2006 cap question

syhuang

I don't have the detail of Sam Adams' contract, but I read somewhere that his LTBE counted about 1.25M toward 2005 cap.

Since he didn't play much and probably didn't achieve his LTBE to earn the money, doesn this mean Bills will reward the 1.25M cap in 2006? In other words, will Bills' 2006 cap be 1.25M higher than others?

Over on Billszone, Clumpy & Company have the cap figured out at 11 million dollars under...but thats without RFA tenders or escalators that kick in at the end of the season (thats what killed us last year in terms of the cap...that and Mike Williams' Burger King salary).

So it'll probably be more like 9 million under...but cutting Williams and Moulds will free up substantial cash. I say keep Moulds, can Williams.

I dont really know about Sam Adams contract and how it effects the team though...very confoosin' to me.

I don't have the detail of Sam Adams' contract, but I read somewhere that his LTBE counted about 1.25M toward 2005 cap.

Since he didn't play much and probably didn't achieve his LTBE to earn the money, doesn this mean Bills will reward the 1.25M cap in 2006? In other words, will Bills' 2006 cap be 1.25M higher than others?

556130[/snapback]

I'm not too concerned- we do have some room from what I understand, but at times it can be a blessing not to have room....lets you slow things down and evaluate....good for a new GM

Over on Billszone, Clumpy & Company have the cap figured out at 11 million dollars under...but thats without RFA tenders or escalators that kick in at the end of the season (thats what killed us last year in terms of the cap...that and Mike Williams' Burger King salary).

So it'll probably be more like 9 million under...but cutting Williams and Moulds will free up substantial cash.  I say keep Moulds, can Williams.

I dont really know about Sam Adams contract and how it effects the team though...very confoosin' to me.

556137[/snapback]

Looking at Clumpy's great work and guessing a lilttle on the Adams cut and Moulds restruture, I think the Bills will have about 13 million to work with, which is a good number to do some shopping with. Of course, we have four first-day draft picks, so that is going to require a few bucks, too.

Just for reference, it looks like cutting the following players has this effect on our cap:

Sam Adams: $2,125,000

Eric Moulds: $5,522,333

Mike Williams: $4,907,098

Total: $12,554,431

Of course they'll all have some dead cap space to deal with for future years...but that is, as they say in prison, indeed a lot of "grip" to have tied up in 3 players.

Honestly, I'm in the camp that says Eric Moulds is worth keeping on this team, even at his current outrageous contract. I think just cutting Mike Williams and Sam Adams could give us breathing room to franchise NC (we have it now, but always good to have more room) and then bring in some solid O-Line help through FA.

I know Marv already have some cap space to work with and will get more by cutting players and reconstructing contracts. I was just wondering if Bills will be rewarded Adams' 2005 LTBE in 2006 cap for extra 1.25M, which basically comes free.

1.25M is not much, but may get us another quality FA.

I would look at it more as we have a credit on what we already have allocated, but it amounts to the same thing.

Don't take my word as gospel, but I assume your assessment is essentially correct.

i.e. cap = $80m, we currently have $70m, so $10m space.

SA had $1m of LTBE 2005 bonus not earned, so either

we now have $69m allocated on an $80m cap or as you view it, $70m on an $81m cap

Same diff.