Anyone live in Memphis TN?

The Poojer

thinking about doing a weekend trip St. Patricks Day weekend, ulterior motive is to go to the Grizzlies/Nuggets game(Hack V. Melo). never been and would love some insight, I know it is supposed to be a great city with lots of adult things, but what about the Utes?("...Uh, did you just say..Utes???...)

Never lived there but have visited a couple times, and the wife and I have really enjoyed it. I was hoping against all hope that the Bills Saints game this past season had been moved to Memphis. Great music, clubs and food!

good for kids? 7-15 year old boys? and how far a drive from Richmond? 12 hours or so? Is it a decent drive?

Never lived there but have visited a couple times, and the wife and I have really enjoyed it.  I was hoping against all hope that the Bills Saints game this past season had been moved to Memphis.  Great music, clubs and food!

555045[/snapback]

I'd bring my two 7 and 10 year old kids. Most of the stuff on Beal (sp) St. is kid friendly. The only bad part is this is a roughly 16 hour trip about 820 miles, you are traveling nearly all of Virginia and Tennessee. And don't forget ELVIS!!!!!

i visited Memphis a couple of years ago. one of my favorite vacation trips of all time.

we went in July which was a mistake...i don't do well in heat and humidity.

lots to do and see. and lots for kids as well.

Marvelous Zoo. The kids would love to see the Peabody ducks at the Peabody Hotel. There is a great Aquarium that has opened recently. Beale St. for the adults. Visit the motel where MLK Jr. was assassinated. Eat barbecue at the Rendezvous (a life changing experience.) Lots of Elvis things (but the kids may not appreciate.)

Corky's is where I'd go. Apparently I need to try Rendezvous.

555194[/snapback]

Yes, you do. I have been to both and Rendezvous is better, IMO. Corky's is good if you are going with people who want something else besides ribs (why, I cannot imagine). Rendezvous serves ribs. There are a few other things there, but it is mainly ribs. I heard a story from the guy who took us there. He said that he took another customer there and the conversation with the waiter went like this:

Customer #1: Full rack, please.

Waiter: Full rack.

Customer #2: Also a full rack.

Waiter: Another full rack.

Customer #3: I would like a Ceasar salad with the dressing on the side.

Waiter: 1/2 rack of ribs. Got it.

:lol:

Yes, you do. I have been to both and Rendezvous is better, IMO. Corky's is good if you are going with people who want something else besides ribs (why, I cannot imagine).

555364[/snapback]

Well, that's just it. My GF is very picky with what she eats. Chicken nuggets are about as wild as she'll go. Case in point, if you've ever been to Miami, there's a fantastic seafood restaurant there called The Rusty Pelican. Well we went cause I had a gift certificate. I had Yellow tail snapper, delicious. She debated ordering the chicken, but when I glared at her, she chose the steak. Better, but still.

Well, that's just it. My GF is very picky with what she eats. Chicken nuggets are about as wild as she'll go. Case in point, if you've ever been to Miami, there's a fantastic seafood restaurant there called The Rusty Pelican. Well we went cause I had a gift certificate. I had Yellow tail snapper, delicious. She debated ordering the chicken, but when I glared at her, she chose the steak. Better, but still.

555400[/snapback]

You had snapper in the restaurant in front of your GF?

:lol:

thinking about doing a weekend trip St. Patricks Day weekend, ulterior motive is to go to the Grizzlies/Nuggets game(Hack V. Melo).  never been and would love some insight, I know it is supposed to be a great city with lots of adult things, but what about the Utes?("...Uh, did you just say..Utes???...)

555038[/snapback]

I have a bunch of friends from Collierville around there

I'm in Germantown (suburb of Memphis). For young kids The Children's Museum near liberty Bowl Stadium is excellent as is The Pink Palace Museum. Even if you don't like Elvis, you have to at least tour Graceland, it's very interesting. For ribs/pork, Rendezvous is expensive but good and only serves 'dry' ribs, Corky's is good and moderately priced (I love their greasy onion ring loaf). Other good pork places are Interstate Bar BQ and my Tops Bar BQ.

Stay at the Peabody downtown for great Southern atmosphere and the ducks in the fountain. Peabody Place Mall is next door with some shopping, 22 movie theatres and more restaurants.

DGW

Like Tenny and DG said... The Peabody is a hoot. Everyday the ducks ride down the elevator (with elevator/doorman assist) to get to the fountain inside the hotel... They ride back up at the end of the day. Gets kinda crowded though with all the picture takes.

The Mississippi River Mueseum is really cool... With a scale model of the Mississippi River and its tributaries that actually doulbes as a wading area... You can walk through the water. I was there in 1997, I can't remember if it is with the aquarium?