Does anyone have a picky eater?

SDS

whenever we make him try a bite of something new. We are trying to get him to eat what we eat for dinner, but ever since he threw up after eating some corn - he now works himself up to the point that 5 grains of rice makes him upchuck his entire dinner... :unsure:

whenever we make him try a bite of something new.  We are trying to get him to eat what we eat for dinner, but ever since he threw up after eating some corn - he now works himself up to the point that 5 grains of rice makes him upchuck his entire dinner...  :unsure:

549547[/snapback]

Perhaps he's a "supertaster"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/bod...pertaster.shtml

Picky Eaters of the world, Unite!!! :)

whenever we make him try a bite of something new.  We are trying to get him to eat what we eat for dinner, but ever since he threw up after eating some corn - he now works himself up to the point that 5 grains of rice makes him upchuck his entire dinner...  :unsure:

549547[/snapback]

How old is he now?

Suggestion: Go buy a bag of those colored plastic Easter Egg shells that you can put things in. Tell him every time he tries something new at dinner (and keeps it down) he can pick out one of the eggs as a reward. Stuff em with little rewards he might like. Pretty soon, he will be wanting to try new things. Works for potty training too...

How old is he now?

Suggestion: Go buy a bag of those colored plastic Easter Egg shells that you can put things in.  Tell him every time he tries something new at dinner (and keeps it down) he can pick out one of the eggs as a reward. Stuff em with little rewards he might like.  Pretty soon, he will be wanting to try new things.  Works for potty training too...

549581[/snapback]

He is 5 years old... :unsure: (time goes fast)

I hate to reward him for the simple things he should be doing now at this age. He is well into the manipulation phase and I don't want to trade one problem for another.

It was a little different for us, but our oldest fought us hard at bed time, working herself up so much that she threw up. Once she figured that out that this would keep her up, she forced herself to throw up each night. With nothing left to do I told her if she throws up she is going to clean it up herself. So while she was working herself up I went to the shed grabbed a bucket, filled it with soapy water and a old rag and set it by her and walked away....Well she must have given it some serious thought, the vomiting stopped, never happened again.

She was 4 or 5 years old.

He is 5 years old...  :)  (time goes fast)

I hate to reward him for the simple things he should be doing now at this age.  He is well into the manipulation phase and I don't want to trade one problem for another.

549588[/snapback]

My son was a very picky eater. What we ended up doing is feeding him several small "snack" meals a day; something he liked that was good for him, so he would get nutrition! We would try new foods on him or take something he liked and change it a little, to expand his "likes".

He sat with the family at meals, even if he was not hungry.

We NEVER bribed him.

He is now 6 feet tall, about 210 pounds and solid as a rock (you met him a couple of times at tailgates - late 90's). He likes all kinds of food now and really likes to cook gourmet foods.

It is a phase where you want to kill him, but it will pass. :unsure:

He is 5 years old...  :unsure:  (time goes fast)

I hate to reward him for the simple things he should be doing now at this age.  He is well into the manipulation phase and I don't want to trade one problem for another.

549588[/snapback]

Tell him if he is not a good little boy, then Santa won't be bringing the Bills a new Head Coach. It will all be his fault...

1) Don't let him know that it bothers you.

2) If he doesn't want to eat rice yet, don't make him. It's not worth the stress on everybody and it just creates an unecessary battle line for a minimal issue.

3) Minimize snacks during the day, then at suppertime make him a plate of what everybody else is having. If he doesn't want to eat it, no problem, you don't mind. He can skip dinner that night but he doesn't get anything else before bed. If you stick to your guns and he knows that he eats dinner or eats nothing, he'll start eating dinner. For the first week or two try to predominately have things he likes (tacos, spaghetti, burgers/fries, etc) so it doesn't turn into an issue. Then gradually work in the things he's not sure about yet. Once he's more accustomed to the ritual of having what you're having, and he's aware of exactly how hungry he'll be if he doesn't eat, I think you'll find him a lot more willing to try different things w/o even being prompted.

As for rice, good luck. My kids never eat more than a bite or two of it, no matter how its prepared or presented.

Cya

If the throwing up gig is becoming predictable or regular, you might want to back off for a while. Creating issues like that just because we want them to do something that's really not that important accomplishes nothing more than creating an issue where there doesn't need to be one, changing the focus of the attention (i.e. from the food to Andrew's hurling), and drawing lines in the sand that are going to take a while to erase.

If he's not starving or unhealthy, is it really that important that he eats exactly what y'all want him to eat?

It was a little different for us, but our oldest fought us hard at bed time, working herself up so much that she threw up.  Once she figured that out that this would keep her up, she forced herself to throw up each night.  With nothing left to do I told her if she throws up she is going to clean it up herself.  So while she was working herself up I went to the shed grabbed a bucket, filled it with soapy water and a old rag and set it by her and walked away....Well she must have given it some serious thought, the vomiting stopped, never happened again.

She was 4 or 5 years old.

549818[/snapback]

That'd be my solution if I were a parent. :unsure:

CW

549547[/snapback]

My 2.5 year old does the same thing and has been doing it for quite a while now. I don't really know what the answer is, but what I do is keep forcing him to eat stuff that he doesn't like and when he throws up I calmly take him upstairs, clean him off, and bring him back to finish the food that he doesn't like. We've taken him to numerous doctors that insist there isn't anything physically wrong with him, so I guess it's just a mental thing with him.

2) If he doesn't want to eat rice yet, don't make him. It's not worth the stress on everybody and it just creates an unecessary battle line for a minimal issue.

3) Minimize snacks during the day, then at suppertime make him a plate of what everybody else is having. If he doesn't want to eat it, no problem, you don't mind. He can skip dinner that night but he doesn't get anything else before bed. If you stick to your guns and he knows that he eats dinner or eats nothing, he'll start eating dinner. For the first week or two try to predominately have things he likes (tacos, spaghetti, burgers/fries, etc) so it doesn't turn into an issue. Then gradually work in the things he's not sure about yet. Once he's more accustomed to the ritual of having what you're having, and he's aware of exactly how hungry he'll be if he doesn't eat, I think you'll find him a lot more willing to try different things w/o even being prompted.

As for rice, good luck. My kids never eat more than a bite or two of it, no matter how its prepared or presented.

Cya

549848[/snapback]

Pretty close to what we have done, and it seems to work fine. We just make their plates(6 and 4 years old) with a little portion of everything we are having, and all of it must be eaten before seconds are given, and especially before desert.If they do not finish, no big deal, just no more food that evening

And we are like you Simon, if there is something we know the kids really do not like, we try not to have it to often. For example, they really like peas, corn, and carrots, but detest brocooli and cauliflower. So, we tend to have one of those three veggies. Dam, I remember hating green beans as a kid, and getting them forced on me, and I still do eat green beans as I remember gagging on them as the old man made me eat all of them on the plate.

Cya

If the throwing up gig is becoming predictable or regular, you might want to back off for a while. Creating issues like that just because we want them to do something that's really not that important accomplishes nothing more than creating an issue where there doesn't need to be one, changing the focus of the attention (i.e. from the food to Andrew's hurling), and drawing lines in the sand that are going to take a while to erase.

If he's not starving or unhealthy, is it really that important that he eats exactly what y'all want him to eat?

Having raised 5 kids and 2 picky eaters - I have to agree with Simon. this is excellent advice.

Some lessons learned at the dinner table will stay with him forever. Especially the negative ones like "eat everything on your plate". Now as an adult, I have to constantly battle with weight gain because of that habit.

Good luck.

My daughter eats virtually nothing but fruit at home. We can't get her to eat chicken or any other kind of meat, nor any vegetables. But we're just going to roll with it, I think. It could be worse. She could be hooked on junk food.

550246[/snapback]

Does she drink milk? What do you do for protein?