2006 thoughts

The_Real

We got problems. Here is some random thoughts. Feel free to respond, add or disagree.

First, the draft. Let's face it guys, the offensive line is as big a gamble in the first round as a qb. Forget Offensive linemen right now and let the new gm find adequate replacements via free agency. One of the knocks on Tom Donahoe is he's never done anything to vastly improve the line on either side of the ball. Hopefully the new GM reads his que cards and doesn't make those same mistakes.

Mike Williams has been the biggest disappointment since Erik Flowers. I steam everytime I think about umpteen million dollars going to the largest waste of talent in Bills history. All of the selections to make in that draft and we get the big bust. Hence, my opinion on drafting any OL in the first round. In todays NFL, you have to play rookies. Having a liability on the offensive line is the last thing J.P needs to worry about. I'd rather the Bills went in a different direction.I hope that the Bills spend their first pick this year on the defense. Their first pick should be the best defensive tackle available. If things work out right Ngata will not go until mid 1st round and we can trade down for the pick. If things don't work out with him I think Orien Harris from Miami will fit the position as well if Ngata is picked.

In the second round take the best player available to fill your needs. Either a DL, OT, DB, or WR. If we do trade down and pick up a second 2nd rounder that should give us 4 draft choices in rounds 2 and 3. Maybe take one of each of those positions aforementioned. Via Free agency You need to get two premier offensive lineman. McGahee and Losman could be a great tandem but you'll never know with out adequate protection. Address the Offensive line and you will see big changes.

If you decide to cut Eric Moulds, you must replace him with a very strong WR. I see the argument both ways to keep him and to let him go. 11 million against the cap this year is just insane. However he's the longest tenured Buffalo Bill and has stayed here his whole career. Either side of the coin, he is the best wr on the roster. If he goes, you need a fitting replacement. I'd kill to take a shot at Reggie Wayne this year. He and Lee Evans with Roscoe in the slot is hella fast.

One more thing. Mularkey isn't the right choice for this organization. We need a leader. Someone who is vocal and steps up to the plate to lead his team. Takes criticism for losses and never redirects it at his players. No more of these DC or OC who we are giving a chance to. We need an established leader. Fossil, JJ, Ditka, Levy or whoever. Just make hims a good leader with strong character and a backbone.

thoughts....

T_R

The Bills need to find a run-stuffing DT in FA. That is ONE single move they can make to improve themselves immensely on defense. Getting Spike back will be important, and there's a chance to improve by replacing Posey. As for DB's, Clements is franchised and either stays or gets traded for a 1st, which the Bills use on a draft pick.

On offense they do whatever it takes to get a good O-line. They have some pieces in place it seems with Peters (at LT), Gandy (at LG) and Preston (at OC or RG). If Moulds takes a paycut and stays, great. If not, the $5.5M goes towards getting a Wayne or Givens to replace him.

They have a ton of cap room, good draft picks and an extra draft pick or 3 (depending on comps), and hopefully a decent GM is coming.

I have 500 posts and you have 4800. 

????

T_R

548959[/snapback]

No, I probably have about 12,000. Changed my handle. The old post count thing.

OK, you win. I'm wrong. My bad, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. You had an opinion. This is a football board, you should be respected as fact.

I have 500 posts and you have 4800. 

????

T_R

548959[/snapback]

and he joined a year later than you!

regardless, we have many issues. maybe a good, strong leader could correct some of our deficiencies on both sides of the ball.

i'd have to agree that choosing an offensive lineman in the top 10 could be risky. i still look at robert gallory of the raiders and wonder if he's made a difference. i dont watch enough raiders games to know. i noticed he sat out yesterdays game for whatever reason and they kept showing him on the sideline with that stupid long hair and beard. im in favor of bulking up that defensive line with our first pick. since sam adams looks like a lock to be gone, we desperately need a big man who can make a difference.

No, I probably have about 12,000. Changed my handle.  The old post count thing.

OK, you win. I'm wrong. My bad, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. You had an opinion. This is a football board, you should be respected as fact.

548971[/snapback]

See told you, noone listens to you. :blink:

Crowell is not going to be the only FA to be re-signed. All that cap room will dry up quicker than you think.

The Bills are $9M under the 2006 cap with no significant UFA's, save for Clements who will be franchised and cost about $5.5M against the cap. Then the Bills can save a load more releasing some veterans. Shouldn't be a major problem.

The Bills are $9M under the 2006 cap with no significant UFA's, save for Clements who will be franchised and cost about $5.5M against the cap.  Then the Bills can save a load more releasing some veterans.  Shouldn't be a major problem.

549262[/snapback]

Releasing some veterans is the key.

Clump's Latest (before Crowell signing)

I presently have the Bills $11,145,772 under an estimated salary cap of $93,500,000 (the average of $92-95 million recently reported by John Clayton) with $137,984 "dead cap".

NOTE: 2006 info is very preliminary. If y'all remember last year when the reports said $12-15 million but the Bills were actually OVER due to escalators and various bonuses. What's missing:

1) Aforementioned bonus info for Shelton, Neufeld, Burns, and Wire

2) Possible salary escalators for DE Chris Kelsay and QB J. P. Losman

3) Cap adjusment

4) Tenders to RFA & EFA

5) Roster bonus for TE Everett (when you calculate the rookie pool, it's likely that Everett took less signing bonus than market value and he will get it back as a roster or option bonus in 2006)

6) Any unknown bonuses

I'll safely estimate the Bills will start the off-season (without any signings/releases/tenders/etc) about $5-7 million under if the cap ends up close to the estimated $93,500,000

Not in trouble... but also in no position to do any major FA improvements either without freeing up more $$$....not a "ton of cap room". :unsure:

They have a ton of cap room, good draft picks and an extra draft pick or 3 (depending on comps), and hopefully a decent GM is coming.

548963[/snapback]

Yeah, and you don't use all of it in one year- you pick and choose your spots