Carroll pulls a Mularkey

Yeah why would he want his power back on the field in a shortyardage situation?

All the guy was doing was scoring short TD's and shredding the interior of the Texas D all night.

I guess he should have gone with his scatback who had only been able to get outside on the fast Texas D a grand total of one time on a broken play.

No coach....not Carroll, not Mularkey, not Belichick, not Dungy........is going to make the perfect coaching moves in every game. Lendale White was working in this particular game so I'm sure Carroll had faith in him and his O-line. Texas just executed better and won that play. That's football...not necessarily bad coaching.

Yeah why would he want his power back on the field in a shortyardage situation?

All the guy was doing was scoring short TD's and shredding the interior of the Texas D all night.

I guess he should have gone with his scatback who had only been able to get outside on the fast Texas D a grand total of one time on a broken play.

554907[/snapback]

Right. Like all they ever do is RUN with Bush. Like you couldn't split him out and give the defense something else to worry about. Like you couldn't go with a two-back-split set and really give them something to think about.

You want your best weapon, the college football player of the year on the field for that play.

Right. Like all they ever do is RUN with Bush.

You wanted them to throw on that down? As good as they had been on 3rddown throughout the secondhalf, I think that would have truly been a questionable call there.

Like you couldn't split him out and give the defense something else to worry about.

They'd been trying that on 2nddown all night and couldn't get squat out of it. There was no reason to think it was suddenly going to work then.

Like you couldn't go with a two-back-split set and really give them something to think about.

Do they ever run White and Bush split like that? That wasn't the time to try something they don't do.

White had been great betwen the tackles all night while Bush had struggled to get anything going outside against Texas' speed. USC was running up the pipe no matter what so White's number was going to be called regardless. If anything I thought USC should have had some WR's to spread the field, but Bush wasn't going to do them much good on that particular down.

Pete Carrol is an insufferable jackass and a wildly overrated coach, but feeding his succesful powerback in a shortyardage situation is hardly reason to unfavorably compare him to one of the 50 Bills you have a hate-on for.

Pete Carrol is an insufferable jackass and a wildly overrated coach, but feeding his succesful powerback in a shortyardage situation is hardly reason to unfavorably compare him to one of the 50 Bills you have a hate-on for.

554927[/snapback]

I compared him to Mularkey thanks to Mularkey's brilliance in keeping Willis off the field on third downs. Or the call to use Moulds as a decoy. Or any other number of tricky calls he'd made last season.

I compared him to Mularkey thanks to Mularkey's brilliance in keeping Willis off the field on third downs. Or the call to use Moulds as a decoy. Or any other number of tricky calls he'd made last season.

554933[/snapback]

Willis gets tired at the drop of a hat, doesn't catch well and shows little interest in blocking. Meanwhile Shaud Williams is fresh, has good hands and is a willing blocker. But somehow it's stupid to not put McGahee on the field for 60 snaps every week and in situations for which he's not particularly suited? :(

As for Moulds, gee why would you want to feed Lee Evans in single coverage when opponents are rolling coverages towards Moulds' side? The Bills should have stressed to JP that he should always throw into double coverage, then it would have been just like if we had never let Bledsoe get away. :doh:

Willis gets tired at the drop of a hat, doesn't catch well and shows little interest in blocking. Meanwhile Shaud Williams is fresh, has good hands and is a willing blocker. But somehow it's stupid to not put McGahee on the field for 60 snaps every week and in situations for which he's not particularly suited?  :D

My issue with this statement is that McGahee isn't part of the third down "package". When you have concrete and inflexible "packages", it seems to me you're not effectively managing the ebb and flow of games. Even if it was 3rd and 1 it didn't seem McGahee was out there.

As for Moulds, gee why would you want to feed Lee Evans in single coverage when opponents are rolling coverages towards Moulds' side? The Bills should have stressed to JP that he should always throw into double coverage, then it would have been just like if we had never let Bledsoe get away.  :doh:

That's great...so long as you have the QB in the game that can make the deep throw to Evans. Mularkey didn't.

:(

and leaves Reggie Bush on the sideline on a 4th and 1. BRILLIANT! Way to go, Fredo!

554866[/snapback]

Bush is rarely on the field in short yardage or goalline situations. I think White's 26 TD's this year are proof of that.

The real idiotic play was the first 4th & 1 in the 1st quarter, when they emptied the backfield by putting Bush in motion and then sneaking Leinart. That is White's bread and butter.

Bush is rarely on the field in short yardage or goalline situations.  I think White's 26 TD's this year are proof of that. 

The real idiotic play was the first 4th & 1 in the 1st quarter, when they emptied the backfield by putting Bush in motion and then sneaking Leinart.  That is White's bread and butter.

554942[/snapback]

Thus the Mularkey comparison. Carroll let his concrete "plan" get in the way of putting your best players on the field when you need it the most.

My issue with this statement is that McGahee isn't part of the third down "package". When you have concrete and inflexible "packages", it seems to me you're not effectively managing the ebb and flow of games. Even if it was 3rd and 1 it didn't seem McGahee was out there.

Considering the dearth of 3rd/1's all year, it's hard to get an accurate read on it, but I got the impression that the Bills were willing to leave Willis on the field in those short yardage situations. Of course he usually got stuffed 2 yrds deep by 3 guys so it was a moot point.

That's great...so long as you have the QB in the game that can make the deep throw to Evans. Mularkey didn't.

From what I understand it was Wilson who didn't.

And far more than Donahoe's firing, Wilson's "leadership" is the biggest problem I have with the Bills right now.

Considering the dearth of 3rd/1's all year, it's hard to get an accurate read on it, but I got the impression that the Bills were willing to leave Willis on the field in those short yardage situations. Of course he usually got stuffed 2 yrds deep by 3 guys so it was a moot point. 

finally, a good point. It only took you all season. :doh:

From what I understand it was Wilson who didn't.

And far more than Donahoe's firing, Wilson's "leadership" is the biggest problem I have with the Bills right now.

Yeah, I have to think Wilson is,w as and always will be the reason why this team hasn't won a Super Bowl. But I don't believe we'll have much longer to deal with him. I think the NFL at soem point is going to pull a Bud Adams/Modell on him and kind of push him out.

Even better question than why isn't Bush given the ball in the most important play of the game: why weren't they punting rather than giving UT the chance at good field position?

554951[/snapback]

This I can understand. The USC defense couldn't stop young no matter the field position.

Pete Carroll is a cocky, arrogant jerk and he got exactly what he deserved last night. I could coach USC to a National Championship with all that talent playing a bunch of PAC-10 nobodies on a weekly basis. As soon as he had to coach a team to a win, he blew it. How in god's name do you not give the ball to Reggie Bush and 4th & 2? He wasn't even on the field. That is just insane.

That would have actually been the time to punt. On the on the opponents 45 with 1:15 to go and a lead. If you lose, at least make the other team go 80-90+ yards to do it.

The best player in the country, Reggie Bush, was not on the field for the 3rd down play OR the 4th down play. I would have made sure he touched the ball on one of the two plays.

Ahhh, fug it, I would have punted and made Texas go the length of the field. Carroll cost his team a National title.