O'Reilly on Letterman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love David Letterman. One of my favorite entertainers ever. But I'm thrilled I missed this. What a complete disaster.

Key quotes:

Letterman: “I’m not smart enough to debate you point to point on this, but I have the feeling, I have the feeling about 60 percent of what you say is crap. [audience laughter] But I don’t know that for a fact. [more audience applause]
Then why are you??
Letterman: “Yeah, but I think there’s something, this fair and balanced. I'm not sure that it's, I don't think that you represent an objective viewpoint.”

O’Reilly: “Well, you’re going to have to give me an example if you're going to make those claims.”

Letterman: “Well I don’t watch your show so that would be impossible.”

O’Reilly: “Then why would you come to that conclusion if you don't watch the program?”

Letterman: “Because of things that I’ve read, things that I know.”

Holy crap, how embarassing is that? "I don't watch the show and I don't have any examples but I'm pretty sure based on absolutely nothing that your show is biased."

That's also a horrible way to treat a guest, as some of the commentors on the link pointed out. Don't invite someone on your show if you're going to try to sucker punch them once they're out there (and make an ass of yourself doing it). Reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell going ape sh-- on Tom Selleck all those years ago for being in the NRA.

The stuff O'Reilly said about Cindy Sheehan was all very reasonable, BTW. Sounds like he has the same problems with her that anyone would have who actually listened to her interviews.

I love David Letterman.  One of my favorite entertainers ever.  But I'm thrilled I missed this.  What a complete disaster.

Key quotes:

Then why are you??

Holy crap, how embarassing is that?  "I don't watch the show and I don't have any examples but I'm pretty sure based on absolutely nothing that your show is biased."

That's also a horrible way to treat a guest, as some of the commentors on the link pointed out.  Don't invite someone on your show if you're going to try to sucker punch them once they're out there (and make an ass of yourself doing it).  Reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell going ape sh-- on Tom Selleck all those years ago for being in the NRA.

The stuff O'Reilly said about Cindy Sheehan was all very reasonable, BTW.  Sounds like he has the same problems with her that anyone would have who actually listened to her interviews.

553037[/snapback]

what i think is funny is this crazy "onegoodmove" website tries to spin it like Letterman got the best of BO'R. :)

what i think is funny is this crazy "onegoodmove" website tries to spin it like Letterman got the best of BO'R. :)

553224[/snapback]

Ha! I only read the Newsbusters link but the OGM comments are hilarious! People who hate O'Reilly must really be desperate for a "win" against him if they consider that a victory. Letterman just kept saying "Why are we there? Why are we there?" and finally admitted he'd never watched O'Reilly's show after saying he had a feeling that 60% (?) of what BO'R said was BS. Nice debate, I guess. Finally someone who sounds less informed than Kanye West (and admits it).

I like Letterman's show more than O'Reilly's by far and I considered that the biggest embarassment for Dave ever (worse than the Oscars). Do your homework, treat your guests like guests, or retire.

Gee, I thought Lettermen nailed him.  You say potato, I sat pah-tah-to

553599[/snapback]

O’Reilly: “Well, you’re going to have to give me an example if you're going to make those claims.”

Letterman: “Well I don’t watch your show so that would be impossible.”

Oh yeah...he NAILED him!

i'm not suprised

553697[/snapback]

Nor am I that you thought it went the other way. Don't worry though, with RK on your side, how could you possibly be wrong?

"...60% of what you say is crap..." Dead on put down. This wasn't a grade school debate, it was more of a rank fight. I disagree on the percentage, its way over 60, but that would be quibbling.

It is hard to alot about our legal system without getting sick.

PS  Mack Brown National Champs !!!!!!!!!!!!

554903[/snapback]

Which legal system is that, the one in Texas, NY, Conn., Az., Fla., NC, etc., etc,. etc.? They are all different.

"...60% of what you say is crap..."  Dead on put down. 

554941[/snapback]

I would agree that it is a put down if he did not also mention that he has never even seen the show is is just basing his opinion on what someone else told him. Talk about an embarrassment for Letterman.

Nor am I that you thought it went the other way.  Don't worry though, with RK on your side, how could you possibly be wrong?

"...60% of what you say is crap..."  Dead on put down.  This wasn't a grade school debate, it was more of a rank fight.  I disagree on the percentage, its way over 60, but that would be quibbling.

554941[/snapback]

:doh:

whatever.

In my opinion Letterman was "knocked out" when he wiffed on his first punch.

As I have watched this clip a half dozen times.....this was about as bad of an "attack" job since Rosie O'pig had Tom Selleck on her show.

DL couldn't wait to to ask "did you have a "happy holiday".

When BO'R came back with "I had a nice winter solstice". Letterman looked like his night was ruined. He almost instantly became confrontational.

BO'R gives an example of a Memphis library that won't allow the baby Jesus in a manger scene and all DL can say is, "I don't believe it. I don't believe it."

Then in the close for him to say he can't give examples because he doesn't watch the show was as lame as the conservatives saying Michael Moore's movie sucked and in the same breathe say they never saw it.

Take away the applause from the audience who supported Lettermen through most of the exchange, and Lettermen sounds pretty pathetic actually.

Look....I am no fan of BO'R. And I have been a fan of Letterman since before he had his morning show on NBC. DL made an ass of himself.

I would agree that it is a put down if he did not also mention that he has never even seen the show is is just basing his opinion on what someone else told him. Talk about an embarrassment for Letterman.

554971[/snapback]

i liked BO'R reply to this. when Letterman said he based his opinion on things he has read and heard.

O'Reilly said,

"based on what you have read??? do you believe everything that you have read about yourself"?

It is about time we start holding our commedians to higher journalistic standards  :doh:

554981[/snapback]

i read these same arguments yesterday. if it was clear Letterman was trying to be funny it would be one thing. if he came out and did 5 minutes of material on O'Reilly in his monolouge i don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.

but he was trying to ambush a guest.

it was amateurish. and i expect better from Letteman.

554971[/snapback]

minor detail, I don't watch O'Reilly either but have read transcripts of his "best moments" from time to time. Anyone who watches the Daily Show certainly has seen plenty of clips of him in action to reach the same conclusion Lettermen did. Neither you nor I are aware of what sources Dave had for reaching that conclusion and in a brief talk show interview, I certainly don't expect a bibliography. What he did say could cover sources from the internet, to transcripts put together by his staff to clips on the Daily Show.

In the end, no matter how unsound his sources, he reached the correct conclusion.

I like when he said: "60%...I'm just spitballing here". So he was clear that this was just an estimate and on that basis, I withdraw my earlier criticism of Lettermen that a more accurate figure would be well over 60%. :doh: