NYC'ers

mcjeff215

I've a job interview for a large shop that has an office in NYC, on Broadway. I have my choice of NYC, or a few cities out west... San Fran, Los Angeles, Seattle.

I'm from Buffalo, so I like the idea of being closer to home (in Atlanta, now). Anyone care to share some points? Do I want to live there? Good town? Bad town? I'm assuming CT, NE PA, or NJ?

Help.

-Jeff

New York is a GREAT town to live in, especially if you're single and young. There are a million things to do in the city. You'll get a place on the Upper West Side or the Village and absolutely love it. Good luck on the interview.

New York is a GREAT town to live in, especially if you're single and young.  There are a million things to do in the city.  You'll get a place on the Upper West Side or the Village and absolutely love it.  Good luck on the interview.

557881[/snapback]

NYC is a LOT of fun...but, a very tough town to live in, IMO. It's expensive (as are SF and LA) and crowded and...well BIG. There are a lot of people (many of whom don't speak English...if that matters to you) and just doing basic things can be a real pain-in-the-ass.

Grocery shopping, DMV, getting to and from work (depending on where you work and live, of course), etc. can be MAJOR chores in my experience. You'll have to change the way you live, the way you interact with the rest of the world and the way you go about your day.

SF, in my opinion, combines much of the fun and vibrancy of NYC...but with much less of the day-to-day hassle. It's like a smaller, cleaner, nicer NYC. I've lived in Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Boston (hated it...except for Fenway, of course), SF, LA, NYC (and Long Island) and Milwaulkee. After I left SF (end of 1994) until I returned (August 2005) I missed SF EVERY DAY.

I agree that, if you're single and young NYC is a great place to be and have fun. If I had to I'd move there and be quite happy (as long as I was making a LOT of money). But, IMO, SF is THE place for a single guy to be. The women here are awesome (and less uptight than in Boston or NYC)...and relatively desperate for straight single men. :D

Either way, you could have a great time.

And...don't rule out LA or Seattle. Both have a lot to offer...although I'd NEVER move to Seattle.

Married with a little one.  My thoughts were PA/CT/NJ and then the commute (isn't there a train or some such Stojan I can take?)

-Jeff

557928[/snapback]

Ok, where would I even *look* for housing in the area?

Ok, where would I even *look* for housing in the area?

557945[/snapback]

I live in Somerset NJ. It's a half hour train ride to NYC. You could try Edison/Metuchen for the same time frame.

NJ is expensive (house will cost 400grand or so, apt for 2 bdrm will run ya 1100 a month), but it's cheaper than NYC.

PM me if ya have any questions.

I live in Somerset NJ. It's a half hour train ride to NYC. You could try Edison/Metuchen for the same time frame.

NJ is expensive (house will cost 400grand or so, apt for 2 bdrm will run ya 1100 a month), but it's cheaper than NYC.

PM me if ya have any questions.

557956[/snapback]

See? Now we're on the right track. I've been looking for something that gives me like a 30 - 45 minute radius around the city... CT, LI, PA, NJ, NY... I'm not real familiar with the geography up there, Dutchess and Westchester counties were always "where the rich folks lived", so said my father.

I'd assume Salaries up there are higher than here in the Atlanta area, too.

-Jeff

See? Now we're on the right track.  I've been looking for something that gives me like a 30 - 45 minute radius around the city... CT, LI, PA, NJ, NY... I'm not real familiar with the geography up there, Dutchess and Westchester counties were always "where the rich folks lived", so said my father.

-Jeff

557960[/snapback]

Oh yeah...A job in NYC is almost double than what you make here. Go for it!!

CT is fairly expensive. The part of the state that borders NY is outrageous and some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Stamford is blowing up now-you would have to move to at least Bridgeport(not a desirable area) or Stratford. Lots of traffic down that way too but the train is convenient for a commute

CT is fairly expensive.  The part of the state that borders NY is outrageous and some of the most expensive real estate in the country.  Stamford is blowing up now-you would have to move to at least Bridgeport(not a desirable area) or Stratford.  Lots of traffic down that way too but the train is convenient for a commute

557990[/snapback]

How much time and whatnot do the trains knock off? Trying to get a feel for what's too far and whatnot...

See? Now we're on the right track.  I've been looking for something that gives me like a 30 - 45 minute radius around the city... CT, LI, PA, NJ, NY... I'm not real familiar with the geography up there, Dutchess and Westchester counties were always "where the rich folks lived", so said my father.

-Jeff

557960[/snapback]

I live in Greenwich, CT on the train line; it's about 45 mins to mid town. SW CT is very nice, great schools and communities but as other have mentioned, it's expensive. It's also gotten more crowded in the last 20 years, but still less so than a lot of other places. NJ has some nice areas too and a shorter commute (at least to the west side and downtown).

Depending on what you do and what you can afford, there is a variety of nice places to live in CT. But be prepared to spend a minimum of $400k for a house. PM me if you want more details on towns, etc.

How much time and whatnot do the trains knock off? Trying to get a feel for what's too far and whatnot...

557998[/snapback]

Trains run every half hour in and out of the city b/w New Haven and NYC (more often during rush hour, less often when it's late); last train to CT (aka the 'puke train') leaves at 1:50 am.

I live in Greenwich, CT on the train line;  it's about 45 mins to mid town.  SW CT is very nice, great schools and communities but as other have mentioned, it's expensive.  It's also gotten more crowded in the last 20 years, but still less so than a lot of other places.  NJ has some nice areas too and a shorter commute (at least to the west side and downtown).

Depending on what you do and what you can afford, there is a variety of nice places to live in CT.  But be prepared to spend a minimum of $400k for a house.  PM me if you want more details on towns, etc.

Trains run every half hour in and out of the city b/w New Haven and NYC (more often during rush hour, less often when it's late);  last train to CT (aka the 'puke train') leaves at 1:50 am.

558004[/snapback]

Do the salaries reflect that? For example, if a $200,000 house here is $400,00 there, is a $100,000 salary $200,000?

I'd rather spend an hour on a train than live in closer.

Do the salaries reflect that? For example, if a $200,000 house here is $400,00 there, is a $100,000 salary $200,000?

558008[/snapback]

Yes, salaries are higher, especially if you are working in the city.

Come to Fairfield County --- we need to get a Bills Backers group started!

558008[/snapback]

I do not see an equal ratio (double salary) but it is more. My daughter lives in New Haven and likes it but works more towards Hartford which is kind of rough.

CT is beautiful if you can find a place you can afford.

AND I LOVE NEW YORK CITY! :D

I do not see an equal ratio (double salary) but it is more. My daughter lives in New Haven and likes it but works more towards Hartford which is kind of rough.

CT is beautiful if you can find a place you can afford.

AND I LOVE NEW YORK CITY!  :D

558021[/snapback]

I love New York City too! I would move there in a second if I could get a job as good as the one I have now. Man there isnt a day I dont dream about moving to NYC!

I know Westchester pretty well if you're thinking of that option. Like anywhere else the really good places are very expensive.

I live in Levittown LI now. It was the only decent area on LI my wife and I would afford and weren't too too far from NYC. That and Hicksville.

Jeff - I live in Hoboken, NJ and work in the city. I love the city, but it is expensive - even if you live outside of it. Also - the commute will suck, and it will suck in proportion to how much your house costs. A cheaper house = suckier commute.

I"m 32 and will be leaving for upstate in 3-4 years for the reasons outlined above....