Could Sam Wyche be OC?

God, remember how much Wyche hated Levy, back in the late 80's when Marv complained that the Bengals "no huddle" offense vilolated the "spirit of the game!" Wyche had some rather unflattering words for Marv after that... I bet they will both get a few chuckles out of that...good NFL minds aren't afraid to steal others' ideas, I guess!

God, remember how much Wyche hated Levy, back in the late 80's when Marv complained that the Bengals "no huddle" offense vilolated the "spirit of the game!" Wyche had some rather unflattering words for Marv after that... I bet they will both get a few chuckles out of that...good NFL minds aren't afraid to steal others' ideas, I guess!

555779[/snapback]

you beat me to it! :P

Before he was head coach, what was he?  OC or DC?  I'm too lazy to look into history.

555758[/snapback]

OC...in fact he was the Buffalo Bills third string QB in 1976, I do believe...he is a Bill Walsh "disciple"....worked with Montana and DeBerg...

Before he was head coach, what was he?  OC or DC?  I'm too lazy to look into history.

555758[/snapback]

I think that would require more speaking over the course of a game than would be comfoprtable for him.

Didn't know that.  Then Marv uses it to perfection with the K-Gun!  How awesome.

555783[/snapback]

While there were similarities (and Levy and Co. may have been inspired by Sam's no huddle) they were, in fact, quite different. Cincy's no-huddle really DID violate the spirit of the game as it was used as a way to draw the D into penalties. They would snap the ball as the D was making changes and catch them with too many men on the field.

Buffalo used the no-huddle as an offensive weapon to keep same defensive players on the field and get them winded and confused. The Bills used a "hurry-up" offense...not a "wait to catch the D with too many men on the field" offense.

With that said, I'd take Sam Wyche as OC in a minute..if he thought he was up to it.

I think that would require more speaking over the course of a game than would be comfoprtable for him.

555989[/snapback]

Not really. As QB coach he relays the plays to the QB over the headset anyway. So he would be talking the same.

555779[/snapback]

True... Chuckles for sure.

But as Dr. RockPile :D (I say that with utter respect for you Rockpile... Your history link is what I check first EVERYDAY!) would give in his daily history (even a few days ago) session... Marv and Sam ran two DIFFERENT STYLES of no huddle.

While there were similarities (and Levy and Co. may have been inspired by Sam's no huddle) they were, in fact, quite different.  Cincy's no-huddle really DID violate the spirit of the game as it was used as a way to draw the D into penalties.  They would snap the ball as the D was making changes and catch them with too many men on the field.

Buffalo used the no-huddle as an offensive weapon to keep same defensive players on the field and get them winded and confused.  The Bills used a "hurry-up" offense...not a "wait to catch the D with too many men on the field" offense.

With that said, I'd take Sam Wyche as OC in a minute..if he thought he was up to it.

556303[/snapback]

Thanks for expaining it also Dean!

Does Wyche have the wisdom ? Did I just read that ? :D

The Cinci Offense he ran from the late 80's into the early 90's was one of the best offenses I ever saw. I loved watching them.

He's forgotten more good info than Mularkey will ever know.

Does Wyche have the wisdom ? Did I just read that ?  :D

The Cinci Offense he ran from the late 80's into the early 90's was one of the best offenses I ever saw. I loved watching them.

He's forgotten more good info than Mularkey will ever know.

556329[/snapback]

We can only hope Mularkey forgets what he knows so we never have to see that abortion of an offensive style again.

Didn't know that.  Then Marv uses it to perfection with the K-Gun!  How awesome.

555783[/snapback]

Marv was totally agasinsts the no-huddle

Kelly and Marchibroda had to hold him down and twist both arms to force him to run it.

Marv was totally agasinsts the no-huddle

Kelly and Marchibroda had to hold him down and twist both arms to force him to run it.

556340[/snapback]

That speaks to Marv's ability to listen and delegate. :D