Rodrique Wright had better NOT be

AKC

In the biggest game of his life so far Rodrique Wright sure looked like a stretch to be taken in the first round of the upcoming draft. In fact, I’m not sure he was the best DT on the Texas defense- one of the non-starters in the rotation seemed to have less trouble with USC single teams than Wright did. Wright has almost flawless form- he sets up and fires low, gets his hands in position and on top of it for a big guy he has very good foot speed- he’s clearly had good coaching as he’s moved up the food chain and he’s absorbed the lessons. At the same time there’s something wrong when the opposing team guesses right when they keep you out of a running lane with merely a fullback block. Far too many single-teams the balance of the night without breaking off the block for a guy being suggested as a first rounder by some of the draftniks. Looked like a high third round talent to me based on this one game.

I haven’t seen Vince Young play before but I’m surprised anybody believes this kid will be a pro QB; he’s got great, if a bit awkward, talent and he’s strong and cool as the proverbial cucumber, but the fact is mechanically in the passing game he’s horrendous. In the NFL simply his setup time for a pass will doom him, and that “coolness” he gets away with at the college level would translate to lots of sacks in the Pros. An intriguing WR prospect who will probably be taken too high.

BTW- I couldn't have been the only one in a Trojans bar last night who yelled BAD BAD DECISION when Carroll went for the 4th down yardage. Since I had no horse in the race it was my lone outburst of the evening.

BTW- I couldn't have been the only one in a Trojans bar last night who yelled BAD BAD DECISION when Carroll went for the 4th down yardage. Since I had no horse in the race it was my first outburst of the evening.

556085[/snapback]

That's right. When You've got a terrific O-line with Leinart, Bush and LenDale White and you've been picking up 5 yards a play, it's silly to go for it on 4th and 1. Especially when you know your defense will easily stop VY when you give him 20 extra yards to go with a punt.

Uhhm...pretty sure Rodrique Wright is carrying a 2nd round grade right now, at the very best he'll be a LATE 1st rounder.

The way I see it, the ONLY DT the Bills will take in the first round is Ngata. If he's not there at pick #8, the Bills will go O-Line with Winston Justice or Eric Winston (one of those Winstons) or Secondary help with Jimmy Williams.

That's right. When You've got a terrific O-line with Leinart, Bush and LenDale White and you've been picking up 5 yards a play, it's silly to go for it on 4th and 1. Especially when you know your defense will easily stop VY when you give him 20 extra yards to go with a punt.

556093[/snapback]

What a coach in his right mind does is tack the extra 25 or 30 yards onto the Longhorns and let the clock finish them off.

The bottom line is that you MIGHT pick up the first down and win the game as a result, but giving the ball to the opponent who has some MO on offense and shortening the field for them makes the proposition an very poor one.

BTW- Shortly after I said that the Trojan offense proved my point very effectively. This wasn't exactly the Notre Dame defense the Trojans were playing.

Uhhm...pretty sure Rodrique Wright is carrying a 2nd round grade right now, at the very best he'll be a LATE 1st rounder.

556095[/snapback]

I've seen him on a number of sites like this as a 1st rounder, and somewhere as a "can't miss" 1st round DT.

Defensive Tackles

In the biggest game of his life so far Rodrique Wright sure looked like a stretch to be taken in the first round of the upcoming draft. In fact, I’m not sure he was the best DT on the Texas defense- one of the non-starters in the rotation seemed to have less trouble with USC single teams than Wright did. Wright has almost flawless form- he sets up and fires low, gets his hands in position and on top of it for a big guy he has very good foot speed- he’s clearly had good coaching as he’s moved up the food chain and he’s absorbed the lessons. At the same time there’s something wrong when the opposing team guesses right when they keep you out of a running lane with merely a fullback block. Far too many single-teams the balance of the night without breaking off the block for a guy being suggested as a first rounder by some of the draftniks. Looked like a high third round talent to me based on this one game.

I haven’t seen Vince Young play before but I’m surprised anybody believes this kid will be a pro QB; he’s got great, if a bit awkward, talent and he’s strong and cool as the proverbial cucumber, but the fact is mechanically in the passing game he’s horrendous. In the NFL simply his setup time for a pass will doom him, and that “coolness” he gets away with at the college level would translate to lots of sacks in the Pros. An intriguing WR prospect who will probably be taken too high.

BTW- I couldn't have been the only one in a Trojans bar last night who yelled BAD BAD DECISION when Carroll went for the 4th down yardage. Since I had no horse in the race it was my lone outburst of the evening.

556085[/snapback]

Let me preface this by saying I agree with you- BUT, I would keep an eye on him- we don't know if this was just a big game for him, or that big game where everything just clicks, and you just start to get it.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

This is the website I've used for the past 3 years in looking at the draft, and I really do swear by it.

I'm not insulting Wright, I think he will be good...but a lot of other DTs seem to have oodles more upside than he does. If he was there when we pick in the 2nd (even if we take Ngata with the first), I think I'd jump on him. Might as well just settle the DT problem in one draft by getting two starters, ya know?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

This is the website I've used for the past 3 years in looking at the draft, and I really do swear by it. 

I'm not insulting Wright, I think he will be good...but a lot of other DTs seem to have oodles more upside than he does.  If he was there when we pick in the 2nd (even if we take Ngata with the first), I think I'd jump on him.    Might as well just settle the DT problem in one draft by getting two starters, ya know?

556118[/snapback]

I'm all for settling the DT issue first and foremost, and if Ngata is the real deal and can play 2 gap while showing some upfield burst I'm all for him. The next guy we'd want would be a great one gapper to take over for the passing of Big Sam and I saw no indication at all that Wright could wear those spikes. There do appear to be 3 or 4 other viable options within the first 3 rounds to get a one-gap player though.

556093[/snapback]

Yeah, but Bush wasn't even in for the play. :P

What a coach in his right mind does is tack the extra 25 or 30 yards onto the Longhorns and let the clock finish them off.

A coach that didn't have the best college offense in recent history, maybe. Remember, this is USC, not the Notre Dame offense we're talking about. Here's the difference. If USC had made it, everyone (including, probably, you) would have been talking about how brilliant Carroll was in going for it.

See, I'll say it was the right move regardless of outcome.

I was in favor of going for it and putting the game away. The Trojans' punting game wasn't going to give them much extra field position, and their defense had been dominated all game. Instead of relying on your weaker units to win the game for you, you have to rely on whichever unit is strongest. And that was clearly the Trojans' offense.

556085[/snapback]

Thank you. The only thing I disagree with you on Young is that I think he's an intriguing RB prospect, where he can ocassionally throw an option pass. Those sidearm throws won't cut it in the NFL.

The way I see it, the ONLY DT the Bills will take in the first round is Ngata.  If he's not there at pick #8, the Bills will go O-Line with Winston Justice or Eric Winston (one of those Winstons) or Secondary help with Jimmy Williams.

556095[/snapback]

I agree. And as you can see by my signature, I'm excited about Ngata and I believe he can be the difference maker on this Defense. I also believe we would take Ferguson over Ngate if he were available and I would be happy with that pick as well.

The bottom line is that you MIGHT pick up the first down and win the game as a result, but giving the ball to the opponent who has some MO on offense and shortening the field for them makes the proposition an very poor one.

BTW- Shortly after I said that the Trojan offense proved my point very effectively. This wasn't exactly the Notre Dame defense the Trojans were playing.

556099[/snapback]

disagree, akc. texas had tons of time whether they were at the 15 or the 41, and they were simply going to score. i think carroll knew that -- sc could not stop them all night and was completely flailing at the end. on the other hand, texas could not stop sc all night, so it seemed to me like the right choice at the time. carroll couldn't win -- if he punts, texas scores; if he goes for it and loses, texas scores.

disagree, akc. texas had tons of time whether they were at the 15 or the 41, and they were simply going to score. i think carroll knew that -- sc could not stop them all night and was completely flailing at the end. on the other hand, texas could not stop sc all night, so it seemed to me like the right choice at the time. carroll couldn't win -- if he punts, texas scores; if he goes for it and loses, texas scores.

556179[/snapback]

Exactly the best defense in that point of the game was a good offense, if USC gets that 1st down they probably keep the ball or put more points on the board which could have prevented Young to beat him with a final drive. I have bigger issues with the time out he called before the two point attempt.

In terms of the original topic of this thread and Wright, true he was invisible most of this game but as said look at the level of competition he was playing. Not to mention it seems those that want us to take Ngata have failed to mention his failings in his bowl game against Oklahoma.

Exactly the best defense in that point of the game was a good offense, if USC gets that 1st down they probably keep the ball or put more points on the board which could have prevented Young to beat him with a final drive. I have bigger issues with the time out he called before the two point attempt.

In terms of the original topic of this thread and Wright, true he was invisible most of this game but as said look at the level of competition he was playing. Not to mention it seems those that want us to take Ngata have failed to mention his failings in his bowl game against Oklahoma.

556183[/snapback]

carroll didn't call that; one of the guys in the secondary did. carroll looked like he was flabbergasted that he did. it was a huge mistake. they were at the 43 with 8 seconds left, and could have hit a 15 yard pass across the middle and called a timeout. huge mistake.

carroll didn't call that; one of the guys in the secondary did. carroll looked like he was flabbergasted that he did. it was a huge mistake. they were at the 43 with 8 seconds left, and could have hit a 15 yard pass across the middle and called a timeout. huge mistake.

556192[/snapback]

Oh a player called it? Didn't realise, hope his name wasn't Chris Webber. :D

556183[/snapback]

I can find a single crappy game for each of the top 10 projected draft picks and base my entire analysis on that one terrible game. That type of thinking makes you lose out on the Ngatas of the world and draft the Erik Flowers of the world.