no QB controversy this week

1billsfan

Malarkey should start Holcomb and then do what the playoff bound teams will be doing this week and pull all his starters for the second half. Put in Losman at QB, Preston at center, King at CB, Baker at safety and so on and so forth. This way he get's a look at the players on the bench, soothes all veteran's second guessing and still the Bills would have a good shot at not dropping in the NFL draft order.

I kinda agree.  But, after last week, it seems pretty clear that MM is coaching to save his job, and I don't think we will see that happen.

Although I'd like it......

543111[/snapback]

If Ralph knows Malarkey is safe and will be coming back next year he should tell him this week because we needs some answers on some of our young players. It makes no sense not to play the young players in the last REAL game before the 2006 season. I really wish that all the young players would play from the second quarter on. But unfortunately I don't see that happening.

If Ralph knows Malarkey is safe and will be coming back next year he should tell him this week because we needs some answers on some of our young players. It makes no sense not to play the young players in the last REAL game before the 2006 season. I really wish that all the young players would play from the second quarter on. But unfortunately I don't see that happening.

543190[/snapback]

I think Ralph would be smart to watch this game first before giving MM any vote of confidence after the horrible year he's had. IMO MM is hanging onto his job by a thread & needs a convincing win over a 3-12 team bad. If I'm MM, I start Holcomb & I pull out all the stops to win.... then if I keep my job, I worry about developing young players next year.

I think Ralph would be smart to watch this game first before giving MM any vote of confidence after the horrible year he's had. IMO MM is hanging onto his job by a thread & needs a convincing win over a 3-12 team bad. If I'm MM, I start Holcomb & I pull out all the stops to win.... then if I keep my job, I worry about developing young players next year.

543198[/snapback]

I don't agree about MM needing a win bad. In all honesty, the powers that be have seen 15 games so far (most of them ugly) - the last game shouldn't really sway anyone too far to another viewpoint even if the Bills blow out the Jets or get pummeled by the Jets.

With nothing to play for I am stunned at the lack of playing time the youngsters are getting right now. I like a Bills win as much as the next guy, but what does playing Holcomb and a number of vets who won't be here next season really get us?

With nothing to play for I am stunned at the lack of playing time the youngsters are getting right now. I like a Bills win as much as the next guy, but what does playing Holcomb and a number of vets who won't be here next season really get us?

543205[/snapback]

A: a later draft pick, which equates to money saved for RW.

543198[/snapback]

There is no subsitute for real game action. The Bills need to use this game to better our team, not as an empty cosmetic win over a lousy team. Does anyone here think the Bills will lose against the Jets if they're playing the starters? No way the Bills lose. Playing the young players is the smart move. As an added benifit if they lose with their backups, the Bills could help their draft position AND hurt the Jets chances of getting Reggie Bush.

I don't agree about MM needing a win bad. In all honesty, the powers that be have seen 15 games so far (most of them ugly) - the last game shouldn't really sway anyone too far to another viewpoint even if the Bills blow out the Jets or get pummeled by the Jets.

543205[/snapback]

The same can be said about winning the Bengals game last weekend... the powers that be had already seen 14 games....

I think MM was toast after the 2nd Pats game, but found a little ray of light by beating the Bengals. But after already losing to the 3-12 Saints & getting blown out by the 4-11 Raiders on the road, a loss to the 3-12 Jets would seal the deal... JMO.

Does anyone here think the Bills will lose against the Jets if they're playing the starters? No way the Bills lose.

543214[/snapback]

Before the Bengals game was played, there's no way I would've guaranteed a road win over the Jets. Right now, I'd say it's 50/50. Divisional game, on the road, MM coaching... a loss is not out of the question. I think AVP was the QB the last time the Bills beat the Jets in the Meadowlands.

A: a later draft pick, which equates to money saved for RW.

543209[/snapback]

I don't believe it's about the draft pick and the resulting money at all. The Bills are essentially going to have the same payroll (real dollars given out to players) as any other team - that's the salary cap era. If there was no salary cap (like baseball) I'd buy into your argument - you may not want a guy because he's going to cost you $10 million more so let someone else pay that.

No way are the young players sitting because the Bills want to pay their #1 pick next year $3 million instead of $4 million.

The only reason to play Holcomb is to give you the best chance to win, but we need extra time with JP at the helm more than we need another win, and for the love of God it makes absolutely no sense to do anything other than start JP and keep working out the kinks. Besides, I'd be willing to bet JP could beat the Jets anyway.

But it won't work out that way because it is clear that there is no single direction for the Bills. Only varied directions with plastic goals.

The only reason to play Holcomb is to give you the best chance to win, but we need extra time with JP at the helm more than we need another win, and for the love of God it makes absolutely no sense to do anything other than start JP and keep working out the kinks. Besides, I'd be willing to bet JP could beat the Jets anyway.

But it won't work out that way because it is clear that there is no single direction for the Bills. Only varied directions with plastic goals.

543285[/snapback]

Agree 100%.

I find it scary given the circumstances that JP is not playing. Is this a reult, as the WIVB piece claims, that the coaches feel they already know JP doesn't have it? I'm not an NFL coach, but 7 starts doesn't seem like enough time to me. It's a bad situation of the coaches are judging him too early, and an even worse situation if he is indeed incapable of being the quarterback of the future.

Agree 100%.

I find it scary given the circumstances that JP is not playing. Is this a reult, as the WIVB piece claims, that the coaches feel they already know JP doesn't have it? I'm not an NFL coach, but 7 starts doesn't seem like enough time to me. It's a bad situation of the coaches are judging him too early, and an even worse situation if he is indeed incapable of being the quarterback of the future.

543289[/snapback]

The Travis Henry gig proved to me that virtually no one outside OBD truly knows everything that is going on. Maybe I just didn't keep my eye on the ball, but to see him get suspended for a substance violation completely caught me off guard, and it seems the Titans were a bit surprised as well.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with JP, but I am not ignoring the fact that some people may know something the rest of us don't know about his situation. But to suggest that the staff has decided JP can't play after seven games is irresponsible reporting and stupidity at a high level.

Agree 100%.

543289[/snapback]

We watched the tapes of 20 college games and had two private workouts, and on that meager basis drafted him.

So why is is so incomprehensible that our opinion might have a bit more foundation by virtue of actually working and talking with him every day for two seasons, and having him play through 7 gameplans (plus preseason games) prepared especially for him?

I don't know what he's like in practice, but it seems to me that his coaches over the last two years now have an infinitely stronger basis on which to judge his talents than did the scouts who told us he was worth a 1, 2, and 4.