The Case Against Mularkey Revisited

JDG

If you are a FB who can't run the football - get out.  If you are a WR who can't catch a pass - get out.  If you are aTE who can't catch a pass - get out.

549433[/snapback]

That would leave the Bills with a 22 player roster.

I think his team gave up on him, they didn't respect him. McGahee was "Tired"? Moulds had a phantom Injury and was suspended? Sitting players for no apparent reason?

I think he gave up on his team. After shocking the NFL by beating a good Cincinati team, on the road no less... they can't manage a win vs the hapless Jets? I don't care about draft order - you need a friggin' GM who can pick to make that matter, and clearly we don't have one of those... But I digress.

I think he is hindering the program, rather than helping it. Perhaps Losman is not the answer at QB... but it is far better to learn that sooner rather than later - and when Holcomb wasn't getting it done vs the Jets in the last game of the season - he is left to languish on the bench, despite asking to play. Sure, you shouldn't bow to every players desires... but he is the heir apparent QB, we invested our 1st round pick in him. You HAVE to determine if he's worth the future now, rather than having him wither on the bench vine. He will be in his 3rd year next year, and we still don't know what we have... because he's spent much of his time on the bench due to his inexperienced inconsistency on the field (normal for young QB's). He wasn't Todd Collins for pete's sake.

His job is to guide the team to winning games, and he has not effectively been able to do it, and the flaws I see aren't due to massive amounts of injuries. He can't even figure out who his starting personnel is.

And that, is why I think MM has to go imnsho.

I think his team gave up on him, they didn't respect him.  McGahee was "Tired"?  Moulds had a phantom Injury and was suspended?  Sitting players for no apparent reason?

I think he gave up on his team.  After shocking the NFL by beating a good Cincinati team, on the road no less...  they can't manage a win vs the hapless Jets?  I don't care about draft order - you need a friggin' GM who can pick to make that matter, and clearly we don't have one of those...  But I digress.

I think he is hindering the program, rather than helping it.  Perhaps Losman is not the answer at QB...  but it is far better to learn that sooner rather than later - and when Holcomb wasn't getting it done vs the Jets in the last game of the season - he is left to languish on the bench, despite asking to play.  Sure, you shouldn't bow to every players desires...  but he is the heir apparent QB, we invested our 1st round pick in him.  You HAVE to determine if he's worth the future now, rather than having him wither on the bench vine.  He will be in his 3rd year next year, and we still don't know what we have...  because he's spent much of his time on the bench due to his inexperienced inconsistency on the field (normal for young QB's).  He wasn't Todd Collins for pete's sake.

His job is to guide the team to winning games, and he has not effectively been able to do it, and the flaws I see aren't due to massive amounts of injuries.  He can't even figure out who his starting personnel is.

And that, is why I think MM has to go imnsho.

550344[/snapback]

Interesting tidbit

The second-most predictable action this season was Buffalo play faking then throwing to blocking back Daimon Shelton in the flat on short-yardage downs. Shelton is a hard working blocker, but possibly the slowest person ever to line up in an NFL backfield. (William "The Refrigerator" Perry was actually surprisingly quick for his size.) In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going. Sunday, the Bills facing third-and-goal at the Jets 4, Buffalo play faked and threw into the flat for Shelton, who was immediately stopped for a 1-yard gain, the Bills settling for a field goal in a game they would ultimately lose by four points. So many Jersey/B defenders were around Shelton on this play it was as if there had been a bright flashing arrow pointing to him at the snap. Though the early call to Shelton meant the predictable play had backfired four times in a row, later in the game Mike Mularkey called it again! Interception returned for a touchdown..

Another reason MM should be fired.

Interesting tidbit

The second-most predictable action this season was Buffalo play faking then throwing to blocking back Daimon Shelton in the flat on short-yardage downs. Shelton is a hard working blocker, but possibly the slowest person ever to line up in an NFL backfield. (William "The Refrigerator" Perry was actually surprisingly quick for his size.) In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going. Sunday, the Bills facing third-and-goal at the Jets 4, Buffalo play faked and threw into the flat for Shelton, who was immediately stopped for a 1-yard gain, the Bills settling for a field goal in a game they would ultimately lose by four points. So many Jersey/B defenders were around Shelton on this play it was as if there had been a bright flashing arrow pointing to him at the snap. Though the early call to Shelton meant the predictable play had backfired four times in a row, later in the game Mike Mularkey called it again! Interception returned for a touchdown..

550379[/snapback]

Here, here!

Interesting tidbit

550379[/snapback]

What a surprise, another error from TMQ!

"In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going."

Uhhh... except that the play worked for a TD in the first half against San Diego to make the score 28-10. (i.e. still a ballgame.)

Easterbrook really, really, needs to employ a fact-checker.

JDG - who didn't need a cite or a link to recognize the arrogant writing style.....

What a surprise, another error from TMQ!

"In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going."

Uhhh... except that the play worked for a TD in the first half against San Diego to make the score 28-10.  (i.e. still a ballgame.)

Easterbrook really, really, needs to employ a fact-checker.

JDG - who didn't need a cite or a link to recognize the arrogant writing style.....

550407[/snapback]

i wonder if easterbrook would say the same about butch rolle. but of course he caught touchdowns, so it must have been a good call, right?

The hand-wringing that goes on when Shelton or Parrish get action is simply misplaced.  The simple fact that ONLY WM can run the ball on 4th and 1, Eric Moulds is the ONLY WR that can catch a ball on 4th and 8 just speaks to how bad the Buffalo Bills are.

549496[/snapback]

Shelton should never get a pass other than if he's a checkdown. He's useless. If he's on the roster or not, he's zero of a threat. Week in a week out he was thrown one customary pass for about a total of one centimeter.

You reference teams like Denver and Indy!!! Newsflash!!! We don't have the talent or near the coaching as those teams do. Denver and Indy don't use players just for the sake of using them. They use them because they fit into the overall system. There is no system here.

I disagree 100% with this part.  If you are a member of this team - then you contribute.  If you are a FB who can't run the football - get out.  If you are a WR who can't catch a pass - get out.  If you are aTE who can't catch a pass - get out.

Reducing the number of players involved in the game does not make the team better.  Washington, Denver, Indy all have scores of players - down to OL and Defensive players who contribute to the offensive point production.  That is a nightmare for DC's knowing that even the LT can catch a TD pass in the red zone.

If they can't get it done - move 'em out.

549433[/snapback]

You can disagree if you want, but I still think it's poor strategy to remove good players from the field consistently at times when it really counts. I'd rather rely on WM to get me the first down when it's 3rd down than Shaud Williams. Doesn't mean Shaud can't come in and spell WM on occasion (like Kenny Davis did for Thurman). But I don't recall Levy putting Kenny D in on 3rd down on just about every 3rd down play regardless. I loved Kenny D, but I would rather have seen Thurman in when it counted than Kenny.

You can disagree if you want, but I still think it's poor strategy to remove good players from the field consistently at times when it really counts. I'd rather rely on WM to get me the first down when it's 3rd down than Shaud Williams. Doesn't mean Shaud can't come in and spell WM on occasion (like Kenny Davis did for Thurman). But I don't recall Levy putting Kenny D in on 3rd down on just about every 3rd down play regardless. I loved Kenny D, but I would rather have seen Thurman in when it counted than Kenny.

550695[/snapback]

we are not talking the same things. I definitely do not advocate removing your top players from the field. MM's packages are bull sh--.

However, the 11 players that take the field on any given play should be available to perform their responsibilities. That is what makes a dangerous offense - having 5 skill players that can do anything asked of them at any time AND have a RT that will catch a TD to boot... Teams that are effective in the red zone don't have one RB and one WR that get the ball because "this time it is important". It's predictable and defendable.

we are not talking the same things.  I definitely do not advocate removing your top players from the field.  MM's packages are bull sh--.

However, the 11 players that take the field on any given play should be available to perform their responsibilities. That is what makes a dangerous offense - having 5 skill players that can do anything asked of them at any time AND have a RT that will catch a TD to boot...  Teams that are effective in the red zone don't have one RB and one WR that get the ball because "this time it is important".  It's predictable and defendable.

550764[/snapback]

Well, we probably mean the same thing. I certainly don't advocate putting players out on the field who haven't shown that they can get the job done. I agree that whoever is out on the field should be capable of doing their job. Which is why I can't understand this offense.