Coaching Changes Around the League

Amstel

One high-level NFL club official said his discussions with other officials led him to believe there could be 10 head coaching changes in the off-season.

-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

10? I'm sure the ten must include MM as a possiblilty who are the others?

GB, Baltimore, KC, Oakland, Houston.....

One high-level NFL club official said his discussions with other officials led him to believe there could be 10 head coaching changes in the off-season.

-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

10?  I'm sure the ten must include MM as a possiblilty  who are the others?

GB, Baltimore, KC, Oakland, Houston.....

543327[/snapback]

You can probably add the Jets in there if there is any truth to the rumor that Herm would replace Vermeil.

All but gone

Brian Billick

Dom Capers

Jim Haslett

Mike Martz

Dick Jauron (interim)

Norv Turner

Up to them

Herman Edwards

Joe Gibbs

Dennis Green

Jeff Fisher

Bill Parcells

Dick Vermeil

Still up in the air

Mike Mularkey, Buffalo: The Bills’ huge upset at Cincinnati last week may go a long way in helping Mularkey save his job. The Bills will likely push general manager Tom Donahoe out, so his replacement could have someone else in mind for the coaching position. But Mularkey has only been with the team two years. He’ll likely be back.

Mike Sherman

Mike Tice

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10608730/

I'd love to see Jeff Fisher here :D

543389[/snapback]

Me too. I would be a very happy man if that happened. I'm starting to soften now though. I would like to see atleast one person go. Before I wanted TD and Mike now just give me one and I will be happy.

I'd love to see Jeff Fisher here :D

543389[/snapback]

I've made this push before, but don't fear redundancy-- I'd love, above all others, to have Brian Billick.

This said, Mularkey could still develop, and I wouldn't pout long (seven, eight minutes, tops) if he led us into another season. I'd like to see how he'd do without being ball-gagged by executives and executive decisions.

I've made this push before, but don't fear redundancy-- I'd love, above all others, to have Brian Billick.

This said, Mularkey could still develop, and I wouldn't pout long (seven, eight minutes, tops) if he led us into another season.  I'd like to see how he'd do without being ball-gagged by executives and executive decisions.

543419[/snapback]

If MM had his druthers, Drew Bledsoe would have likely been the Bills QB in 2005...

Jeff Fisher would be great, but I don't see him leaving Tennessee just yet...

Brian Billick? My instincts say "no", but explain why you think he would be so good in Buffalo...

Brian Billick?  My instincts say "no", but explain why you think he would be so good in Buffalo...

543425[/snapback]

you don't need instincts to say no to BB. That guy has been living on the fumes of Moss/Carter/Cunningham and Marvin Lewis his entire time at Baltimore.

You want QB discussions? Take a look at what "the guru" has done w/ the Ravens... :D

you don't need instincts to say no to BB. That guy has been living on the fumes of Moss/Carter/Cunningham and Marvin Lewis his entire time at Baltimore.

You want QB discussions?  Take a look at what "the guru" has done w/ the Ravens...  :D

543475[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree. I never really think of him as being a great coach. He kind of lucked his way into a Super Bowl win. He had a team that was not built in his image, and to his credit, managed to win a championship with them. He had very little to do with the defense, which had everything to do with them winning it all. In his 6 or 7 years in Baltimore, Billick has not managed to oversee the construction of a balanced offense (his supposed strength), to match his defense.

On top of that, he is kind of a self-loving jerk...

If MM had his druthers, Drew Bledsoe would have likely been the Bills QB in 2005...

Jeff Fisher would be great, but I don't see him leaving Tennessee just yet...

Brian Billick?  My instincts say "no", but explain why you think he would be so good in Buffalo...

543425[/snapback]

Brian Billick has proven! that he knows how to be a head coach and can put together world class defense. Not just cause of his "killer" players, but those defenses are just awesome.

I would say though that his approach to offense has been due to a lack of talent. And his offesnse cant be any worse. So that seems to be a good deal for us - a return to defensive greatness, which I think i ours for the taking, and we keep our special teams, and promote either Bobby April or pay him a bit more.

Then (ok - why not dream??) Martz for Offensive Coordinator? That would be a dream team in my book and ready to start in the NFL and make a difference in year one. And lastly would capitilize on what we still have here.

couple that with the promotion of TD to business only President and to Tom Modrak to GM in charge of talent and we are back in the super bowl hunt on day one/.

And everyne is happy and continuity is maintained (which is super important to sucess).

Brian Billick has proven! that he knows how to be a head coach and can put together world class defense. Not just cause of his "killer" players, but those defenses are just awesome.

I would say though that his approach to offense has been due to a lack of talent. And his offesnse cant be any worse. So that seems to be a good deal for us - a return to defensive greatness, which I think i ours for the taking, and we keep our special teams, and promote either Bobby April or pay him a bit more.

Then (ok - why not dream??) Martz for Offensive Coordinator? That would be a dream team in my book and ready to start in the NFL and make a difference in year one. And lastly would capitilize on what we still have here.

couple that with the promotion of TD to business only President and to Tom Modrak to GM in charge of talent and we are back in the super bowl hunt on day one/.

And everyne is happy and continuity is maintained (which is super important to sucess).

543815[/snapback]

The only problem with your "dream", is that both Billick and Martz think that they are the "next" Bill Walsh or Don Coryell. I think you are giving Billick too much credit for building a great defense, and not enough blame for their perpetually lousy offense. It is kind of a stretch to say that the Ravens offense has had no talent. True, they have never had the home-run threat WR in Baltimore, but they have had some pretty damn good running backs in Baltimore (Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis), one of the upper tier tight ends, and above average talent along the offensive line. Billick got his QB in Boller, and it has only been the last two weeks that he has shown any spark.

You want QB discussions?  Take a look at what "the guru" has done w/ the Ravens...  :D

543475[/snapback]

Amen! BB is one of my least favorite NFL HC's and personalities...I would cry if the Bills hired him...just weep like a baby... :D

The only problem with your "dream", is that both Billick and Martz think that they are the "next" Bill Walsh or Don Coryell.  I think you are giving Billick too much credit for building a great defense, and not enough blame for their perpetually lousy offense.  It is kind of a stretch to say that the Ravens offense has had no talent.  True, they have never had the home-run threat WR in Baltimore, but they have had some pretty damn good running backs in Baltimore (Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis), one of the upper tier tight ends, and above average talent along the offensive line.  Billick got his QB in Boller, and it has only been the last two weeks that he has shown any spark.

543818[/snapback]

I don't quite know if I follow your entire argument. But while we are always going to be in a quandry of "the coach or the players", still when a team achieves greatness over a number of years, head coach and coordinator are responsible. So while we might differ over the Billick=Defensive greatness part of the equation, what team would not froth over the demotion of Martz to OC? At times his offenses haven't worked, but even the great Jim Kelly KGun had good days and bad days. I think a return to those kind of performances is a good thing for this club. Those performances didn't come from Kay Stevenson and they ain't commin from MM either. MM (Mike Martz -- oh oh I see the problem already, MM = MM) however, is capable of putting up numbers for you.

I believe I saw him at Buffalo International Airport.  He was sipping a brew with George Seifert and talking to Chris Berman's cab driver.  :D

543460[/snapback]

Think Berman would be interested? He could assign every Bill a cool nickname, put them on jerseys and make a mint for Ralph.

The only problem with your "dream", is that both Billick and Martz think that they are the "next" Bill Walsh or Don Coryell.  I think you are giving Billick too much credit for building a great defense, and not enough blame for their perpetually lousy offense.  It is kind of a stretch to say that the Ravens offense has had no talent.  True, they have never had the home-run threat WR in Baltimore, but they have had some pretty damn good running backs in Baltimore (Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis), one of the upper tier tight ends, and above average talent along the offensive line.  Billick got his QB in Boller, and it has only been the last two weeks that he has shown any spark.

543818[/snapback]

And they have a ring. :lol:

543815[/snapback]

Brian Billick inherited a great Defense and a great director of football operations in Ozzie....

His approach to offense has been his inability to get two 1st Rd QBs get going in

Redman and Boller through his entire career....nor could he get a veteran like

Jeff Garcia going....His fault was not in signing Brad Johnson when the Redskins

let go of him wrongly.

And he had Marvin lewis to run the D during the superbowl victory.