Want Power football?

jahbonas

TD & Mularkey always talked power running game...yet they draft a finesse TE like Euhlus and when they had an opportunity to have an Eric Green Clone in Peters....a top great blocking TE with huge size that could also get down the seam....they instead try switching him to be an average RT.

Drafting a LT and moving Gandy to RT and placing Peters at TE would help this team's blocking and power statement,

Peters could be a GREAT TE creating mismatches...at best he becomes an average RT

I think it's a sad commentary on the state of talent in the OLine when a phenomen like Peters has to be played out of position as LT/RT because the incumbents are so inept. We can only hope that Peters' career won't be ruined here by him being mis-used as a Lineman. He's got the tools to become truly something special as an NFL Tight End. I don't know how he feels about how he's been used, but I could see him refusing to re-sign with The Bills if they won't use him as a TE.

JMHO

I think it's a sad commentary on the state of talent in the OLine when a phenomen like Peters has to be played out of position as LT/RT because the incumbents are so inept. We can only hope that Peters' career won't be ruined here by him being mis-used as a Lineman. He's got the tools to become truly something special as an NFL Tight End. I don't know how he feels about how he's been used, but I could see him refusing to re-sign with The Bills if they won't use him as a TE.

JMHO

546646[/snapback]

he's a good tackle -- why mess with a good thing?

and judging by his comments in a buffalo news article last week, he's quite happy to be playing anywhere........to paraphrase "i'll play anywhere they want to put me.......i just want to help the team win"

JMHO

Peters doens't have the speed to play TE. And he could STILL be used as a TE by making him tackle-eligible on every play.

Peters doens't have the speed to play TE.  And he could STILL be used as a TE by making him tackle-eligible on every play.

546649[/snapback]

Peters would beat Campbell in a 50 yard sprint...its his unusual speed that allows him to play special teams. There;s a reason why he;s is the only guy over 260lbs covers kicks in the league....

Peters would beat Campbell in a 50 yard sprint...its his unusual speed that allows him to play special teams. There;s a reason why he;s is the only guy over 260lbs covers kicks in the league....

546674[/snapback]

Newsflash: Running downfield on kickoffs is alot different than running pass patterns at tight end. Peters wouldn't last a month running 25 patterns a game. Big guys can't stress their joints over and over like that.

Mark Pike was 272# and used to play ST's for the Bills. He had probably the same speed as Peters, but was over 40# lighter. For his size, Peters has rare speed.

Newsflash:  Running downfield on kickoffs is alot different than running pass patterns at tight end.  Peters wouldn't last a month running 25 patterns a game.  Big guys can't stress their joints over and over like that.

546679[/snapback]

Newsflash I was replying to the comment that Peters does not have the speed to play TE...he current;y has better speed than starter Campbell....

Do TE's run 25 patterns a game? Many teams keep TE's in on some passing plays...also Pittsburgh throws the ball 19/game...thats a power running scheme...

thirdly he played his entire college career playing TE but suddenly could not physically run TE routes without being winded....

I think it's a sad commentary on the state of talent in the OLine when a phenomen like Peters has to be played out of position as LT/RT because the incumbents are so inept.

546646[/snapback]

Alternately, I think it's a solid commentary on the state of the coaching staff to recognize their weaknesses, stray from the usual formula and be creative to at least TRY to correct the error.

I'm not saying everything is good. I'm just saying if you're looking for a reason to be critical of the coaching staff, their use of Peters on the OL is not a good place to look.

Alternately, I think it's a solid commentary on the state of the coaching staff to recognize their weaknesses, stray from the usual formula and be creative to at least TRY to correct the error.

I'm not saying everything is good. I'm just saying if you're looking for a reason to be critical of the coaching staff, their use of Peters on the OL is not a good place to look.

546693[/snapback]

Where the staff is a joke is the following...they claim to wish to play POWER football...they have a 300lb top blocking TE fall in their lap and they decide to waste that unusual situation (which would be perfect for power football) and try him at OT....

By the way,,,,Bills offense went GAMES without any throws to our TE's.,,,,so why not put a top blocking TE on the field for a tam that was begging for blocking ???

Newsflash I was replying to the comment that Peters does not have the speed to play TE...he current;y has better speed than starter Campbell....

Do TE's run 25 patterns a game? Many teams keep TE's in on some passing plays...also Pittsburgh throws the ball 19/game...thats a power running scheme...

thirdly he played his entire college career playing TE but suddenly could not physically run TE routes without being winded....

546688[/snapback]

His college career was at Arkansas. Not exactly a passing juggernaut. He caught a grand total of 28 passes in his entire career.

It has nothing to do with his wind. It has to do with making sharp cuts over and over again. It also has to do with his ability to gain seperation at the NFL level, something he hasn't been able to show when given the opportunity.

His college career was at Arkansas.  Not exactly a passing juggernaut.  He caught a grand total of 28 passes in his entire career.

It has nothing to do with his wind.  It has to do with making sharp cuts over and over again.  It also has to do with his ability to gain seperation at the NFL level, something he hasn't been able to show when given the opportunity.

546704[/snapback]

And what is this based upon (his inability to get separation)??? Also,,Mark Campbell and our other TE's are showing great separation??

I was at the first minicamp Peters was at and saw his speed split the seam ...it was amazing to see for suh a big man.

Peters would give us the same receiving stats Campbell does,,,but would also provide us with a far better blocker on the field that would help a weak offensive line.

Villarial Mike Williams & Peters had top potential for a power running game scheme...

And what is this based upon (his inability to get separation)???  Also,,Mark Campbell and our other TE's are showing great separation??

I was at the first minicamp Peters was at and saw his speed split the seam ...it was amazing to see for suh a big man.

Peters would give us the same receiving stats Campbell does,,,but would also provide us with a far better blocker on the field that would help a weak offensive line.

Villarial Mike Williams & Peters had top potential for a power running game scheme...

546712[/snapback]

dont know if Peters is the answer, but Mark Campbell can go anytime as far as i'm concerned

Question - how many right tackles are there at 300+ pounds and athletic? Answer - a whole bunch - in college and pros. Question how many tight ends are there at 300+ ; who can block like an O lineman but are fast enough to beat an LB long down the seam - answer one - Peters. This is how losing franchises compound their mistakes - draft a bust like Mike Williams then fill the hole he creates by turning a unique tight end prospect into a average RT.

TD & Mularkey always talked power running game...yet they draft a finesse TE like Euhlus and when they had an opportunity to have an Eric Green Clone in Peters....a top great blocking TE with huge size that could also get down the seam....they instead try switching him to be an average RT.

Drafting a LT and moving Gandy to RT and placing Peters at TE would help this team's blocking and power statement,

Peters could be a GREAT TE creating mismatches...at best he becomes an average RT

546623[/snapback]

We had this discussion the other day. A 4.8-4.9 40 yard dash is not fast for a TE. We need a quality young tackle more than a big TE with marginal speed and ball skills. Peters would be more like Erin Kinney than Ben Troupe, and that would be a waste because Peters has All Pro LT ability.

I'm a huge proponent of the TE. We NEED one and Kevin Everett ain't the guy, IMO. But we need a guy like Shockey, Gates, Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Randy McMichael or Troupe. A big target who can adjust to the ball in the air and outrun the SS when he gets the ball.

We had this discussion the other day.  A 4.8-4.9 40 yard dash is not fast for a TE.  We need a quality young tackle more than a big TE with marginal speed and ball skills.  Peters would be more like Erin Kinney than Ben Troupe, and that would be a waste because Peters has All Pro LT ability. 

I'm a huge proponent of the TE.  We NEED one and Kevin Everett ain't the guy, IMO.  But we need a guy like Shockey, Gates, Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Randy McMichael or Troupe.  A big target who can adjust to the ball in the air and outrun the SS when he gets the ball.

546727[/snapback]

Think of the implications of your post if you will. If in fact Peters does have All Pro LT ability (which btw I am not doubting), how bad is Fatso for the Bills to have JP lining up at RT?

Also, for you to be a Cane fan and not like Everett is simply not a good omen, and he is now seriously injured to boot. Toss "Little Boy Blue" Parrish into the mix and what we have is a disasterous draft. What in the world was TD thinking on Draft Day 05?

Nevermind...he was thinking of drafting "skill players" in order to sell tickets. :)

We had this discussion the other day.  A 4.8-4.9 40 yard dash is not fast for a TE.  We need a quality young tackle more than a big TE with marginal speed and ball skills.  Peters would be more like Erin Kinney than Ben Troupe, and that would be a waste because Peters has All Pro LT ability. 

I'm a huge proponent of the TE.  We NEED one and Kevin Everett ain't the guy, IMO.  But we need a guy like Shockey, Gates, Gonzalez, Ben Watson, Randy McMichael or Troupe.  A big target who can adjust to the ball in the air and outrun the SS when he gets the ball.

546727[/snapback]

If Peters has ALL Pro LT ability why isn't he playing there now? Let's be honest Peters has proven to be a capable starting RT to this point. Though I can't help but notice the struggles McGahee has had since BIG Mike has left the starting lineup.

Also, I think it's unfair to criticise Everett who has yet to play one NFL down to date. Will he be among those you listed? Right now if had to bet would say no but let's see what he has to offer before we toss him aside as being a nothing.

Question - how many right tackles are there at 300+ pounds and athletic? Answer - a whole bunch - in college and pros. Question how many tight ends are there at 300+ ; who can block like an O lineman but are fast enough to beat an LB long down the seam - answer one - Peters.  This is how losing franchises compound their mistakes - draft a bust like Mike Williams then fill the hole he creates by turning a unique tight end prospect into a average RT.

546720[/snapback]

There aren't many athletic 300# lineman anywhere. Most are big, sluggish guys who get by on technique. On the other hand, there are quite a few big athletic guys who came into the league who were supposed to be mismatches at TE, and turned out to be little more than big blockers. I remember when Jimmy Kleinsasser, Jason Dunn and Kyle Brady came into the league as super-sized TE's who were supposed to be mismatches because they could run with LB's at 275 pounds. Those guys were a lot more polished than Peters. Dunn should have stayed at DE. Remember when Marcellus Wiley came into the league as a DE/RB? Did he do the right thing? I'm going to say it now, when in doubt, move them inside. Less injuries, longer careers.

As Darin said, huge guys like that tend to get beat up running around like a WR, and end up as big plodding blockers. That's what happened to the great Eric Green. Ever hear him mentioned with Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome?

There aren't many athletic 300# lineman anywhere.  Most are big, sluggish guys who get by on technique.  On the other hand, there are quite a few big athletic guys who came into the league who were supposed to be mismatches at TE, and turned out to be little more than big blockers.  I remember when Jimmy Kleinsasser, Jason Dunn and Kyle Brady came into the league as super-sized TE's who were supposed to be mismatches because they could run with LB's at 275 pounds.  Those guys were a lot more polished than Peters.  Dunn should have stayed at DE.  Remember when Marcellus Wiley came into the league as a DE/RB?  Did he do the right thing?  I'm going to say it now, when in doubt, move them inside.  Less injuries, longer careers.

As Darin said, huge guys like that tend to get beat up running around like a WR, and end up as big plodding blockers.  That's what happened to the great Eric Green.  Ever hear him mentioned with Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome?

546742[/snapback]

Kellen Winslow played on pass happy Sandiego....Eric Green was a great TE for the power running steelers who wanted a blocker. The post reads IF YOU WANT POWER RUNNING,,,,then move Peters to TE as great blocking TE (something Kyle Brady and other 270lbers were not) with some receiving ability (as good as our current TE group)