felser's column today

That was a pretty good article. My only question from the article would be what Felser thinks we should do about shoring up the o-line. He never really answered that other than to say that we shouldn't sign anymore cast-offs. (?)

546612[/snapback]

if marv can come back he just brings Devlin Richter Hull Parker and Ballard with him

Marv couldn't win the big one with the best talent in the league.  And I doubt the Bills will ever be in that situation again.  Or at least the odds are very much against that.

546618[/snapback]

And just how is his Head Coaching record relevant to him taking the GM job - which is what's under discussion here?

felser is a longtime confidant of wilson, and he did mention the possibility of marv. given that it's felser, i take it pretty seriously. thoughts?

546587[/snapback]

I generally don't agree with Felser as feel he's lost touch but today's column did make a few good points. Although I have to take issue of Greg Gabriel, while he sounds like a good candidate the truth is the Bears drafting the last 5 years has been far from great. This all in spite their great record this season. I'm especially worrisome of their 1st Round selections.

Here's a list of the last five Bears' Draft under Gabriel:

2005 1 1 4 4 Cedric Benson RB Texas

2 2 7 39 Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma

3 4 5 106 Kyle Orton QB Purdue

4 5 4 140 Airese Currie WR Clemson

5 6 7 181 Chris Harris DB Louisiana-Monroe

6 7 6 220 Rodriques Wilson DB South Carolina

2004 1 1 14 14 Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma

2 2 15 47 Terry Johnson DT Washington

3 3 15 78 Bernard Berrian WR Fresno State

4 4 14 110 Nathan Vasher DB Texas

5 4 16 112 Leon Joe LB Maryland

6 5 15 147 Claude Harriott DE Pittsburgh

7 5 16 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State

8 7 14 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Miami (FL)

2003 1 1 14 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State

2 1 22 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida

3 2 3 35 Charles Tillman DB Louisiana-Lafayette

4 3 4 68 Lance Briggs LB Arizona

5 4 3 100 Todd Johnson DB Florida

6 4 19 116 Ian Scott DT Florida

7 5 4 139 Bobby Wade WR Arizona

8 5 8 143 Justin Gage WR Missouri

9 5 36 171 Tron Lafavor DT Florida

10 6 18 191 Joe Odom LB Purdue

11 6 33 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State

12 7 47 261 Bryan Anderson G Pittsburgh

2002 1 1 29 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College

2 3 7 72 Roosevelt Williams DB Tuskegee

3 3 28 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi

4 4 6 104 Alex Brown DE Florida

5 5 5 140 Bobby Gray DB Louisiana Tech

6 5 30 165 Bryan Knight LB Pittsburgh

7 6 27 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern

8 6 31 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware

9 6 38 210 Bryan Fletcher TE UCLA

2001 1 1 8 8 David Terrell WR Michigan

2 2 7 38 Anthony Thomas RB Michigan

3 3 6 68 Mike Gandy G Notre Dame

4 4 8 103 Karon Riley DE Minnesota

5 5 7 138 Bernard Robertson T Tulane

6 7 8 208 John Capel WR Florida

And just how is his Head Coaching record relevant to him taking the GM job - which is what's under discussion here?

546626[/snapback]

I didn't read the article, so I assumed it was the HC job. So I stand corrected.

In a way I am actually shocked he would be considered for GM. Only in that he has no GM experience.

I didn't read the article, so I assumed it was the HC job.  So I stand corrected.

In a way I am actually shocked he would be considered for GM.  Only in that he has no GM experience.

546653[/snapback]

Actually Felser pointed out that Marv had GM experience with Montreal in the CFL prior to coming here. Infact as recall from Marv's book he tried to sign Ray Bentley up their but Bentley choose the Bills and ironically enough Levy followed him here. While I wouldn't dismiss Marv as a GM but look for someone younger and more intine with today's NFL; if he does get the job I would hope we bring in a cap expert to work with him. As that's one thing he doesn't have experience with.

I didn't read the article, so I assumed it was the HC job.  So I stand corrected.

In a way I am actually shocked he would be considered for GM.  Only in that he has no GM experience.

546653[/snapback]

Just like the Head Coaches that the current GM has hired in his career - none of them had any HC experience. ;)

Ralph might need to bring Marv in - if only to conduct damage control at the podium, because you know we're going to be in for a real treat when DonnaHo gets up to address the fans and media of Western NY for the last time! :)

yep, 100%- i stand by what i said. if one to take felser really seriously, one would interpret the article to read that mularkey will be the coach next year.

546676[/snapback]

Only Ralph knows for sure. We're all guessing, despite all the baseless gossip.

Another side note that Felser goofed was that Modrak came to Buffalo at the beginning of the 2001 season and was part of the team that picked Mike Williams.

546691[/snapback]

Good point..... but there is no way that Mularkey can be safe if Donahoe is not safe. The new GM HAS to have at least *some* say in whether or not to retain Mularkey. If Donahoe goes, at the very least, Mularkey is not *safe*.

JDG

because you know we're going to be in for a real treat when DonnaHo gets up to address the fans and media of Western NY for the last time!  :)

546663[/snapback]

Totally disagree. TD will be the classiest guy in town that day. He'll be thanking everyone and laying the groundwork for his next NFL job...

he came after the 01 draft occurred, though.

546713[/snapback]

I thought Felser's point that Modrak has never lived in Buffalo during any part of his tenure with the Bills was interesting. Sounds like a part-time (half assed?) job to me.

As Marv used to say, the moment you think about retiring.....

Marv couldn't win the big one with the best talent in the league.  And I doubt the Bills will ever be in that situation again.  Or at least the odds are very much against that.

546618[/snapback]

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that he took merely good talent and helped them look great. Do you really think Bebe would have made any other roster in the league? Or that Tasker would have had the same career on another team? Or that Talley would have started at LB for a decade elsewhere?

Buffalo regularly lost more starters than it gained year after year at the beginning of the Plan B era. Our best pickups - Conlan and the Packer guy - didn't have much longevity. Among the other pickups that played key roles - Kenneth Davis and James Lofton - I don't think they were still considered top talent when we grabbed them. We just figured out a way to make everybody productive.

Among our stars it's even harder to judge. I'm a huge Kelly fan, but he was just one of about 8 superstar qb's. Reed is also hard to judge - he didn't do much after leaving Buffalo, whereas many older wr's do. How much was due to Kelly? And was Thomas really anything more than an average top 15 back? To me his real contribution was solid consistency and longevity. As for Bruce Smith, he was top 2 for many years, but his decline towards the end cannot be denied.

I would argue that perhaps the teams collective success made the players look more talented individually than they actually were.