Right on the money!

Dante

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best article ive seen written on the signing of Levy and the general history of the Bills. Kinda sobering but the reporter pretty much has the Bills figured out. Not that he says anything I didnt know already. It's almost like it was me writing this. I wish I had.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ilson050106.php

555932[/snapback]

That was a dumb article

I couldn't read the whole thing, the guy is just a little out there.

But Levy had a good run in KC in the late 70's.  They had success.  He then did a great job in Canada with the Montreal Alouettes. 

Levy is a good man, and he will do a fine job.

555953[/snapback]

No doubt Levy is a good guy. This does smack of a snap desperate decision by a cheap, senile old man though. I have to believe there are better options out there. To me its just more of the same from Wilson. It wasnt Donohue, Mularkey or any other coach or manager that is responsible. Ultimately, its Wilson that the root probelm here. He is the common denominator in this equation. He is the top guy in power.

I couldn't read the whole thing, the guy is just a little out there.

But Levy had a good run in KC in the late 70's.  They had success.  He then did a great job in Canada with the Montreal Alouettes. 

Levy is a good man, and he will do a fine job.

555953[/snapback]

:P

That article is about MM & Ralph, not Levy.

In my mind, Mularkey is actually a larger problem than Donahoe ever was. As an owner, you can tell a GM he can save his job by drafting players by need, instead of the "best player available" philosophy that ended up costing Donahoe his job. It's not as if the owner can teach an abysmal head coach how to do his job.
Couldn't agree more.

Why? Denial? Too close to the truth?

555977[/snapback]

No. Some things are just crap, and that article is one of them.

He's upset because Wilson is "filthy rich" and won't spend his money the way he THINKS he should? Really? I'm sure he can kiss Wilson's lily white saggy asscheeks.

There's no question Wilson is a significant part of the problem. But don't piss in his cereal because he's rich and you don't agree with him.

What a !@#$ing maroon. Maybe he should spend less time whining and more time encouraging the squirrell to run faster so that crap server of his can dish up data sometime in this century.

Maybe Ralph is cheap in paying HC's but I just don't get it. He's not cheap on playing players so why would he scrimp on the HC and not dole an extra 2 or 3 mil? If your payroll is almost 70 million what's another 2, 3 or 4 mil? It doesn't make sense.

No. Some things are just crap, and that article is one of them.

He's upset because Wilson is "filthy rich" and won't spend his money the way he THINKS he should? Really? I'm sure he can kiss Wilson's lily white saggy asscheeks.

There's no question Wilson is a significant part of the problem. But don't piss in his cereal because he's rich and you don't  agree with him.

What a !@#$ing maroon. Maybe he should spend less time whining and more time encouraging the squirrell to run faster so that crap server of his can dish up data sometime in this century.

556021[/snapback]

His jealousy of Wilson aside, he does manage to assess the Bills history pretty accurately. Wilsons(iregardless of his wealth because I could care a less about that) reluctance to spend cash on decent, albeit pricey, coaching staff is a constant throughout the years. It's so frustrating. It just seems that we will never get turned in the right direction until the old fart dies or gives up the team. Maybe the author of the article is a maroon. I guess that makes me one to because he pretty much said everything Ive been thinking the last few years.

Maybe Ralph is cheap in paying HC's but I just don't get it.  He's not cheap on playing players so why would he scrimp on the HC and not dole an extra 2 or 3 mil?  If your payroll is almost 70 million what's another 2, 3 or 4 mil?  It doesn't make sense.

556025[/snapback]

Some people are frugal by nature. Thats how they got rich. Just because he becomes wealthy doesnt mean that his charachter changes. I have a uncle that has, by our estimation, has 4 or 5 million in the bank. He still mooches meals at my fathers house and does not offer to pay a tab when going out with people for dinner. He's just friggen cheap he cant help it. I think Wilson may be the same. Just speculating on that though.

I read the article...the author makes several points, good and bad.

The best point is Wilson striking gold with Marv Levy. Remember, Levy was up in Canada, with the USFL having washed out. But, it turned out he was the perfect hire for the team.

The bad is that Wilson is "penny-pinching". No, he isn't. He spent millions on getting Lawyer Milloy here, thinking he would be the final piece of the defensive puzzle (which he wasn't). He has made some decisions, like forcing Ahmad Rashad to leave over what in today's player salaries is a pittance, that I'm sure he regrets. The money that Ralph Wilson has spent has been wise in some areas, foolhardy in others.

Also, the writer criticizes MM, with a 14-18 record, as a complete failure. I say, give the guy one more year. If he doesn't go at least 9-7, then you can fire his @$$. Two years is not enough time to determine head coaching ability. Greggo got three, so that's the least we can ask.

The writer of the article goes back nearly 40 years, to John Rauch. Rauch was a complete failure in Buffalo (just ask Paul Maguire :D ). He apparently couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag...why use OJ as a decoy???

Bottom line: the article smacks of envy, even with its good points...Wilson's rich, why doesn't he spend more money on the team, yadda yadda yadda. Same old song and dance.

Mike

Guest BackInDaDay
Maybe Ralph is cheap in paying HC's but I just don't get it.  He's not cheap on playing players so why would he scrimp on the HC and not dole an extra 2 or 3 mil?  If your payroll is almost 70 million what's another 2, 3 or 4 mil?  It doesn't make sense.

556025[/snapback]

A player's contract is not guaranteed to last the full term.

A coach's is.

His jealousy of Wilson aside, he does manage to assess the Bills history pretty accurately. Wilsons(iregardless of his wealth because I could care a less about that) reluctance to spend cash on decent, albeit pricey, coaching staff is a constant throughout the years. It's so frustrating. It just seems that we will never get turned in the right direction until the old fart dies or gives up the team. Maybe the author of the article is a maroon. I guess that makes me one to because he pretty much said everything Ive been thinking the last few years.

556176[/snapback]

irregardless? what is this?? the sopranos?

I have a uncle that has, by our estimation, has 4 or 5 million in the bank. He still mooches meals at my fathers house and does not offer to pay a tab when going out with people for dinner. He's just friggen cheap he cant help it.

Neither Ralph nor your uncle made their money by being cheap.

Best article ive seen written on the signing of Levy and the general history of the Bills. Kinda sobering but the reporter pretty much has the Bills figured out. Not that he says anything I didnt know already. It's almost like it was me writing this. I wish I had.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ilson050106.php

555932[/snapback]

i disagree and i as a fan really hope it is way off the mark..........successful people excell at whatever they do.i think marv is good at whatever he does.

i have a real problem with peaple who maintain that an owner is cheap or a pennypincher when it comes to salaries, especially when we are almost always at or over the salary cap maximum each year. maybe we should spend 20 or 30 mil over the cap like the Redskins in previous years or like the jets, or miami. Spending money is not the answer, who to spend it on is.

As to buying coaches, i'm not sure that money was the reason we hired the coaches that we did. It seems that the interviewing was the ultimate criteria. Also, Greg Williams was a highly touted candidate, just like Marvin Lewis, john Fox and others. Mularkery amy have been more a buddy decision, but we really won't know. The members of this board are probably more into what have you done for me lately, than looking at the overall picture. Did MM make decisions we wouldn't have? Sure, but then again what guarantee do you have that your calls would have worked?

He guided this team to 9-7 the first year, with a polished, veteran QB. he flopped with a 2nd year "rookie", believing the other two parts of the team D & ST's would more than compensate. in hindsight, bad choice.

If we change coaches without truly evaluating the one we have, we will be rebuilding with new Offensive and Defensive systems, guaranteeing another 2 years out of the playoffs.