More from Mortensons chat...now Mort

i realize we are not really a measuring stick of the entire bills fan base, but go back to last Feb-Sept and tell me that a lot of fans here were not calling this a playoff team, heck I predicted 19-0, but then again I do that every year.  We as fans are a fickle bunch, but that is our right and it is what makes us fans, we want it both ways, and when it doesn't work we B word about everything.

552752[/snapback]

but who was thinking that after game 2 or 3? not many. most would have been happy to finish with a "strong" 8-8 record in which the offense improved over what it done when led by bledsoe.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're confusing fans on this board with Bills fans in general.  Those are two completely different animals.

552758[/snapback]

i know many bills fans who are not on this board. all of them bought into the notion that they needed to season the kid. do i know all bills fans? no. but my sample is pretty good.

A lot of us were hoping for a Roethlisberger (sp?) type season, meaning the rookie does ok with a solid supporting cast around him. That doesn't mean fans were demanding playoffs. 8-8 with a rookie qb would have been ok with me. The monumental failure of the defense when it mattered and a horrible o-line made everything worse.

A lot of us were hoping for a Roethlisberger (sp?) type season, meaning the rookie does ok with a solid supporting cast around him. That doesn't mean fans were demanding playoffs. 8-8 with a rookie qb would have been ok with me. The monumental failure of the defense when it mattered and a horrible o-line made everything worse.

552765[/snapback]

You mean like:

Alan Faneca

Jeff Hartings

Marvel Smith

Sounds like Mort has been talking to TD. "Blame the disgraceful fans who got poor Gregg fired, who have questioned GM's performance, who dare to expect more than one winning season in five, and who dare to expect this team to reach the playoffs."

In TD's world, fans are only good for providing the team with financial support and to be the scapegoats when his decisions don't work out right.

Sounds like Mort has been drinking the same kool-aid.

First, everyone seems to judge "bills fans" by this board alone. We are not representative of every bills fan.

Second, go back into the archives and find some posts after week 2 - 3. Yes, there were those of us who hated seeing Losman benched, and there were many who wanted Holcomb in. Now look at the posts after Holcomb's first win.

Fans want it both ways and so do the coaches...Mort was right. The only problem is that he doesn't acknowledge the fact that Losman was sitting on the bench at the end of the season when playoffs were far out of reach and his injuries had heeled enough for him to play. THAT was a huge mistake by MM.

Jerk (Buffalo)

The biggest problem in Buffalo is that the management can't manage. This team should have been developing a QB this year instead of trying to make the playoffs. Everyone in management was trying to save their behind by propping this team up to sell tickets. And now we have nothing, not even a QB to build on next year. ARe they gonna dangle playoffs in our face again or deal with reality?

CHRIS MORTENSEN

Unfortunately, the fans wouldn't let the Bills develop a young QB. They appropriately considered themselves playoff caliber but when the defense unexpectedly fell apart, the whole thing crumbled. But fans always want it both ways...and so do owners. That's the beast.

552700[/snapback]

I recall TD in a fan Q&A session, was quoted as saying something to the same effect. "The fans wanted JP, but when he struggled like all young QB's do, they got impatient." Realistically, we the fans control their decisions. They want to please the fans so they can sell seats. That is THEIR JOB. If we don't go to games, they don't have jobs. Even if MM and TD wanted to "groom" JP, the fans discontent forced them in another direction. Not to mention the possibility of frustrated veterans on the team.

I know that I wasn't around much this year, but I saw a *lot* of Bills fans predicting a +.500 finish or a playoff appearance.

Q: More importantly, why do so many fans want Donahoe fired:

A: The Bills not make the playoffs this year (or even finishing above .500.

Let's not kid ourselves - Donahoe is being fired today because the Bills went 5-11 this year, and the Bills went 5-11 this year because Losman was not ready to be an NFL QB in his second year, and was one of the worst QB's in the League this year.

JDG

i know many bills fans who are not on this board. all of them bought into the notion that they needed to season the kid.  do i know all bills fans? no. but my sample is pretty good.

552763[/snapback]

Well Dave we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one because I think this season was a case of fans wanting it both ways at times. I also am glad TD is leaving. So 'nuff said.

Guest BackInDaDay
Marv Levy once said "If I start screwing the fans, I might as well go sit with Donahoe."

552761[/snapback]

Smart man. :D

You mean like:

Alan Faneca

Jeff Hartings

Marvel Smith

552770[/snapback]

Well, considering the right side of the line was ok last year (who knew Mike Williams would rise to new levels of suckitude) and we all had reservations about Anderson and Gandy, yes a good supporting cast--a defense that only lost one person and an offense with 2 very good receivers and a good running back to help out a rookie qb. And who knew the big fat guys we have couldn't even run block, let alone pass-block.

no, he's wrong. the overwhelming consensus among bills fans was that losman needed to take his lumps and play (i know, because i was one of the few people who wasn't part of this consensus). also, most fans didn't consider the bills a playoff team - they aren't that dumb.  the only people lobbying for the benching of losman for holcomb and arguing that the bills were an elite team were the actual players on the team.  except for a small minority of fans, that's it.

552736[/snapback]

My take it a lot different than yours on this. I think the majority of fans soured on Losman after game four. I wasn't one of them but I think that more than 50%, perhaps a lot more, thought either Losman wasn't ready or was a total bust just around the time Moulds did. I think a lot of fans wanted mularkey to make that switch and were happy he did. More than half. That lasted through two wins and then soured halfway through the second quarter of the KC game. Suddenly there was no choice and KH was hurt and JP played well. Then the vast majority of the fans, in my estimation, 90% of them, were on Losman's side and all for the second switch. We still had a shot because the Patriots were struggling and Jp played a great game.

Then sometime after the Miami fiasco and the meltdown against NE, the fans split again. Some wanted Holcolm because he was the best chance at winning a game (which I didn't believe) and some wanted JP to get the experience whether they thought he was good or not. Then, showing their fickleness, they changed again somewhere around week 15 when it became clear that the season was a total mess and Holcomb was not an answer. Then the majority wanted JP to play. I see the fans changing their opinion in drastic measure four times this season, and the only time it didn't coincide with Mularkey's decision was the last two weeks.

Hey look, another over reaction to a very accurate answer!  Can never have enough of these.

552708[/snapback]

Accurate? By your standards maybe... I'm one Fan, admittedly only one, who was totally against JP's benching...Before this Season even started I told myself numerous times we may very well struggle to get JP the experience he needs...Hope for the best, expect the worst I figured...But JP's benching had a lasting effect on the team and it forced the Locker Room to take sides...It made a hard uphill battle even harder, and now JP has a half years experience instead of a full one...Not for one second did I think the Bills were legit Contenders just because they beat up on the Texans on Opening Day...

I think a decent amount of the Fan Base was more than willing to wait it out with JP...Hey, at least when we sucked it gave us an excuse...Instead MM made the situation worse. And if anyone, anyone thinks this is not going to carry into next Season with Coach wishy-washy back, they're kidding themselves...

Get ready for more trick Plays and blaming bad luck for losses from our HC...Then Mort can find something else to blame the Fans for...

What a joke... :D

Well, considering the right side of the line was ok last year (who knew Mike Williams would rise to new levels of suckitude) and we all had reservations about Anderson and Gandy, yes a good supporting cast--a defense that only lost one person and an offense with 2 very good receivers and a good running back to help out a rookie qb. And who knew the big fat guys we have couldn't even run block, let alone pass-block.

552803[/snapback]

The difference being that those guys are Pro Bowl players who have "shown and proven", while we're hoping our guys can play @ that level. Ah, hope. Where would we be w/out it?

There's always next year...

Accurate? By your standards maybe... I'm one Fan, admittedly only one, who was totally against JP's benching...Before this Season even started I told myself numerous times we may very well struggle to get JP the experience he needs...Hope for the best, expect the worst I figured...But JP's benching had a lasting effect on the team and it forced the Locker Room to take sides...It made a hard uphill battle even harder, and now JP has a half years experience instead of a full one...Not for one second did I think the Bills were legit Contenders just because they beat up on the Texans on Opening Day...

I think a decent amount of the Fan Base was more than willing to wait it out with JP...Hey, at least when we sucked it gave us an excuse...Instead MM made the situation worse. And if anyone, anyone thinks this is not going to carry into next Season with Coach wishy-washy back, they're kidding themselves...

Get ready for more trick Plays and blaming bad luck for losses from our HC...Then Mort can find something else to blame the Fans for...

What a joke... :D

552810[/snapback]

Hey, I hate MM. I think he is the worst coach in the league. I think he did less with more than any other bottom dwelling team this year.

And he should not make one decsion based on the fans. Not one.

That said, what Mort said was accurate. The fan base was split. We wanted it both ways. And I'm sure everyone in the organization did too.