Aaron Schobel finished 5th in NFL in sacks

and ahead of Dwight Freeney, Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers and John Abraham. For those worried that he doesn't play the run very well, he also had 71 tackles. Taylor had 74, Freeney 34, Strahan 81, Peppers 50 and Abraham 58. They all played 16 games.

549388[/snapback]

Shhhhh Kelly! Keep the facts away from the Schobel sucks crowd!

and ahead of Dwight Freeney, Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers and John Abraham. For those worried that he doesn't play the run very well, he also had 71 tackles. Taylor had 74, Freeney 34, Strahan 81, Peppers 50 and Abraham 58. They all played 16 games.

549388[/snapback]

But Schobel's the only "high motor" DE you listed so he must suck! [/sARCASM]

But Schobel's the only "high motor" DE you listed so he must suck! [/sARCASM]

549390[/snapback]

He was, however, drafted by Tom Donohoe and coached by Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and Mike Mularkey, so he actually does suck. There is no arguing that he sucks and he sucks bad, because they have zero idea of how to draft or sign players, coach these players, and make halftime adjustments. So, truth be told, "Git 'er gone, Modrak!" Put this white guy to the curb!

549388[/snapback]

He is worth what we paid him--top tier DE money. He'd be even better if the middle of the DL had another large, stud tackle who occupied 2 guys on every play...

He was, however, drafted by Tom Donohoe and coached by Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and Mike Mularkey, so he actually does suck. There is no arguing that he sucks and he sucks bad, because they have zero idea of how to draft or sign players, coach these players, and make halftime adjustments. So, truth be told, "Git 'er gone, Modrak!" Put this white guy to the curb!

549406[/snapback]

Sounds like you'd keep TD, MM, and JG.

:unsure:

Sounds like you'd keep TD, MM, and JG.

:unsure:

549416[/snapback]

Actually, no. I wouldn't mind them all gone. The point is the lunacy of people here saying TD is an idiot, or doesn't know what he is doing, or cannot draft, or is totally incompetent, or doesn't care about the defensive line. And the same is true for Mularkey. They just made some mistakes they need to be accountable for. They made a lot of great decisions, too, and are quality football men. That doesn't mean they didn't fail or deserve to be fired. What I don't like is the black and white world people here seem to live in, you're either a genius or a total ass and bum. But of course, that changes on a yearly, monthly, weekly, daily or hourly basis.

Actually, no. I wouldn't mind them all gone. The point is the lunacy of people here saying TD is an idiot, or doesn't know what he is doing, or cannot draft, or is totally incompetent, or doesn't care about the defensive line. And the same is true for Mularkey. They just made some mistakes they need to be accountable for. They made a lot of great decisions, too, and are quality football men. That doesn't mean they didn't fail or deserve to be fired. What I don't like is the black and white world people here seem to live in, you're either a genius or a total ass and bum. But of course, that changes on a yearly, monthly, weekly, daily or hourly basis.

549424[/snapback]

That's fair. The people that ripped TD for extending Schobel are obviously wrong. With help, A.S. would be even MORE of a beast. And he'll get that help (hopefully) this offseason.

That's fair. The people that ripped TD for extending Schobel are obviously wrong. With help, A.S. would be even MORE of a beast. And he'll get that help (hopefully) this offseason.

But will they still be wrong if he only racks up 4 sacks next year?

The numbers look good, but I only remember one game where I thought Schobel showed up in critical situations. I could be way off base on this one because I watched this season with such a cynical, critical eye. Either way, Shobel is definitely maturing as a DE and I was a harsh critic of him last year. I hope he continues to improve to justify that contract, especially if we but some quality DTs on the line.

RTB

549388[/snapback]

Ask ANY of those teams for a straight up trade for Schobel. Heck---lets just trade Schobel for Peppers plus Carolina's second;)...since schobel had more sacks AND more tackles.

Ask ANY of those teams for a straight up trade for Schobel. Heck---lets just trade Schobel for Peppers plus Carolina's second;)...since schobel had more sacks AND more tackles.

549471[/snapback]

I wouldn't trade Schobel for Abraham (injury concerns and not as as complete as Aaron) or Strahan (age). The whole idea of the post as many times people b!tch at how bad he is, he truly is one of the better DEs in the league.

Schobel is overrated as far as I'm concerned and most of his sacks over the last 3 years have been against one or two teams.  He dissapears the rest of the season.

549480[/snapback]

absolutely...Schobel is absent and puts no pressure on for the majority of plays. I would rate him as perhaps barely above average due to his motor.

But will they still be wrong if he only racks up 4 sacks next year?

549445[/snapback]

That's a great line of thinking: "will they be wrong if an outlandish hypothetical happens next year?" I prefer to judge the extension based on what has actually occurred not some fantasy.

549471[/snapback]

Where has anyone said that Aaron Schobel was better than any of these players? It's a reasonable thing to post some actual facts and statistics about a player to say he is in good company, is it not? Or should we heretofore not compare any player on the Bills to any player on another team unless that team is willing to trade straight up for him?

Schobel is overrated as far as I'm concerned and most of his sacks over the last 3 years have been against one or two teams.  He dissapears the rest of the season.

549480[/snapback]

Yeah, plus most of his sacks come against all-pros. How sucky is that? Plus his 71 tackles all come 2 to 3 yards downfield. What's up with that? :unsure: