Quiet prayer for the miners in WV

Whatever happened to journalistic integrity? Seems the terms are mutually exclusive. First rule of journalism 101 is "check your sources". Now its "must break story first". WTF? Didnt the media learn from the Gore/Bush Florida debacle? Richard Jewel? James Brady? Jason Blair? !@#$ the media in this country!

RIP miners. My prayers for you and your familys

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May God rest the soul of your Grandfather, who was brave enough to take such risk for his family.

If left to their own devices, these companies would no doubt still be sending our children in there.

552340[/snapback]

No doubt Bill, no doubt.

The only thing is that somebody has to go into the mines... This country lives on coal. On the Illinois Waterway (small waterway compared to the others like the MS or OH systems) alone in 2005, coal accounted for 20+ million ton of the commodities shipped. Seems we ain't shying away from the fossil fuels to generate electricity

God rest the souls of the miners and sympathy for their family.

On the Illinois Waterway (small waterway compared to the others like the MS or OH systems) alone in 2005, coal accounted for 20+ million ton of the commodities shipped.  Seems we ain't shying away from the fossil fuels to generate electricity

554506[/snapback]

Well when the uneducated general public is scared of nuclear tehnology, it leaves us no place to turn but the "safe" coal industry.

The coverage of the poor coverage of the mining tragedy is killing me.

Every time one of the morons at CNN starts talking about the mistakes made in WV, I have no idea if they're talking about the actual explosion and rescue efforts or the 3 hours where they were reporting the wrong thing. I don't even think they know! Some of them sound more upset that the press got the story wrong than they are that the 12 guys died. And of course you have the reporters who do the 'fake outrage' thing (because they are so righteous, after all) and they act upset on the air without really specifying exactly who they're upset with.

Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News is probably the best example. She spends every minute she's on the air on the verge of tears and just spews nonsense like "How? How? How could this happen?" The answers from anyone she interviews are all just shrugs because no one knows what she's getting at, other than she's upset for the 9,000th day in a row.

Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News is probably the best example.  She spends every minute she's on the air on the verge of tears and just spews nonsense like "How?  How?  How could this happen?"  The answers from anyone she interviews are all just shrugs because no one knows what she's getting at, other than she's upset for the 9,000th day in a row.

554986[/snapback]

Nancy Grace is the most god-awful show host on TV. She's such a humanitarian, all she wants to do is save the animals, find the people, help the people, etc... Of all the crap she spews none of it is even remotely controversial, original, or even debateble to her guests. Anyone who disagrees with her is evil (See TD). And she's not even good to look at.

I hated her since the Terry Shiavo case. I cant imagine what she'd be like covering sports.

Well when the uneducated general public is scared of nuclear tehnology, it leaves us no place to turn but the "safe" coal industry.

554961[/snapback]

Not to sound cold... It was only 12 people. Still, God rest their poor souls and I pray for their families. Though, I am NOT scared of nuclear tech... The coal industry is MORE safe, LONG term. I am all for pushing nuclear power... There is just more at stake and the margins for error are smaller. Long term issues with disposal are serious.

I will puke up the crap they have been saying: 2005 was the safest year ever for the US coal industry... Then whammo, this happens days after New Year's.

:D

But, I have to admit... Go back to the beginning of the thread and NavyBillsFan got it RIGHT... The truth was out there in the beginning. Once, the "hope" of survivors spread like wild fire... All else was drowned out. The truth was ALWAYS out there.

Yeah, no big deal.  Hell, I've probably got that many under my couch right now...

556536[/snapback]

You know what I mean.

Something about being buried alive is a terrorifying thought no matter how many people are innvolved.

Yet, in the grand scheme of things we can say things like: "Heck, more people die in Detroit, MI by random gunfire than in Iraq."

:lol::P

You know what I mean.

Something about being buried alive is a terrorifying thought no matter how many people are innvolved.

Yet, in the grand scheme of things we can say things like: "Heck, more people die in Detroit, MI by random gunfire than in Iraq."

:w00t:  :w00t:

556728[/snapback]

Well...yeah. To most people, the who, why, and how matter. A lingering death from cancer is heroic, an 18-year old's suicide is tragic, being buried alive is horriffic, freezing to death homeless on the streets of NY in January is largely ignored. Most people don't give death a second though; it's dying that holds the public fascination.

I read today that some of them wrote notes to their loved ones. Tragic.

557598[/snapback]

I'm amazed that pictures of the notes have been all over the internet and TV today. Seems a little private/morbid - especially so soon after this thing happened.

I'm amazed that pictures of the notes have been all over the internet and TV today.  Seems a little private/morbid - especially so soon after this thing happened.

557632[/snapback]

Thats our media for you- got to get the scoop! Screw ethics, sensitivity and empathy. It is mindblowing which storys our media cover. People in Mississippi and Louisiana still need help. Pakistan needs help recoverying from that horrible earthquake. !@#$ them- lets cover Brad Pitt and Angela Jolie. Tsunami impact areas are still reeling- !@#$ them- lets cover the Peterson trial. What time is American Idol on? It is so pathetic and sickening