What the critic's don't get

I thought TD did a good, not great job of player aquisitions, via the Draft and Free Agency. I called the Bledsoe trade a huge mistake immediately and emphasized it again after watching him sink like a stone in the 2nd half of 2002.

Obviously, losing the power struggle to Cowher affected his decision making in hiring a HC. Gregg Williams and Mularkey were very dubious hires. Now with Ralph wanting to fall back on the inexperienced Marv, It may be a while before we can dig ourselves out of this mess. My only hope is that Marv shows Mularkey how to delegate and hires some sharp coordinators. It's not hopeless.

TD had the opportunity to hire a great HC and instead wanted someone weak who would allow him to meddle and preserve his power. That, combined with the poor record, justified his firing. In the Cap age, it's a coaches game more than ever. Hiring not ready for prime time asst. coaches orchestrated his own demise. If he wants to place blame, he should go look in a mirrior.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, losing the power struggle to Cowher affected his decision making in hiring a HC. TD had the opportunity to hire a great HC and instead wanted someone weak who would allow him to meddle and preserve his power.

This is another argument which has just never made any sense to me.

One of the first things Donahoe had to do when he took over in Pittsburgh was replace Chuck Noll. So he went out and hired a fresh, headstrong, upwardly mobile young assistant who was well thought of in league circles. It turned out to be a good hire as the Stillers had a lot of success and Cowher is by far the longest-tenured coach in the NFL.

Fast forward to his first order of business with the Bills which is finding a coach. What does he do? He goes out and hires a fresh, headstrong, upwardly mobile young assistant who was well thought of in league circles. Now if Donahoe was really worried about a repeate of the Cowher situation, do you really believe for a second that he would make the exact same kind of hire?! The idea is patently ridiculous. He wanted to experience the same kind of success he had with his first hire, so he went out and found the same kind of coach in attempt to duplicate that success.

When that didn't work out, what did he try next? Gee, he went out and hired a fresh, headstrong, upwardly mobile young assistant who was well thought of in league circles. The exact same kind of coach he had selected in his first two hires!

If he really wanted to avoid a repeat of how his tenure in Pittsburgh ended, he would have gone out and hire some retread who was just happy to have a job and would do whatever he was told. Instead, he wanted to experience a repeat of the success he had in Pittsburgh so he went out and made the exact same kind of hire he had 10 years earlier.

This seems so obvious to me that it boggles my mind that others don't see it that way and continue to think that he somehow did things differently because he was afraid of his previous success, when in reality he did things exactly the same way every time he's ever hired a head coach!

Cya

I thought TD did a good, not great job of player aquisitions, via the Draft and Free Agency. I called the Bledsoe trade a huge mistake immediately and emphasized it again after watching him sink like a stone in the 2nd half of 2002.

Obviously, losing the power struggle to Cowher affected his decision making in hiring a HC. Gregg Williams and Mularkey were very dubious hires. Now with Ralph wanting to fall back on the inexperienced Marv, It may be a while before we can dig ourselves out of this mess. My only hope is that Marv shows Mularkey how to delegate and hires some sharp coordinators. It's not hopeless.

TD had the opportunity to hire a great HC and instead wanted someone weak who would allow him to meddle and preserve his power. That, combined with the poor record, justified his firing. In the Cap age, it's a coaches game more than ever. Hiring not ready for prime time asst. coaches orchestrated his own demise. If he wants to place blame, he should go look in a mirrior.

558319[/snapback]

Why exactly was Gregg Williams a dubious hire? Greggo tanked because he didn't have any experience. He will likely make a very good head coach in this league in a few years. Joe Gibbs seems to think so. He was the top candidate this year. He had all the credentials, he just made a lot of mistakes that young coaches make in their early nfl head coaching careers.

I think Simon's post just above was right on target.