LOST

Puhonix

I saw this when it ran in the newspaper last month and thought about posting it, but now it seems to be a big deal. So here it is, Tallahassee's reaction to LOST.

Visitors bureau irked by TV show

Memo to the writers of "Lost" - next time you mention Tallahassee in your hit TV show, try to mention our canopy roads and Southern hospitality rather than our strip malls and Waffle Houses.

At least that's what the Tallahassee Area Convention & Visitors Bureau wants you to do.

The ABC show, about plane crash survivors stuck on an island so mysterious it makes the Twilight Zone seem like Mayberry, mentioned Tallahassee in its Nov. 30 episode. In a flashback sequence, the U.S. marshal pursuing Kate (Evangeline Lilly) tracks her down at a bus station, where she was buying a ticket to Tallahassee.

"Tallahassee?" the marshal asks. "I spent a week in Tallahassee one night. It's all strip malls and Waffle Houses. What's a pretty girl like you going to do down in Tallahassee?"

"I'm sure I'll find something," Kate replies before the marshal arrests her.

Sharon Liggett, president and CEO of the Tallahassee Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, was flipping channels when the show aired and happened to catch the exchange between Kate and the marshal.

"The way in which it was said did not shed a positive light on Tallahassee," she said.

Liggett wrote a letter to "Lost" producers last week inviting them to visit Tallahassee to get a true feel for the town.

"We would love to showcase the deep-rooted history, rolling hills, canopy roads of moss-draped oaks and Southern-style hospitality of Tallahassee with you," she wrote.

"And maybe they'll take us up on it," she said later.

The episode with the Tallahassee reference attracted 13.5 million viewers, according to the Nielsen ratings. That made it the nation's sixth most popular show of the week.

DIALOGUE FROM ABC'S "LOST" 

U.S. marshal: "Tallahassee? I spent a week in Tallahassee one night. It's all strip malls and Waffle Houses. What's a pretty girl like you going to do down in Tallahassee?"

Kate: "I'm sure I'll find something."

you read the article, all strip malls and waffle houses.

555187[/snapback]

No Winn Dixie's? No Piggly Wiggly's?

I wouldn't say Tallahassee has a PR problem. Especially after seeing those pix... Hum-a-na hum-a-na!!! Ho-ly bejesus...

Now Buffalo having to explain that it could someday thrive again economically, now that is going uphill... Even though there are numerous examples of thriving northern climates with intense winters.

We do have a few Winn-Dixies, but being in Florida, we are in the land of Publix.

555744[/snapback]

I'm telling you, lets open a denny's franchise. biggest mistake the other idiots made was that it wasnt within walking distance of campus. If we put one there, theres 35,000 students cater to, more than half of them drunk or stoned and looking for food at 2:30 am. And Mickey D's cant serve them all!

I'm telling you, lets open a denny's franchise. biggest mistake the other idiots made was that it wasnt within walking distance of campus. If we put one there, theres 35,000 students cater to, more than half of them drunk or stoned and looking for food at 2:30 am. And Mickey D's cant serve them all!

555782[/snapback]

It's settled then. You guys open the Denny's and I'll open the 7-11. We'll all be rich and we'll buy TBD a new server.