Bills' schedule next season much easier

eball

From the TBD front page: "The Bills' 2006 schedule has been finalized. In addition to their home and away games against AFC East rivals New England, Miami and the New York Jets, Buffalo hosts Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Green Bay and Minnesota and plays at Houston, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Chicago and Detroit."

With even the smallest of improvements, the games in bold are certainly winnable based upon how those particular teams looked in 2005. Of course, those teams are probably saying the same thing about the Bills. ;)

My point is, nobody should be looking at this as a 2 or 3 year rebuilding project. The schedule is ripe for the picking. If the OL and DL are legitimately addressed in the offseason and we get a competent play-calling OC in town, it's hard to look at that schedule and not expect 8-9 wins at a minimum.

Thoughts?

It may look easy now, but in today's NFL, you never know how easy your schedule is until the year is over. Look at teams like Chicago, Tampa, and Washington this year. A lot of teams might have thought they were playing a lousy team when looking at the schedule before the year. A team like the Packers may look terrible this year, but with a few signings, coupled with a good portion of their team returning from injury, they could be right back in the thick of things next year.

Miami finished the year at 9-7 and looking very sharp.

NYJ suffered a lot of injuries this year and could be a tough game if they figure out their qb situation.

Tennessee certainly doesn't look to have a bright future, but the addition of Vince Young (although I see him as an average NFL player) may help turn things around.

Bottom line is, I don't like considering a schedule "easy" long before the season even begins.

Love the optimism though. Go Bills.

Hate to say it, but when others look at their schedules and see the Buffalo Bills on there schedule, that is chalked up as an easy W now.

After missing the playoffs for 6 years, I dont think saying we have an easy schedule or not carries any merit whatsoever.

560711[/snapback]

Did you just completely miss this line in my post?

"Of course, those teams are probably saying the same thing about the Bills. :w00t: "

Forecasting upcoming schedules based upon prior performance certainly "carries merit." Despite a horrible year, the Bills are fortunate enough to be playing SIX teams next season (counting the Jets twice) that finished BELOW them. Tell me that's not reason for optimism?

Whatever, dude. ;)

It may look easy now, but in today's NFL, you never know how easy your schedule is until the year is over.  Look at teams like Chicago, Tampa, and Washington this year.  A lot of teams might have thought they were playing a lousy team when looking at the schedule before the year.  A team like the Packers may look terrible this year, but with a few signings, coupled with a good portion of their team returning from injury, they could be right back in the thick of things next year.

Miami finished the year at 9-7 and looking very sharp.

NYJ suffered a lot of injuries this year and could be a tough game if they figure out their qb situation.

Tennessee certainly doesn't look to have a bright future, but the addition of Vince Young (although I see him as an average NFL player) may help turn things around.

Bottom line is, I don't like considering a schedule "easy" long before the season even begins.

Love the optimism though. Go Bills.

560705[/snapback]

True--you never can tell--last yr a Jet game would have seemed brutal....doesnt werk that way anymore..

What's thinking big for this team, 8-8?

560798[/snapback]

I used the word "big" in quotes for a reason. I think a 3-game improvement, when we're dealing with a new GM, new OC, and completely new defensive staff, would be pretty good stuff. It would probably mean that we're in the thick of the playoff hunt until at least the last couple weeks of the season, and if breaks go our way, perhaps longer than that.

Do you people have a problem with fans showing cautious optimism?

It's pretty sad when you have to hope for an easy schedule to be "good."

560831[/snapback]

Actually, it's more sad when that's all you can add to the discussion. I'd like to see the Bills improve and get into the playoffs. Scheduling is a part of that. Do you think fans of NFC teams are complaining because they got into the tournament based upon playing lesser competition?

From the TBD front page:  "The Bills' 2006 schedule has been finalized. In addition to their home and away games against AFC East rivals New England, Miami and the New York Jets, Buffalo hosts Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Green Bay and Minnesota and plays at Houston, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Chicago and Detroit."

It's potentially a favorable schedule, but every one of those highlighted teams has a very good chance to be a better team next year than they were in '05. They all have high draft picks, coaching/GM changes and have had their problems exposed, just like the Bills.

Until significant improvements are made in several areas, there will be no 'sure wins' for the Bills.

It's potentially a favorable schedule, but every one of those highlighted teams has a very good chance to be a better team next year than they were in '05.  They all have high draft picks, coaching/GM changes and have had their problems exposed, just like the Bills.

Until significant improvements are made in several areas, there will be no 'sure wins' for the Bills.

560837[/snapback]

Correct you are. I still prefer looking at a schedule filled with numerous teams undergoing major overhauls. The Bills, Pats, Dolphins, and Jets catch a major break playing the NFC North next year.

Correct you are.  I still prefer looking at a schedule filled with numerous teams undergoing major overhauls.  The Bills, Pats, Dolphins, and Jets catch a major break playing the NFC North next year.

560842[/snapback]

I think it just shows that the team that gets it's sh-- together quickly can have a successful run in the NFL by burying the weaker opponents. One or more of those teams will be in the playoffs next year. I just hope the Bills are that team!!

From the TBD front page:  "The Bills' 2006 schedule has been finalized. In addition to their home and away games against AFC East rivals New England, Miami and the New York Jets, Buffalo hosts Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Green Bay and Minnesota and plays at Houston, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Chicago and Detroit."

With even the smallest of improvements, the games in bold are certainly winnable based upon how those particular teams looked in 2005.  Of course, those teams are probably saying the same thing about the Bills.  :)

My point is, nobody should be looking at this as a 2 or 3 year rebuilding project.  The schedule is ripe for the picking.  If the OL and DL are legitimately addressed in the offseason and we get a competent play-calling OC in town, it's hard to look at that schedule and not expect 8-9 wins at a minimum.

Thoughts?

560703[/snapback]

i'm in general agreement with you, but i wouldn't have bolded miami. they finished very strong and beat some very good teams on the road.

i'm in general agreement with you, but i wouldn't have bolded miami. they finished very strong and beat some very good teams on the road.

560902[/snapback]

As far as our AFC East opponents, the good news for the Bills is that none of these teams (even NE) are unbeatable. One need only consider that Miami was only able to beat the Bills in Miami late last season because the Bills melted down and gave the game away to them in the last quarter after Miami melted down in the 1st quarter and the Bills simply failed to stick a fork in them in the 2nd and 3rd quarters as both teams looked like high school units.

The Bills will likely lose to Miami on the road next year, but even this road game should be considered winnable and we should be favored to beat them at home next year.

Likewise NE in 05 was really two different teams this year and when we get them at home at this too early point the game is not lock for us (and actually we probably should not even be favored at home against NE at this point, but the game is easily winnable.

No one really knows at this point which teams will turn out to be good or bad next year. However, I think it is pretty reasonable to judge next year's schedule of whether it broke the right way for you in terms of whether you got the beatable good opponents at hom and the difficult to beat in any case opponents on the road.

We likely will not and should not be favored against Indy even playing them at home and with one hand tied behind their back. I think a good thing about the schedule is that we are not wasting a home game for us on Indy who we likely will lose to anywhere.

In addition, to none of our opponents at home are so good that they should be considered difficult to beat, some of our opponents on the road where we have a natural disadvantage are so bad that we may be able to beat them on the road or might even be favored if Detroit and Houston remain worse than even our bad team..

I think the schedule presented (which I assume must include some pre-season activity as there are too many games listed for a 16 game season) breaks well for us as all the home games are winnable and most of the road games are winnable (though may are unlikely) at this too early point as well.

I think the schedule presented (which I assume must include some pre-season activity as there are too many games listed for a 16 game season) breaks well for us as all the home games are winnable and most of the road games are winnable (though may are unlikely) at this too early point as well.

560943[/snapback]

The schedule presented is the regular season schedule, as there are exactly 16 games. 6 w/ division opponents, and 10 others.

With even the smallest of improvements, the games in bold are certainly winnable based upon how those particular teams looked in 2005.  Of course, those teams are probably saying the same thing about the Bills.  :)

My point is, nobody should be looking at this as a 2 or 3 year rebuilding project.  The schedule is ripe for the picking.  If the OL and DL are legitimately addressed in the offseason and we get a competent play-calling OC in town, it's hard to look at that schedule and not expect 8-9 wins at a minimum.

Thoughts?

560703[/snapback]

I think you are going too far in trying to pick out individual teams as winnable games. A more reasonable analysis is to just look at which divisions the Bills draw for next year.

The AFC East will acount for 6 games, and it looks like it could be shaping up as an average to above-average division. The Patriots will be solid, *again*, albeit maybe not as spectacular as in 2003-4; the Fish look like they could be very solid under Saban, which is problematic for us - but they have enough talent questions, especially at QB, that they might not take a step forward next year, and could even go backwards a step; the Jets could get better just be virtue of having a few less injuries - though on the other hand, if Pennington's injury drags on into next season, the Jets could be heading for another Top 10 draft pick under a new coach. Overall - hard to see the AFC East being one of the top divisions in football again.

The AFC South looks like a favorable draw. The Colts should be awesome again as long as Peyton is healthy - though losing Edgerrin James in free agency could send them backwards. The Jags were the worst 12-win team in NFL history this year - the inflated record will hurt their ability to move forward; the Titans are still rebuilding - but the youngest team in the NFL should be better if Fisher can regain his grip on the team that otherwise seems to be lossening; and the Texans are just plain building - and now will be adjusting to a new HC. Overall - should still be one of the weaker NFL divisions next year.

The NFC North looks like another favorable draw. We'll see if the Bears' miracle-run this year can be repeated, and every other team in the division will have a new Head Coach. Overall: Should once again be the weakest division in football.

The bad news, of course, is that everyone in the AFC East has the same schedule above. So the key feature is how good the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets are - since in the realigned NFL the Wildcard Spot is basically just a consolation prize.... its all about winning the division.

The Bills' final draws are vs. San Diego and @Baltimore. I'm definitely happy to get the Chargers at home - who are essentially a playoff caliber team this year, despite the 3rd-place finish. Baltimore is a huge questionmark, and could be very good to just as bad.

At the end of the day, the Bills have 6 games scheduled next year against teams that are hiring new Head Coaches. If we can get a bunch of those games early in the season, it definitely could help us. Unfortunately, with our current talent and Mike Mularkey as HC, I'm not at all sure that we can take advantage.

JDG