Maybe UB isn't that good?

UB Bulls lose another heartbreaker to Toledo tonight 73-70. They lost in OT to Northern Illinois on Saturday. They are now 1-2 in the MAC after starting 11-1. I'm not saying the season's shot, but I was hoping the Bulls would show more in the MAC part of their schedule. I was worried that 11-1 record was from feasting on cupcakes.

On the bright side, they played tough in those two losses. Maybe they can recover and go on to win the conference tourney. Let's face it, it's the only ticket to the NCAA's.

PTR

Entering into the conference schedule is where a lot of teams start playing their serious games. The U, ranked #2, lost to Marquette last week. Then, the Big East is the conference for college BB; the fifth-seeded team there will be better than a lot of others' #1.

Sh-- happens. A couple-few losses isn't too much to overcome. All you need to be is in that top 64, then it all starts for real from there. Up to that point, it's just jockeying for position.

I had a real feeling they were winning with smoke and mirrors. I know he has recently been knighted on this board, but I am not sold on Reggie Witherspoon. I had no opinion either way until last year's MAC final, when there was no question he had the more talented team. He sat and watched as UB's 20-point lead was whittled away. He might as well have been sitting next to me on the couch because he made zero adjustments. And then, after Ohio (who was a good team) battled back, UB had the ball in a tie-game with a chance to win on the last possession. Reggie lets the clock run all the way down to about 6 seconds left, and then calls timeout. He had senior All-Everything Turner Battle, who hit a few buzzer beaters during the year, but he instead chose to have one of his big men launch a three from the corner. Obviously he missed, and because of the little time left, there was no rebound opportunity. UB goes on to lose on a tip-in in OT. I blamed Reggie.

BTW, I'm not just typing this because they've lost two, I said the same thing a few months ago.

Its a long season, and a few losses don't mean much, particularly close losses. I imagine if they get into the NCAA tournament it will have to be by winning the conference. My school ETSU got in two out of the last years and came a basket from beating Wake Forest in the first year and lost on the last shot to Cincinnatti two years ago. We're hoping to make it this year as the bid from the A-Sun conference. College basketball is a marathon. I'd love to see UB (my alma mater) in the tournament.