Question about Coal Mining

The Poojer

Is it still necessary in todays age of technology to still be so human labor intensive, especially underground?  I know nothing about coal mining so I do not know the processes.

552323[/snapback]

Yep. Operating continuous mining machines, installing roof bolts, running utilities, keeping conveyors operating, shuttling trams, dewatering the halls and shafts, etc.

The popular image of a coal mine is a high roof where one can stand. But most are low, not much higher that the seam - a lot of miners spent their days on their haunches.

Many work intermittantly - get enough money to tide them over, then leave and come back when the $ runs low.

Yep. Operating continuous mining machines, installing roof bolts, running utilities, keeping conveyors operating, shuttling trams, dewatering the halls and shafts, etc.

The popular image of a coal mine is a high roof where one can stand. But most are low, not much higher that the seam - a lot of miners spent their days on their haunches.

Many work intermittantly - get enough money to tide them over, then leave and come back when the $ runs low.

552345[/snapback]

Miners in WV earn on average 55k per year.

Is it still necessary in todays age of technology to still be so human labor intensive, especially underground?  I know nothing about coal mining so I do not know the processes.

552323[/snapback]

Pooj, there was great series on PBS entitled"Appalachia" where they really went into the history of mining quite extensivelly. In short, while it takes about one tenth the man power it once did, as stated above, there are still jobs that need to be done with manual labor.

Obviosly strip mioning much safer, but then the envirnomental concerns take over. Also, some of the stuff just cannot be reached without tunneling.