Rodrique Wright had better NOT be

AKC

disagree, akc. texas had tons of time whether they were at the 15 or the 41, and they were simply going to score. i think carroll knew that -- sc could not stop them all night and was completely flailing at the end. on the other hand, texas could not stop sc all night, so it seemed to me like the right choice at the time. carroll couldn't win -- if he punts, texas scores; if he goes for it and loses, texas scores.

556179[/snapback]

I don't look at college ball the same way as the Pros. 2 minute college offenses are more likely to make mistakes that cost big chunks of time, and the best way to increase the likelihood of mistakes is to increae the number of plays necessary for your opponent. Under 3 minutes, I believe making Texas run the course of the field puts more pressure on them not to make a mistake than it does on my defense to simply wait for one guy to step up and make ONE play. I saw the clock as USCs friend, but the 4th down play took that friend away and wiped out 1/3rd of of the field Texas would have otherwise been forced to negotiate to win.

I can appreciate that there is no definitive answer to the right thing to do. My original point was that I didn't second guess anything done on either sideline with any conviction throughout the game, yet the moment I saw Carroll deciding to play another down I thought "This is the first major mistake made coaching tonight". Up to that decision it had been a football game played by a couple very good football teams. For my money the football decision was to keep the clock advantage by putting the opponent as far back as possible and improving the chances of a Texas error.

I can find a single crappy game for each of the top 10 projected draft picks and base my entire analysis on that one terrible game.  That type of thinking makes you lose out on the Ngatas of the world and draft the Erik Flowers of the world.

556200[/snapback]

True, but until more is known about Ngata's knee injury I'm hesitant in taking him. Yet in the way I'd do things I'd rather go after a veteran like Ryan Pickett in free agency, draft Eric Winston in the 1st Round and grab a Gabe Watson or O'rien Harris in the 2nd round of the draft.

In the biggest game of his life so far Rodrique Wright sure looked like a stretch to be taken in the first round of the upcoming draft. In fact, I’m not sure he was the best DT on the Texas defense- one of the non-starters in the rotation seemed to have less trouble with USC single teams than Wright did. Wright has almost flawless form- he sets up and fires low, gets his hands in position and on top of it for a big guy he has very good foot speed- he’s clearly had good coaching as he’s moved up the food chain and he’s absorbed the lessons. At the same time there’s something wrong when the opposing team guesses right when they keep you out of a running lane with merely a fullback block. Far too many single-teams the balance of the night without breaking off the block for a guy being suggested as a first rounder by some of the draftniks. Looked like a high third round talent to me based on this one game.

I haven’t seen Vince Young play before but I’m surprised anybody believes this kid will be a pro QB; he’s got great, if a bit awkward, talent and he’s strong and cool as the proverbial cucumber, but the fact is mechanically in the passing game he’s horrendous. In the NFL simply his setup time for a pass will doom him, and that “coolness” he gets away with at the college level would translate to lots of sacks in the Pros. An intriguing WR prospect who will probably be taken too high.

BTW- I couldn't have been the only one in a Trojans bar last night who yelled BAD BAD DECISION when Carroll went for the 4th down yardage. Since I had no horse in the race it was my lone outburst of the evening.

556085[/snapback]

He won't be our first pick but he isn't the player you claim him to be. I mean the guy had 7.5 sacks a couple of seasons ago for crying out loud.

He is BY FAR the best DT in this draft regardless of what he did vs. USC.

Uhhm...pretty sure Rodrique Wright is carrying a 2nd round grade right now, at the very best he'll be a LATE 1st rounder.

The way I see it, the ONLY DT the Bills will take in the first round is Ngata.  If he's not there at pick #8, the Bills will go O-Line with Winston Justice or Eric Winston (one of those Winstons) or Secondary help with Jimmy Williams.

556095[/snapback]

I can't see us reaching at that pick for a RT (Winston Justice) or an injured LT (Eric Winston) who's slipping down into the lower part of the first round.

I don't believe Ngata gets past OAK but no way is Wright a 2nd rounder. If he is then we're going to have an amazin g draft.

He is BY FAR the best DT in this draft regardless of what he did vs. USC.

556409[/snapback]

If he's the best DT in the 2006 draft then I'll be perfectly content picking another position in the first round.

I don't look at college ball the same way as the Pros. 2 minute college offenses are more likely to make mistakes that cost big chunks of time, and the best way to increase the likelihood of mistakes is to increae the number of plays necessary for your opponent. Under 3 minutes, I believe making Texas run the course of the field puts more pressure on them not to make a mistake than it does on my defense to simply wait for one guy to step up and make ONE play. I saw the clock as USCs friend, but the 4th down play took that friend away and wiped out 1/3rd of of the field Texas would have otherwise been forced to negotiate to win.

I can appreciate that there is no definitive answer to the right thing to do. My original point was that I didn't second guess anything done on either sideline with any conviction throughout the game, yet the moment I saw Carroll deciding to play another down I thought "This is the first major mistake made coaching tonight". Up to that decision it had been a football game played by a couple very good football teams. For my money the football decision was to keep the clock advantage by putting the opponent as far back as possible and improving the chances of a Texas error.

556203[/snapback]

While I agree with you in principle if I was Carrol I'm probably thinking, "who do I trust to win this championship for us; the best O in the land or one of the worst Ds?"

That makes it a tough decision. I also thought it was a bold move when I saw him make it, but I understood why he made it.

While I agree with you in principle if I was Carrol I'm probably thinking, "who do I trust to win this championship for us; the best O in the land or one of the worst Ds?"

That makes it a tough decision.  I also thought it was a bold move when I saw him make it, but I understood why he made it.

556738[/snapback]

When you're coaching "the best O in the land" and yet on half your drives you've ended up with no change to the scoreboard, I'm thinking it's prudent to start taking your opponent into consideration. Texas may not have the star defensive line some might argue but they do have incredible depth with something like 9 DTs on their roster. I'd argue against the call even if USC had made it and obviously closed the game out- it just seems to me that in the college game you'd like to give your D every opportunity to force a mistake by the opponent. Ceding them 1/3rd of the field ain't the way this guy would go about doing that.

In fact, retrospectively I'd add that if you think Vince Young is the biggest danger, adding to the length of the Texas drive is EXACLTY how you diminish his importance- longer drive means the clock forces him to throw instead of running, and this puts the ball in the hands of his receivers. It didn't take me until the 4th quarter to see that the Texas receivers were hardly the threat #10 was- what game was Carroll watching?

I understand fully the logic behind "closing down the game", but all things considered I find the argument for kicking the ball far more compelling on that one play. I believe USC would have won had they punted since Texas would have had to convert likley two more first downs and they simply would not have had the clock for that.

I can find a single crappy game for each of the top 10 projected draft picks and base my entire analysis on that one terrible game.  That type of thinking makes you lose out on the Ngatas of the world and draft the Erik Flowers of the world.

556200[/snapback]

True, but I am especially hesitant to take someone who's "crappy game" came in that player's most important college game.