Why is Halotti Ngata not on Mel Kiper's

1billsfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just because he is respected in college does not mean he will be respected in the pros.......you have to earn it.......and unless your willing to actually play hard (which he didn't do in the bowl game) your not going to get much attention.....

561304[/snapback]

Sure..that's no revalation.

Well, for the one here who doesn't know who Mel Kiper is, here goes! He is an independant scout who publishes a yearly draft guide. Mel has worked for ESPN since 1984 on their draft coverage and now he has expanded to being a full time columnist, right around this time of year! Mel also has an "insiders" column that is subscriptioned based. I haven't had a Kiper guide for years now as I believe he's always looking for the " diamond in the rough" instead of just rating the best top to bottom. His Guy this year is Dwayne Slay, a safety he has hyped for nearly a month! One of his defining moments was a "pissing contest" he once had with the then GM of the Colts, Bill Tobin. He basically told Tobin that he didn't understand the draft and taking Trent Dilfer was the better pick over LB Trev Alberts! Tobin went on to say that his Postman knew more football than Mel Kiper! Hilarious stuff!!

Well, for the one here who doesn't know who Mel Kiper is, here goes! He is an independant scout who publishes a yearly draft guide. Mel has worked for ESPN since 1984 on their draft coverage and now he has expanded to being a full time columnist, right around this time of year! Mel also has an "insiders" column that is subscriptioned based. I haven't had a Kiper guide for years now as I believe he's always looking for the " diamond in the rough" instead of just rating the best top to bottom. His Guy this year is Dwayne Slay, a safety he has hyped for nearly a month! One of his defining moments was a "pissing contest" he once had with the then GM of the Colts, Bill Tobin. He basically told Tobin that he didn't understand the draft and taking Trent Dilfer was the better pick over LB Trev Alberts! Tobin went on to say that his Postman knew more football than Mel Kiper! Hilarious stuff!!

561336[/snapback]

That was a rather remarkable post, provided for the one here that doesn't know "who the heck" mel kiper is, considering you must be the only one here who didnt catch the meaning of the post. "Who the heck is mel kiper?" is what Bill Tobin responded with in the Dilfer/Alberts controversy you referenced. So in fact, the one guy who didn't know who mel kiper is, did indeed know who mel kiper is, and you were the only one who didn't know what he was talking about. :)

Actually, Tobin replied "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

I've not see Williams play. Can he contain the run?

561314[/snapback]

Yes, and he is capable every down of breaking up a run in the backfield before it even develops. He has been virtually unblockable this year.

Ngata, is not lazy, he was playing the short passing lanes, if you have the tape, watch he would move toward where the QB was looking, without penetrating, doing this not only took up two linemen, but also blocked his vision, it's really a vet type move.

Mario Williams, would be a dream come true, I fully agree he would have to be doubled along with Schobel, it could be a very good end combo, as long as in the 2nd we address the DT with a player like Watsonor a free agnet like Grady jackson.

another player to watch is Jonathon Orr-remember that name, 6'2" 195 WR, looks like Johnson, runs around a 4.3 40 and has great hands, worthy of a 3rd rounder at the very least, he'll shoot up after the combine

The final thing about Bill Tobin and Mel Kiper is this..... Tobin is long gone and Kiper is a highly paid member of ESPN! Now who gets it?

561468[/snapback]

Unlike Tobin, Kiper isn't accountable for his opinions. He can be dead wrong about half the guys he likes and he'll still have a job as long as he acts like he knows what he's talking about. I'm not saying Kiper isn't pretty good at what he does, he is, but to compare the two is a bit much.

No doubt.  People keep calling him lazy because they saw him in one game and they seem to feel that game was enough to make a decision on his ability.  I watched him play in several games and he is an absolute game changer.  He would free up our LB's to make plays and would be seeing constant double and triple teams.  I have made him my avatar because I believe we will draft him and that would be great news for our Defense.

561128[/snapback]

Didn't one of his coaches say he was the best WHEN HE WAS HEALTHY AND MOTIVATED?

No thanks.

Depending on how good Davis and Pope are we might be looking at a tight end as a number one pick? All of those high quality DT's on the board almost insures we can get a good one in round two, and it appears round two will certainly have plenty of quality linemen. I wonder that we aren't seeing suggestions (horrors!!) that we actually trade down to get another second round choice.

Depending on how good Davis and Pope are we might be looking at a tight end as a number one pick?  All of those high quality DT's on the board almost insures we can get a good one in round two, and it appears round two will certainly have plenty of quality linemen.  I wonder that we aren't seeing suggestions (horrors!!) that we actually trade down to get another second round choice.

561728[/snapback]

IIRC, they were interested in Witten a few years back, but DAL picked him a few spots ahead of them. I think you mentioned that a couple of days ago.

No doubt the TE position has experienced a resurgence. But since the draft is a bit of a dice roll, I'd tend towards the lineman in round 1. Historically, for reasons unknown the Bills haven't been much of a TE- oriented team, if that makes any sense.

IIRC, they were interested in Witten a few years back, but DAL picked him a few spots ahead of them.  I think you mentioned that a couple of days ago.

No doubt the TE position has experienced a resurgence. But since the draft is a bit of a dice roll, I'd tend towards the lineman in round 1. Historically, for reasons unknown  the Bills haven't been much of a TE- oriented team, if that makes any sense.

561752[/snapback]

I might be mistaken but I think Witten ended up as Dallas third round pick. I remember Witten (who played high school ball around here and at University of Tennessee) being chosen shockingly late (for those of us who were admirers of his, and certainly for him and his family) While I like Pope, I would certainly defer to a great lineman at the DT or OT position.

I might be mistaken but I think Witten ended up as Dallas third round pick.  I remember Witten (who played high school ball around here and at University of Tennessee) being chosen shockingly late (for those of us who were admirers of his, and certainly for him and his family)  While I like Pope, I would certainly defer to a great lineman at the DT or OT position.

561833[/snapback]

Yup, 5th pick of the 3rd round. (69th overall) Our pick would have been 15th (79th) but we traded it to Green Bay. 3 TE's were chosen before him, Dallas Clark, Bennie Joppru (I don't even know who that is) and LJ Smith.