"Jesus Is Magic"

Buftex

Just saw the film "Jesus Is Magic" for the second time in a month. It is a stand-up comedy film, starring Sarah Silverman (my avatar!)mixed with some conceptual music stuff. It is probably the hardest I have laughed in years. The music stuff is only so-so, but this woman is proof positive that Jerry Lewis didn't know what the fug he was talking about when he said that "women are not funny". Silverman has the best comic delivery of anyone around right now. Be warned, if you are easily offended, it might not be your cup of tea! Knowing some of you here though, you'll be asking for a second cup!

Just saw the film "Jesus Is Magic" for the second time in a month.  It is a stand-up comedy film, starring Sarah Silverman (my avatar!)mixed with some conceptual music stuff.  It is probably the hardest I have laughed in years.  The music stuff is only so-so, but this woman is proof positive that Jerry Lewis didn't know what the fug he was talking about when he said that "women are not funny".  Silverman has the best comic delivery of anyone around right now.  Be warned, if you are easily offended, it might not be your cup of tea!  Knowing some of you here though, you'll be asking for a second cup!

543679[/snapback]

Sarah is great. If you like Sarah, you should check out the movie "The Aristocrats": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3L2N...&s=dvd&v=glance

Sarah is in it, along with every comic you have ever heard of...

Sarah is great. If you like Sarah, you should check out the movie "The Aristocrats": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3L2N...&s=dvd&v=glance

Sarah is in it, along with every comic you have ever heard of...

544119[/snapback]

You should let people know what 'The Aristocrats' is about.

Here is a 'The Aristocrats' website with many of the "jokes"

Here is one of the "jokes"...

Apparently though, this "joke" and it's many different variations (almost all of them similarly filthy) is hiliarious to some people... :lol:

The swear word filter will probably be working overtime and I put the "joke" in yellow lest anyone be offended. The mods will probably delete this post and they probably should. Apparently though, this "joke" and it's many different variations (almost all of them similarly filthy) is hiliarious to some people... :lol:

544167[/snapback]

Humor is subjective, thank the gods. I don't see that as too funny. To me, excessive cursing is the sign of a poorly-written comedy act.

And given recent comedy acts, as you can guess, I don't watch much comedy any more.

I loved Bill Cosby's standup act.

Humor is subjective, thank the gods. I don't see that as too funny. To me, excessive cursing is the sign of a poorly-written comedy act.

And given recent comedy acts, as you can guess, I don't watch much comedy any more.

I loved Bill Cosby's standup act.

544255[/snapback]

To be fair, I've read telling 'The Aristocrats' "joke" is in the delivery but I still fail to see how a good many of those "jokes" could be funny. Trying to get laughs by being shocking or outragous just seem to get sad very quickly.

I've got about 4 or 5 of Bill Cosby's old comedy albums- 'Why Is There Air' and 'I Started Out As A Child' are two of them. FUNNY, funny stuff. Weird thing though, he doesn't curse or tell jokes about incest. He must be considered passé among the comedians of today...

I've got about 4 or 5 of Bill Cosby's old comedy albums- 'Why Is There Air' and 'I Started Out As A Child' are two of them. FUNNY, funny stuff. Weird thing though, he doesn't curse or tell jokes about incest. He must be considered passé among the comedians of today...

544264[/snapback]

Are they vinyl or CD?

And you're absolutely correct. I really believe that if Cosby was doing his standup routine today, Comedy Central wouldn't air him.

When you can be outre and shocking, why be creative and humorous?

Are they vinyl or CD?

And you're absolutely correct. I really believe that if Cosby was doing his standup routine today, Comedy Central wouldn't air him.

When you can be outre and shocking, why be creative and humorous?

544273[/snapback]

Vinyl...with an old record player just hanging on by a thread to play them on.

:lol:

Excellent.

Love the old Vinyl. It's a pity my kid will never know what a record or cassette is.

:lol:

544277[/snapback]

I have two record players and thousands of albums. You can pick up crates of albums for $20. Anything originally recorded in analog(ie Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Jazz, Funk, Blues, etc) will sound better being played on a diamond stylus then the infrared on your cd. Its amazing the difference in quality if you play the same song side by side LP version and CD version. I will always play records. I also have some 8 tracks which I kept for nostalgia

I have two record players and thousands of albums.  You can pick up crates of albums for $20.  Anything originally recorded in analog(ie Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Jazz, Funk, Blues, etc) will sound better being played on a diamond stylus then the infrared on your cd.  Its amazing the difference in quality if you play the same song side by side LP version and CD version.  I will always play records.  I also have some 8 tracks which I kept for nostalgia

544393[/snapback]

Stylus is really that much better? Interesting. Do you need higher end gear to tell the difference? I would love to hear some Floyd.

Stylus is really that much better?  Interesting.  Do you need higher end gear to tell the difference?  I would love to hear some Floyd.

544402[/snapback]

Stylus is really that much better! I have two very good turntables- one I picked up off ebay for $200. Rega makes some of the better record players but you will pay for it. I imagine you can notice a difference with any record player but is much more pronounced with a nice diamond stylus and great speakers. The stylus is a hundred times better. I have a buddy who is a serious audiophile. His main turntable has triple suspension and records sound incredible on his system! Ebay you can find lots of great records too. I check out garage sales as well(we call them tag sales here in CT), flea markets, Goodwill, etc for good records. Man I just love that sound when the stylus hits a record!

Comedy is as strong as ever and if you're watching only Comedy Central then you're missing out. The "Bob and Tom Show" has regular and very good samples of today's comedians and many of them are brilliant.

It's like music. If you want to listen to what the suits want you to hear then most of it is going to suck.

I can't wait til it comes out on DVD. Her humor can be shocking.

Here is a link to the movie trailer. (NSFW)

Jesus is Magic trailer

544059[/snapback]

My only complaint about the movie was that the music took away, a little, from the stand-up stuff....I am hoping a DVD edition will have extra bits from her live performances...

The thing that makes Silverman so funny, is her delivery. If you just repeat one of her jokes, it can just kind of sound outrageous, or inappropriate. You gotta hear her tell it!

I haven't seen "The Aristocrats" yet (still hasn't made it to the theaters here, likely see it on DVD), but from what I have heard, Silverman steals the show!

I think they are reprinting old editions of "Family Circus" in the Sunday funnies!

544547[/snapback]

Good for you. You find obnoxious vulgarity amusing. I'm sure you probably think of Mapplethorpe as an "artist", too.

I, for one, appreciate REAL creativity.

And Darin....got a link to this Bob and Tom stuff?

Apparently though, this "joke" and it's many different variations (almost all of them similarly filthy) is hiliarious to some people... :blink:

544167[/snapback]

"The Aristocrats" was pretty decent. Probably the most foul film you'll ever see. Some of it is pretty dumb but the idea is pretty good. Just something you don't want your wife to see.

Good for you. You find obnoxious vulgarity amusing. I'm sure you probably think of Mapplethorpe as an "artist", too.

I, for one, appreciate REAL creativity.

And Darin....got a link to this Bob and Tom stuff?

544563[/snapback]

Their website is www.bobandtom.com

Darin is right, they are typically very funny and are constantly bringing standup comics on the show as guests.