Ranking HC openings

scribo

...in order of what I think would be most attractive to head coaching canidates.

1. Kansas City – Decent all-around team. Very good run offense and an improving defense. The Chiefs just missed the playoffs and seems to be the only team with a head coaching vacancy that could be considered a Super Bowl contender next year.

2. St. Louis – The Rams had virtually no playmakers on defense. In fact, the D sucked. I doubt it can be completely fixed in one offseason, but, on the other hand, the team has a serviceable QB, an outstanding, young running back and an above average receiving corps. I believe that with the right philosophy (read: not a West Coast offense), this is the second most likely team on this list to find its way into the postseason next year.

3. Buffalo (hoping this becomes an opening) – The Bills have a solid mix of young talent and veteran experience. The problems are specific enough that a good showing in free agency and the draft very well could fill a majority of the holes that allowed the ship to sink this season. Depth on both lines will likely continue to be an issue next year, so an incoming coach will be betting a lot of his starters staying healthy. The big problem here is that we fans are understandably growing impatient – we need a playoff team sooner than later. Of course, the past two head coaches.

4. Houston – OK, fans will be patient, to an extent. The Texans will likely walk away from New York City April 29 with Reggie Bush. The players are convinced talent wasn't the problem and that the new coach can make a quick impression by getting off to a fast start next season – I agree, and I expect many candidates will, too.

5. Minnesota – A new owner, an ill-fated boat party, trading away Randy Moss, and now rumors that Dante Culpepper will be sent packing. The Vikings need a cop as much as they need a coach. This is a team that can win, but too many questions still and will loom next year. The one plus is that the new owner is showing he’ll spend the dough necessary to win, and the defense’s retooling is going well and will likely continue this offseason.

6. Green Bay – Farve will likely retire, so the new coach inherits a team without experience under center. Yes, the Packers were big time victims of injuries this year, but the team has many needs that will take at least a few years to meet. Sherman is leaving some big shoes to fill, and that fan base truly expects to win every year. The next coach will have a short leash from the get go.

7. Oakland – The Raiders may have the players and fan base to rank higher on this list, but who wants to work for Al Davis? He is too erratic to attract decent candidates. It took him weeks just to get Norv Turner to take the job two years ago, and I think he’ll have an even more difficult time this year. Throw in the fact that the new coach will have to deal with Moss on a daily basis, oh, and the team has one huge question mark at QB.

8. New Orleans – A team in disarray. Everything is up in the air, and it is going to be nearly impossible to assemble a successful team until questions about ownership, practice locations, game locations and stadium needs are all answered. Yes, they have the number two pick, Leinart might want no part of the Saints, and could manipulate the club's draft strategy like Eli Manning did with the Chargers.

9. Detroit – The Lions aren’t in that bad of shape, but the incoming coach will likely be the outgoing coach when GM Matt Millen gets the boot.

5. Minnesota – A new owner, an ill-fated boat party, trading away Randy Moss, and now rumors that Dante Culpepper will be sent packing. The Vikings need a cop as much as they need a coach. This is a team that can win, but too many questions still and will loom next year. The one plus is that the new owner is showing he’ll spend the dough necessary to win, and the defense’s retooling is going well and will likely continue this offseason.

552189[/snapback]

The vikings were a good example of how to not build a team...Their defense

were made of high-priced veteran acquisitons...Though the team played there

mid-season soft schedule very good winning 6 in a row, when the games

mattered they were pushed around.......and that defense could not hold

anyone...The steelerso went into their house and rammed it down their

throat.....

...in order of what I think would be most attractive to head coaching canidates.

1. Kansas City – Decent all-around team. Very good run offense and an improving defense. The Chiefs just missed the playoffs and seems to be the only team with a head coaching vacancy that could be considered a Super Bowl contender next year.

552189[/snapback]

The chiefs are a tad overrated. They dont have a solid defense, and if you look at their offense, they are a year or so away from starting LJ, gonzalez and 9 rookies, as the offense is about 40 yrs old on average. They also have no WR's.

My take:

1. Kansas City – Carl Petersen, Great Fans and a contending team

2. Houston–Best facilities in the league and willing to spend money

3. Green Bay –

4. Buffalo–

5. St. Louis –

6. Minnesota –

7. Oakland – Who would really want this job?

8. Detroit – Millen is a huge knock against, but it has many pieces in place

9. New Orleans –Too many distractions in ownership and in the community

1. Houston - A lot of bits and pieces in place, the option to take Reggie Bush or a bundle of draft picks for the rights to Bush, and just posting a winning record could make you the toast of the town.

2 (tie). Green Bay - Team's poor showing this year likely a result of injury, and one of the NFL's marquee franchises. Might fall back into the pack if Favre retires.

2 (tie). NY Jets (based on Herm Edwards likely leaving for KC) - A team that was devastated by injuries, and if Chad Pennington can play, should become better almost immediately.

4. (tie) St. Louis, Buffalo, Minnesota, Oakland - All decent teams in transition. All with questions swirling around the QB. Not a lot to distinguish any of them.

8. Kansas City - An old team that had clearly been built to try and put together one last run for a coach that could retire at any time. The city is used to winning, but a serious rebuilding effort might be needed either next year, or the year after next.

9. New Orleans - You might not want to buy a house here - even if you could.

10. Detroit - No job security in being hired by Millen

My take:

1. Kansas City – Carl Petersen, Great Fans and a contending team

2. Houston–Best facilities in the league and willing to spend money

3. Green Bay –

4. Buffalo–

5. St. Louis –

6. Minnesota –

7. Oakland – Who would really want this job?

8. Detroit – Millen is a huge knock against, but it has many pieces in place

9. New Orleans –Too many distractions in ownership and in the community

552338[/snapback]

why the Packers before the Bills?

I think the Packers are one of the model organizations in the NFL.  Great stability, a decent talent base, etc.  Also, I'm not certain Favre will base his career on a HC.

552459[/snapback]

Negatives

-the Pack have no offensive line left, no healthy running backs, few receivers and no QB (Favre is a goner)

-they will be in cap hell due to Favre leaving.

-the special teams are poor

Positives

-patient managemnt group

-the defense is playing better under Bates

-there is still a glow from last decades superbowl win= happy fans

-most fans knew this day was coming once Favre retires that they would suck for a few years. think of Bills fans from 95-2000 :ph34r: vs Bills fans from 2001 to 2005 :pirate:

Bottom Line

there will be a 3-5 year grace period in GB for a new coach. this would make the GB job a little more attractive than Buffalo IMO