Why I think we might need to clean house

seq004

I believe free agents come to teams for different reasons with the most important reason being $$. Another reason that seems to play big is stability at the top. If the Bills throw big money at Hutch or Bentley or whoever I'm afraid they may still have a problem going to a team with a lame duck coach assuming TD is gone and a new GM is in place. One thing I would like to avoid and this goes back to the Super Bowl years is the mentality of lets go after the free agent that's easiest to sign. To me that throws out a white flag right away. Why not go after the harder FA deal with all the crap in negot. but the payoff may be worth it. Case in point 1986 most fans including my Dad said their was "No way the Bills would be able to sign Jim Kelly" and a year later fans were in joyful shock to see the Bills pull off a huge trade and sign Bennett a player that the Colts wouldn't give big rookie money to. Add Bruce Smith who was the number 1 overall pick in 1985 and the Bills signed Bruce even before the draft and I'm sure that was a sweet rookie contract back then. Those three moves were the cornerstone of Bill Polian and the reason we went to 4 Superbowls. Did the Bills pay to much Money for Jim on his first contract? Sure did but you find players with character and if they see things are being done to bring a champioship to town and they remain loyal to a winning team. New GM, New Coach, New Philosophy=winning team.