Vince Young CAN Throw

Chilly

... At least better then Leinart.

Leinart's arm = Holcomb's arm.

561580[/snapback]

In mechanics and accuracy, Leinart (based upon college performance of course) wins

hands down. He throws a very catchable ball, and while he does get a bit soft on some of his throws from time to time, it seems plenty strong enough to make the necesary thows. Compared to Holcomb, Leinart looks better and definitely has a greater upside, in that I believe we've all seen Holcomb's best, and many of us found that lacking.

Vince Young seems to have some intangibles however, in terms of competitiveness and and athleticism. Yet, I can't get by his poor footwork, or his unorthodox throwing motion which frequently is almost sidearm.

To this fan, Young is the greater risk.

Mack Brown said the reason they were successful was because they left Vince alone and stopped trying to tinker with him. Do you seriously think that he'll be able to 1) Run like he did in college against NFL linebackers and safety??? AND Do you think he'll 2) End up with an NFL QB coach, OC, and Head Coach who won't try to tinker with his motion??? I know he's 6'5'', but so are most offensive and defensive linemen. His throwing motion takes his height advantage and makes him about 5'10".

Vince will always be a better athlete, but Leinart will be a better pro. He's been playing in a pro offense for 3 years, studying film and reading defenses like a pro. He hasn't been playing sandlot football. Leinart's arm can be questioned at times, but I think it's more about his ball flight. He has the arm, but sometimes, like the INT in the Rose Bowl, he tries to float it in when zipping it would be better.

Mack Brown said the reason they were successful was because they left Vince alone and stopped trying to tinker with him.  Do you seriously think that he'll be able to 1) Run like he did in college against NFL linebackers and safety??? AND Do you think he'll 2) End up with an NFL QB coach, OC, and Head Coach who won't try to tinker with his motion???  I know he's 6'5'', but so are most offensive and defensive linemen.  His throwing motion takes his height advantage and makes him about 5'10".

Exactly. I get the feeling that a lot of people who are touting these running QBs don't watch a lot of college football and don't understand that it is a dramatically different game at the pro level.

There is no defense in college ball that can come close to simulating what it's like to play v. a pro defense. The quality of the athletes and the complexity of the schemes make it significantly more difficult for the 'athletic' QB to match the success they had in college.

I'm not saying Young can't be an NFL QB; time will tell. But you can wipe out those 200 yard rushing performance in the NFL, and without that in the Rose Bowl is he a national celebrety right now?

I think Young can throw and play effective QB (with a ton of training and time as all QBs- even Peyton Manning who elevated the Colts from 3-13 to 3-13 after playing his rookie season) in the NFL.

However, even with this belief the key thing for me as a Bills fan is that there is NO WAY he should do this for the Bills (or should Matt Leinart either).

The costs of trading up to pick 1-3 from #8 to get one of these guys is huge and would be an immediate setback for 2006 (and probably 2007).

Add to that the 2 years it will take for him to become a winner if he is on the Eli Manning track (probably longer as we would not have the Edge/Harrison "types" at other key positions besides RB/WR we need after we trade resources to move up) and getting young or Leinart would condemn this team to several years of losing.