Gregg Williams is the HOT candidate

zow2

Correct as a DC he is good...but has done nothing to show he can be a head coach!

550063[/snapback]

He's done as much as Shanahan did as a coordinator in San Fransisco, or as Belichick did w/ the Giants, Jets, and Patriots before taking over as head coach. Those guys failed in their first attempts, got on the staffs of experienced coaches, and then performed well enough as coordinators to earn another shot as head coach, where they did better. I'm not saying Gregg will have the same level of success, but I'm also not saying it's a fact that he won't. Why? Because I don't know that to be a fact.

Neither do you.

Correct, Houston will either take Leinhart, or trade down and get more picks.  They do not need Bush and I cannot see them taking Ferguson 1st overall.

550064[/snapback]

I think they should try to swap for the #2 pick, get an additional pick, and use the 2nd pick on Ferguson.

He's done as much as Shanahan did as a coordinator in San Fransisco, or as Belichick did w/ the Giants, Jets, and Patriots before taking over as head coach.  Those guys failed in their first attempts, got on the staffs of experienced coaches, and then performed well enough as coordinators to earn another shot as head coach, where they did better.  I'm not saying Gregg will have the same level of success, but I'm also not saying it's a fact that he won't.  Why?  Because I don't know that to be a fact. 

Neither do you.

550067[/snapback]

uh, belichick got to the playoffs one year (11-5) with the browns and made it to the second round after beating parcells' pats in the first round.

uh, belichick got to the playoffs one year (11-5) with the browns and made it to the second round after beating parcells' pats in the first round.

550076[/snapback]

Ya got me there. You managed to pick the one winning season the Browns had under Belichick in his 5 year tenure. I stand corrected: Gregg had 3 losing seasons here while Belichick had only 4 in his 5 year stint in Cleveland.

Correct, Houston will either take Leinhart, or trade down and get more picks.  They do not need Bush and I cannot see them taking Ferguson 1st overall.

550064[/snapback]

I don't see a chance in hell of that happening. Whether it is a need or not (see McGahee), the fans and media are making the #1 pick this year. You don't take Sam Bowie when there is a possible Michael Jordan on the block. Mcnabb - Williams will pale in comparision to the fan outrage if this is done.

I don't see a chance in hell of that happening. Whether it is a need or not (see McGahee), the fans and media are making the #1 pick this year. You don't take Sam Bowie when there is a possible Michael Jordan on the block. Mcnabb - Williams will pale in comparision to the fan outrage if this is done.

550140[/snapback]

And, as the Philly episode has shown us:

the fans are always right.

Bush is the #1 pick, plain and simple.  Whether Houston grabs him or they trade it to someone else it's Reggie #1.  He will prove it again tomorrow night.

550239[/snapback]

And if he blows out his knee tomorrow night he'll fall to the Bills , letting their award winning rehab staff take a crack at another miracle. If they're lucky he'll be ready just in time for McGahee's holdout. Who's Bush's agent?

In a town like KC that already has a pretty decent team -- and a fine offense in particular, I think Gregg could do well in his second go-around, assuming that he doesn't monkey with the existing offense.

The one key that is missed, I think, is his media and player dealings. Remember how sick we got of him here talking abut "execution" after each loss? Greggo has done enough things even this year (his handling of Lavar Arrington, for example) that could have been PR disasters (think of MM's bouts with Moulds and Adams) were it not for Gibbs' ability to defuse the situation -- at least in the public eye. Things have worked for him in Washington because he's been able to play the bad cop to Joe Gibbs' good cop. There are certain things that a coordinator can get away with that a head coach can't.