Jerry Grey is just a minority interview

I dont think he stays. Did you hear Ralphs comments about wanting to meet the new OC and DC before they come on?

Thats obvious to me that Gray is gone along with most of the defensive staff.

556968[/snapback]

Yes I did- but I also heard that Grey had resigned, and according to this article he has not. Wilson also stated that Malarkey's status was still being reviewed, and two hours later he was staying. Everything is up in the air, but I think they have already thrown the asst. coaches under the bus , except for the conditioning coach who I expect will be gone.

Yes I did- but I also heard that Grey had resigned, and according to this article he has not. Wilson also stated that Malarkey's status was still being reviewed, and two hours later he was staying. Everything is up in the air, but I think they have already thrown the asst. coaches under the bus , except for the conditioning coach who I expect will be gone.

556975[/snapback]

Nah Gray is already gone. I dont think just because of Grays own comments that merits anything.

Wilson said these comments yesterday. I think the old man knows whats going on. He said Mularkeys status was up in the air yes. But he didnt say anything earlier about meeting the new HC. Gray is gone. Its obvious.

He may be gone but they don't want to announce it until he has a couple interviews so he can have a better chance at finding another job. Just trying to be nice to a former employee. It may look better for him going in as a current co-ordinator rather than a recently fired co-ordinator

557013[/snapback]

There is nothing nice about being fired.

I dont think he stays. Did you hear Ralphs comments about wanting to meet the new OC and DC before they come on?

Thats obvious to me that Gray is gone along with most of the defensive staff.

556968[/snapback]

I also heard Ralph state that Losman only started 4 games this year. He's not exactly the best source for accurate info.

I also heard Ralph state that Losman only started 4 games this year.  He's not exactly the best source for accurate info.

557019[/snapback]

I think he was talking about Losmans first four games.

Also Levy talking about Troy Aikmans first season of winning zero games gives me confidence that Losman will be the man.

It is a stupid rule- and the most abused. He will not get a Head Coaching this year.

Apparently he is still employed by the Bills. I think he stays, but gets alot of help with personnel and Asst. Coaches.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd2045085.asp

556962[/snapback]

I see two viable alternatives to the minority interview policy fo the NFL. As bad or stupid as the current minority interview policy may be, these other two options strikes me as worse.

A. The NFL could leave things as they are and in this state of nature the free-market would result in fair treatment of individuals based on their talents and skills.

The status quo is a viable alternative simply because change is hard in our society. However, one is simply naive if you believe that an actual free market exists in the reality of the NFL where a person is judged only or mainly on the stength of their character and their ability to succeed and not within the good old boy network that has some ideas and actions which simply do not hire people capable of doing a good job.

In order for someone to honestlly maintain that the status quo or our alleged free market for hiring NFL HCs works to hire an individual w/o regard to non-skill factors race, then the person has the uphill (actually impossible) task of explaining why there have (and still are) so few African-American HCs relative the pool of potential candidates as a majority of the forner NFL players are A-A. Being a player is not essential to being a good NFL HC, but it certainly is one important factor that creates the pool of potential coaches.

I can easily see how there might be a fair result where there were actually even substantially fewer A-A HCs than A-A players, but the results have been that up until Art Shell became the first A-A HC lwess than 20 years ago (and unlike Rich Kotite despite having a winning record as an HC he never has gotten rehired after he got canned despite leading his team to the playoffs) there had been no A-A HCs despite the NFL having a long history of training A-As as players.

When you look at the current roster of A-A HCs, and compare it to their record of achievement as meeasured in W/L while obviously your race does not guaranttee success, the real question here is an explanation of the discrepancy between the # of A-A HCs vs. the number of HCs in the hiring pool of former players based in some Jimmy Greek/Al Campanis "some of my best friends are Blacks" exolanation that through nature or nurture A-a simply lack some of the necessties to be a successful NFL coach.

The record of making the playoffs amassed by the relatively small numbers of A-As HCs in the NFL shows that clearly A-A can suceed as HCs in this league when given a fair chance. Racists have been reduced to demanding that there is no proof that A-As have the right stuff until one wins an SB and that we should go merrily on our way with A-A candidates have greater than the usually tough road to get one of these few jobs.

Clearly the stutus quo of letting the allegedly free marker create quality in non-racial HC hiring has not worked at all and is unfair to individual and has resulted in less qualified idiots like Kotite (and dare I say non playoff making as an HC Gregg Williams) get their shot while Marvin Lewis has to settle for an Asst HC job until he finally gets a shot and does a great job with Cincy.

The argument we need to here from those who oppose the current A-A interview policy is not whether it is good (its not) but whether it or the alleged free-market status quo is better.

i think when one looks at the issues of fairness to individuals (I'm sorry that Rich Kotite has not been rehired but him getting denied a shot becuase of his race is simply less on an issue than the potential that Marvin Lewis (used as an example so comment though not fixation on this case would be appropriate IMHO) would clearly have been denied his shot due to race not to long ago and given the statistical results there is a case which demands action that race MAY have played a role in his not getting a shot even under the current system.

B. the seond potentiallty viable system would be some form of quota where the NFL committed itself to some how find a way to hiring more A-A HCs. Even though the results of this idiotic system may well prove to be more fair or produce better results than the status quo, IMHO it would be so stupid and intractable that I do not even consider it.

From my standpoint the minority interview policty of the NFL is not a good one at all. However, dumb options like enforced quotas or taking no action and living with the alleged free market of the status quo are so bad and so indefensible that even the dumb interview policy is much better.

I actually do have to give the dumg interview policy some credit however, as I think without it, not only would a talent like Marvin Lewis been still frozen out if the situation of only a few years ago still reined, but a producer like Lovie Smith HC of Chicago probably would not have even gotten an interview in today's NFL without the mandate.

Ckearly there are idiots like Matt Millen who are generally non-successes at GM work who have not gotten the message that life must and will change and he needs to fined to get him to even fairly consider all candidate based on their skills (it is ironic that having avoided fairness to get the HC he wanted he then fired hio choice).

So claim the current HC minority interview system is stupid. i aggree. However, i think it is the best viable system the NFL can come up with to address this problem in the real world.

Do you think that the status quo of the alleged free market produced better results or a more fair outcome where folks were judged based primarily on the job they could do?

I do not think that you or anyone can make a logical or demonsterable argument that is the case.

I'd love to hear a better alternative, so if Jerry Gray gets in the door because of thi policy and wows somebody, then more power to him.