Right on the money!

Dante

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the fans that think ralphie is cheap....i'd like to see them eat a 3 or 4 million dollar contract! it seems so easy for other people to spend other peoples money.i think mike is the highest paid coach we have ever had.

irregardless is an actual genuine word. look it up.

irregardless

One entry found for irregardless.

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s

Function: adverb

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

nonstandard : REGARDLESS

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance.

Use regardless instead.

Prior to the 1990's, Ralph was cheap. But since then, his coaching hires have had NOTHING to do with cheapness. He had Marv and IIRC, Marv wasn't underpaid. Then he hired Phillips, who was the Bills' DC, and it's not uncommon to promote from within, right? Then Williams was a hot head coaching prospect, was he not? And Mularkey was more of a sell-job by TD IMHO, and the other top candidates were interested in other jobs.

And the point about the discrepancy WRT paying players but not paying coaches is a great one.

Best article ive seen written on the signing of Levy and the general history of the Bills. Kinda sobering but the reporter pretty much has the Bills figured out. Not that he says anything I didnt know already. It's almost like it was me writing this. I wish I had.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ilson050106.php

555932[/snapback]

That article is pure crap.

Best article ive seen written on the signing of Levy and the general history of the Bills. Kinda sobering but the reporter pretty much has the Bills figured out. Not that he says anything I didnt know already. It's almost like it was me writing this. I wish I had.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ilson050106.php

555932[/snapback]

Dante, did you write that story? C'mon, now, you can be honest.

0:):D

Conner Byrne ? Didn't he used to be a bagger at Wegmans ?

Who the NOBODY is he ?

556390[/snapback]

I don't know who he is, but he sure likes to submit his own articles to TBD.

The guy makes some good points, but what does he know of Ralph's finances? In fact, does anyone really know how much Ralph is worth? I'm not saying he's poor, because an owner has to have at least a certain amount of money to get into the "club", but I doubt Ralph's finances are out there for everyone to see.

That being said, I think Ralph's reluctance to hire "name" coaches comes from bad experience. The last "name" coach Ralph hired was Chuck Knox and we all know how that went. Ralph might think that "name" coaches are the result of hype and of other ownes paying more than they should.

Here's another thing: If all the owners are hiring "name" coaches all the time, how does a bright assistant coach with a lot of potential get a chance to prove himself? At one point, all of the "name" coaches were assistants.

Ralph might be considered cheap by some, but would anyone, including the guy who wrote the article, want to pay someone for doing nothing?

My only doubts about Ralph and Marv are their age (it's a fact that won't go away) and their ability to adapt to a changing league.

This part strikes me as interesting, Byrne writes:

Perhaps Wilson can take lessons on how to do things right from new Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, or New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

Take lessons in what? Racking up debt? This can be particularily dangerous in a small market like Buffalo if they don't get the "gate" receipts.

As much as RW has his demons... He was the only viable owner type to keep the team in WNY. Thank God we have him along with the Knoxes to weather the storm... You see what happened to the Braves.

RW is a very good, sound businessman... And THAT IS A GOOD THING FOR BUFFALO. It has paid dividends by kepping the team put. And it will continue to.

irregardless

One entry found for irregardless.

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s

Function: adverb

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

nonstandard : REGARDLESS

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance.

Use regardless instead. 

556381[/snapback]

check out a real dictionary (Oxford English dictionary, to be precise) instead of the web. it's an archaism, but a real word nonetheless.

check out a real dictionary (Oxford English dictionary, to be precise) instead of the web. it's an archaism, but a real word nonetheless.

556491[/snapback]

archaism (ärk-zm, -k-): An archaic word, phrase, idiom, or other expression.

So now you're going to tell me it falls under "other?" At the very least irregardless is slang.

With all due respect, you start talking like that (using irregardless) in front of an educated audience and they're going to think you're an idiot.