will not fall to us, and if we get a dominating end, and a raw but talented DT and shift to 3-4 we've suddenly got depth at the line and a pretty fearsome pass rush with Schobel, Adams and Williams.

LBs are easier to come by, and with Crowell's emergence and either a cheap upgrade or more defined role for Posey I think Cotrell could do some damage.  Just a thought.  A lot of chips would have to fall our way for it to work though and there would still be questions about run support, ie could this personnel do it?

561746[/snapback]

I agree--though I'm not sure we have the right personnel. Could Sam Adams play end in a 3-4? I doubt it. Our ends--Kelsay and Schoebel--probably are undersized to play DE's in a 3-4. And the key to any good 3-4 is having the perfect nose tackle, which we don't have. I do think we have the LB core to play a great 3-4; just not sure about the line.

Ted Cottrell is smart enough to tailor his D to the existing personel. Remember, Minn played a 4-3 under Cottrell until switching to a 3-4 midway thru the season. Also, high character players like PW and AW like playing for Cottrell, as evidenced by their following him to Minn. Personally, I'd love the move. He's experienced and loves Buffalo. Perhaps he was in a bit over his head last time, but his D sure played well, statistically. I think he'd be a tremendous choice.

I love how Sullivan praises Cottrell for getting the Vikings to turn it around and go through a 7-2 stretch to a near miss in the playoffs....first off, the Vikings did that against a VERY WEAK schedule, and let's remember, the Vikings were being boasted as a LEGITIMATE SUPER BOWL contender before the season, and they missed the playoffs. How is that a "success?" Please JS.

Two years ago, the Bills went 9-7, a near miss for the playoffs, and went on a big run against a weak schedule, and yet Sullivan ripped that defense to shreads. Heck, he ripped the team in general.

Why so much love fora DC who was fired twice in what, 4 years?!?!?

Sullivan contradicts himself so many times it isn't even funny. He has zero credibility in my eyes.

He is just one angry man.

561729[/snapback]

Sorry - TC is a good DC...I would take him in a minute...

We need a DC who is not about gimmickry and who knows how to make a second half adjustment or two. We need a DC who's not blitzing every 3rd and long, setting up his D to give up the cheap play. We need a defense where sound tackling is what matters, not complicated schemes.

When was the last time we had that? Oh right, Ted Cotrell.