Is this enough?

JoeF

I love Marv Levy (who mysteriously is now 77 down from previous reports from 80--at this rate he will be 45 by 2:30 PM)--but this team was:

1) Out of shape

2) Poorly schemed

3) Little heart

4) Undisciplined

5) Divided

All things the head coach should impact....

A Marv Levy bandaid on a bleeding artery is not enough for me... A coach willing to keep his job by purging assistants isn't going to be able to attract top level assistants. Nor I fear are we going to be able to attract many free agents. Marv's star power is aged. It sucks that we may have to suffer through a lame duck year with Mularkey and make little or no progress in 06.....I would rather start over now....just my rant for a Wednesday morning...

I wonder if Levy was hired, in part, to help Mularky with the public aspect of coaching. That's like a band-aid.

Also, if he could weigh and judge the differences between what each coach wants in the draft and what the team really needs, then Levy might be able to help out.

That might be another band-aid.

But we really just need an offensive and defensive line.

That's the gushing wound.

His team went to the superbowl four times.

552414[/snapback]

I am happy Marv is back and mean no disrespect...but I don't think that his presence alone is enough to turn around this mess. I will wait to see what the other changes are--but I just can't envision this team being much better with MM as head coach...even with Marv running the football show....I hope there is more to this or I hope I am wrong..(which I am pretty often)...

I am happy Marv is back and mean no disrespect...but I don't think that his presence alone is enough to turn around this mess.  I will wait to see what the other changes are--but I just can't envision this team being much better with MM as head coach...even with Marv running the football show....I hope there is more to this or I hope I am wrong..(which I am pretty often)...

552428[/snapback]

I too, worry about the "glow" of Marv, so to speak, detracting from the task at hand...

I too, worry about the "glow" of Marv, so to speak, detracting from the task at hand...

552434[/snapback]

I like Marv, and I think he will be of great help in the draft...assuming Mularkey and Donahoe are gone. He will also be of great help in bringing in a new coach and orienting him (particularly if he comes from the college ranks.). I don't see anything changing, however, if we keep Mularkey.

Fixing the problems on this team is part GM, part coach. Levy is not coming in to instruct Mularkey, an I could not picture him interfering, unless asked foradvice- he knows how being a head coach is, so would allow Mularkey to succeed/fail on his own merits

I wonder if Levy was hired, in part, to help Mularky with the public aspect of coaching.  That's like a band-aid.

Also, if he could weigh and judge the differences between what each coach wants in the draft and what the team really needs, then Levy might be able to help out. 

That might be another band-aid.

But we really just need an offensive and defensive line. 

That's the gushing wound.

552419[/snapback]

D line??? OH NO...we have SCHOBEL!!! we are almost there!!

For anything you ever want to say about Marv, I will say that he had two great strengths as head coach:

1. Understanding how to deal with a team full of egos

2. Delegating the actual coaching and play calling to his well qualified assistants.

If he serves as nothing more than a mentor to MM, then it would really be worthwhile for MM to pick up on both of these two aspects of being a head coach. MM needs to forget about being recognized as some "top flight" offensive-minded coach, hire a genuine quality OC -- and make sure that everyone is doing what they are supposed to do.

Its' really not all that hard.