Rule changes for 2006!

Tux of Borg

Changes I would make.

1 - No fair catch (but allow the 5 yards)

2 - The muffed punt rule, the team recovering should be able to advance it

3 - If the QB is going to run, he is going to get hit (no slide rule)

4 - Get rid of the Tuck Rule

5 - No down by contact rule

6 - The booth can initiate a challenge any time in the game so a team does not have to waste there's on obvious mistakes.

7 - Both teams get a shot in OT

8 - Use hot chicks in bikinis (where it's warm) to judge the field goals.

they should do something about how long you have to hang on to the ball when you catch it for a TD . when you run the ball it just has to cross the goal line no matter how long it stays in the persons hand . when you catch it in the endzone you have to have control for a longer time when falling down and the ball comes out and after the person takes 2 steps and hits the ground and the ball comes out , no TD . why????

they should do something about how long you have to hang on to the ball when you catch it  for a TD . when you run the ball it just has to cross the goal line no matter how long it stays in the persons hand . when you catch it in the endzone you have to have control for a longer time when falling down and the ball comes out and after the person takes 2 steps and hits the ground and the ball comes out , no TD .  why????

561678[/snapback]

If the ball falls out while you're falling down in the endzone, you havn't really shown control. If you're running and dive across the endzone, you've obviously had control of the ball because you were running towards the endzone.

CW

they should do something about how long you have to hang on to the ball when you catch it  for a TD . when you run the ball it just has to cross the goal line no matter how long it stays in the persons hand . when you catch it in the endzone you have to have control for a longer time when falling down and the ball comes out and after the person takes 2 steps and hits the ground and the ball comes out , no TD .  why????

561678[/snapback]

Ahhh - I recall the play you have in mind on this one...

The player receiving the ball must have full control. In the case in the playoffs, the player did not have full control of the ball while falling and when he came under tackle - despite having two feet down - did not remain in control... Whether in the endzone or not the call remains the same: incomplete.

Ahhh - I recall the play you have in mind on this one...

The player receiving the ball must have full control. In the case in the playoffs, the player did not have full control of the ball while falling and when he came under tackle - despite having two feet down - did not remain in control...  Whether in the endzone or not the call remains the same: incomplete.

561707[/snapback]

Actually i think this is a re-tarded rule. The tampa WR had posession, and had2 feet and 1 knee down IN THE ENDZONE. the ball only came loose when he hit the ground. I'm not arguing the call, just the rule. How can someone have control, 2 feet and 1 knee down in the endzone, but its not a TD. Christ, when running, the damn ball doesnt even have cross the goalline. now theres a dumbass rule that needs ot be changed.

There shoudl be NO Touchdown unless the ball crosses the goalline WITHIN THE FIELD OF PLAY!

Actually i think this is a re-tarded rule. The tampa WR had posession, and had2 feet and 1 knee down IN THE ENDZONE. the ball only came loose when he hit the ground. I'm not arguing the call, just the rule. How can someone have control, 2 feet and 1 knee down in the endzone, but its not a TD. Christ, when running, the damn ball doesnt even have cross the goalline. now theres a dumbass rule that needs ot be changed.

There shoudl be NO Touchdown unless the ball crosses the goalline WITHIN THE FIELD OF PLAY!

561709[/snapback]

Actually - I thought the replay showed very clearly that he didn't have control of the ball even when he had 2 feet and one knee down. The football was squirting up out of his arm as he was being tackled.

As for the comment about running - the ball ALWAYS has to cross the goalline. Give me an example where it doesn't. If you mean about jumping thru the air accross the goal line that stretches to infinity... I can't complain about that in the slightest. That play is one of the more exciting in football.

Actually - I thought the replay showed very clearly that he didn't have control of the ball even when he had 2 feet and one knee down.  The football was squirting up out of his arm as he was being tackled.

As for the comment about running - the ball ALWAYS has to cross the goalline. Give me an example where it doesn't.  If you mean about jumping thru the air accross the goal line that stretches to infinity... I can't complain about that in the slightest. That play is one of the more exciting in football.

561726[/snapback]

Yes i'm talking about the rule where the ball can cross the infinite goalline. Do away with that rule. If the ball doesnt cross the gaolline between the pilons, it should be no TD. None of this, "well, his left big toenail crossed the pilon even though the ball was 6 feet out of bounds, so its a TD."

Yes i'm talking about the rule where the ball can cross the infinite goalline. Do away with that rule. If the ball doesnt cross the gaolline between the pilons, it should be no TD. None of this, "well, his left big toenail crossed the pilon even though the ball was 6 feet out of bounds, so its a TD."

561731[/snapback]

No part of the player has to be touching any part of the field of play... so the Toe Nail doesn't matter.

All that matters is that the player is not out of bounds, which he is not until a part of his body touches the ground out of bounds. Hence - a player can be completely outside the playing field, in mid air and still score as long as the ball crosses the line before he goes down. It's not dumb, it's just a rule.

We'll agree to disagree...

Seriously, a rule change I would like to see is pass interference placing he ball at the spot of the foul. All too often a game is swung when a ball is tossed 40+ yards down field, incidental contact occuring, and it turning into a 40+ yard penalty. I would like to see it change back to a 10-15 yard penalty.

Additionally, down by contact should be reviewable.

No part of the player has to be touching any part of the field of play... so the Toe Nail doesn't matter.

All that matters is that the player is not out of bounds, which he is not until a part of his body touches the ground out of bounds. Hence - a player can be completely outside the playing field, in mid air and still score as long as the ball crosses the line before he goes down.  It's not dumb, it's just a rule.

We'll agree to disagree...

561739[/snapback]

Ok, agree to disagree about whether to keep it or not.

But, i believe the rule says that the ball doesnt have to cross the goaline, but a part of the players body MUST at least cross the pilon. I believe it was in a falcons game a few weeks ago and vick did this. It was ruled a TD, because even though the ball was across out of bounds, the announcers and ref said that vick's foot had crossed the pilon, making it a TD.

Seriously, a rule change I would like to see is pass interference placing he ball at the spot of the foul. All too often a game is swung when a ball is tossed 40+ yards down field, incidental contact occuring, and it turning into a 40+ yard penalty. I would like to see it change back to a 10-15 yard penalty.

Additionally, down by contact should be reviewable.

561774[/snapback]

The problem with making pass interference only a 15 yarder is that if a CB gets beat deep, say 40 yards downfield, then he can just tackle or trip up the WR to prevent a catch/TD, knowing hes only going to get penalized 15 yards. I'd take a 15 yd penalty over a 40 yard completion anyday.

Ok, agree to disagree about whether to keep it or not.

But, i believe the rule says that the ball doesnt have to cross the goaline, but a part of the players body MUST at least cross the pilon. I believe it was in a falcons game a few weeks ago and vick did this. It was ruled a TD, because even though the ball was across out of bounds, the announcers and ref said that vick's foot had crossed the pilon, making it a TD.

561794[/snapback]

I vividly remember this play and the discussion of the rule.

If the ball crosses the (infinite) goaline, then it is a touchdown if

a) the ball was between (or on or over) the pilons

b) when the ball crosses the goaline a part of the player is over a pilon

The play references was an excellent heads-up play made by Michael Vick. As he dove out of bounds of the left sideline, he stretched the ball forward in his left hand to cross the goaline before he hit the ground. He simultaneously stretched out his right hand so it was over the pilon. Touchdown!

So, does anyone know if this the same rule for a catch at midfield? If the player jumps out of bounds a foot behind the first down marker and their foot crosses the first down marker on the sideline before they land, is this a first down (assuming the ball crosses before they hit the ground.

Changes I would make.

1 - No fair catch (but allow the 5 yards)

2 - The muffed punt rule, the team recovering should be able to advance it

3 - If the QB is going to run, he is going to get hit (no slide rule)

4 - Get rid of the Tuck Rule

5 - No down by contact rule

6 - The booth can initiate a challenge any time in the game so a team does not have to waste there's on obvious mistakes.

7 -  Both teams get a shot in OT

8 - Use hot chicks in bikinis (where it's warm) to judge the field goals.

561644[/snapback]

WOW! Four of those (2, 4, 6 and 7) aren't stupid! That's a REALLY high hit-rate on TSW.

To take #6 further. IMO, the booth should do a fast review of every play. Only plays where there is an obvious mistake should be overturned. In otherwords, if you have to look at 5 angles in slo-mo...play on!

I have said it here before, but I am a huge fan of the college rule where the clock stops on 1st downs to move the chains. If the game is close, and the losing team has the ball at their own 20, it is realistic that they can go down the field with 1:00 left and no timeouts, as long as they are going 10-yards at a time. Then run up and spike the ball as soon as the ref whistles. It opens up the middle of the field for the offense and doesn't let the defense play the 44-deep prevent. Plus, it's nailbiting if your team is winning, and INTENSE if your team is losing.

The rule has taken games that used to be in the bag and created some wild finishes.