Reasons for Moulds resurgence

Kelly the Dog

Eric Moulds has had two straight good games, what is the biggest reason?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Eric Moulds has had two straight good games, what is the biggest reason?

• Kelly Holcomb is a veteran quarterback that knows when and where to throw the ball. Moulds has been there and open all year but not until now did the Bills QB get the ball to him.
    • Moulds had been loafing or in a funk through most of the season, and the embarassment of his suspension after realizing he was wrong, re-energized him. If anything, his resurgence proves he was loafing earlier and is still capable of being good when he tries.
    • Moulds can turn it on and off when he wants and just decided to play for a better contract next year on the Bills or someone else in the last couple games.
    • Moulds was lucky and is only able to have these kinds of games 2-3 times a year.
    • Moulds thinks Mike Mularjey is an idiot, and just showed how wrong MM was for suspending him when he didn't deserve it.
    • It was a fluke and likely won't happen again in Moulds career because he is shot.
    • None of the above, but please supply your reason below.

i chose answer b lol.eric can be good he is just "not the man" anymore

542967[/snapback]

A. Eric Moulds has looked great with holcomb under center, he can still get it done, but he doesn't have a feel for the kid. He started to play well with losman in the panther game, but JP was quite horrible earlier in the year.

While I like Moulds, I think there's far more to it than "he's just turning it on",

or that Moulds has been open all year and Holcomb is able to hit him (whereas JP

cannot).

A majority of the catches Moulds has had of any value (those crossing routes 15 yards downfield) the past two games were mainly against zone coverages. I've notice far less man up with help over the top on him. I believe teams have taken note that Evans is now the deep threat on the Bills, which isn't to say Moulds isn't respected anymore, but definitely not like he was once was. In fact, against Denver, Champ Bailey had Evans at least as much as he did Moulds, from what I can recall.

To me, it was the combinations of zone coverages, Evans being a bigger homerun threat now, and I'll give Holcomb some due in that at this point, he does recognize coverages better than JP does. I guess we could add that it was Moulds who was calling for Holcomb early on and that probably still rolls around inside JP's head too.

All in all, if teams are beginning to shift double coverage from Moulds, he'll continue to perform as a veteran receiver, he must love going against zones without the double coverage. He's still too good for teams let him run free. He's shown that the past two weeks.

It certainly seems that he can still play when he wants to, what is the reason?

542943[/snapback]

I chose the none option because #1 is the only choice you offered that even remotely comes close to an option that isn't a shot at EM's character, abilities or professionalism. I mean come on man, why all the hate for the guy? He's been the backbone of this franchise for a good part of the last decade and now guys like you are dirtbagging him and that is lame. I mean seriously, take a fair and balanced look at your choices bro.

First off, look at your quote. He's shown this year that he can still take control of a game, but I highly doubt it's whether 'he wants to' or not. It seems logical to think that he can only do as much when he's given the opportunity. JP doesn't give him that opportunity week in and week out, KH does.

I chose the none option because #1 is the only choice you offered that even remotely comes close to an option that isn't a shot at EM's character, abilities or professionalism.  I mean come on man, why all the hate for the guy?  He's been the backbone of this franchise for a good part of the last decade and now guys like you are dirtbagging him and that is lame.  I mean seriously, take a fair and balanced look at your choices bro.

First off, look at your quote.  He's shown this year that he can still take control of a game, but I highly doubt it's whether 'he wants to' or not.  It seems logical to think that he can only do as much when he's given the opportunity.  JP doesn't give him that opportunity week in and week out, KH does.

543017[/snapback]

What is your idea of why then? I don't hate Moulds. I think we should keep him. He is one of my favorite players. I just think he hasnt put out the effort this year, and he made a major mistake refusing to go back in. And the fact that suddenly he turned it on and looked faster than he has all season, breaking tackles like he hasn't all season, and busting his ass like he had for 8 seasons but hasnt for the last one or two is not a fluke. I think he got complacent. I think he got frustrated by losing. And I think he lost some of his spirit and his professionalism. I think he realized he made a big mistake and now he is showing that he still has something left in the tank. I hope it's with the Bills. I don't think it was just coincidence that it was after the suspension. Even when he was catching balls from KH in earlier games, he wasnt running hard, he wasnt breaking plays and breaking tackles, he wasnt getting separation. That tells me he wasn't trying as hard as he can and he used to.

What is your idea of why then? I don't hate Moulds. I think we should keep him. He is one of my favorite players. I just think he hasnt put out the effort this year, and he made a major mistake refusing to go back in. And the fact that suddenly he turned it on and looked faster than he has all season, breaking tackles like he hasn't all season, and busting his ass like he had for 8 seasons but hasnt for the last one or two is not a fluke. I think he got complacent. I think he got frustrated by losing. And I think he lost some of his spirit and his professionalism. I think he realized he made a big mistake and now he is showing that he still has something left in the tank. I hope it's with the Bills. I don't think it was just coincidence that it was after the suspension. Even when he was catching balls from KH in earlier games, he wasnt running hard, he wasnt breaking plays and breaking tackles, he wasnt getting separation. That tells me he wasn't trying as hard as he can and he used to.

543026[/snapback]

How could you describe a player in this unflattering light AND want to keep him?

The man is due to cost 10.85 million dollars of cap space in 06. He would probably be one of the highest paid wideouts in the NFL. Putting his attitude aside, he just isn't that good any more.

Personally, I am tired of so-so players holding the Buffalo Bills Salary Cap hostage. At some point, we have to cut the cord and jettison the overpaid, griping, and/or washed up players and give the money to people who earn it.

Of course, the above was not only aimed at Moulds.

How could you describe a player in this unflattering light AND want to keep him?

The man is due to cost 10.85 million dollars of cap space in 06. He would probably be one of the highest paid wideouts in the NFL. Putting his attitude aside, he just isn't that good any more.

Personally, I am tired of so-so players holding the Buffalo Bills Salary Cap  hostage. At some point, we have to cut the cord and jettison the overpaid, griping, and/or washed up players and give the money to people who earn it.

Of course, the above was not only aimed at Moulds.

543037[/snapback]

I didnt mean keep him with his present salary. He needs a new deal with significant pay cut. The reason I want him is that if we don't have him we have to go out and sign a FA #1 or #2 for likely the same amount of money, and they may not be as good as him, if he tries. He's not longer great but you could see him turn it on in the last couple games and still make plays. And I think people make mistakes, big mistakes in their life, and their entire career shouldn't suffer for it. Sometimes, they are so big that one cannot forgive it (like, say, cheating on your wife) but usually you should be able to put it past you and give them another chance.

He has a QB whobthrows the ball accurately and on time. I was at the Bills/Pats game in Foxboro and it was the same thing. Moulds was open te vast majority of time and Holcomb made the throws. It's that simple. The Pats game was before the suspension and he was playing great.

A combination of ! and 2. JP didn't get him the ball as much as he was open. Moulds became impatient and convinced that JP couldn't get him the ball, and so he developed a bad attitude and habits. But he still can do it when he wants to, and when the QB is able to see him and get the ball there.

He has a QB whobthrows the ball accurately and on time.  I was at the Bills/Pats game in Foxboro and it was the same thing.  Moulds was open te vast majority of time and Holcomb made the throws.  It's that simple.  The Pats game was before the suspension and he was playing great.

543240[/snapback]

Moulds averages less than 10 yards a reception with Holcomb for the entire year until his suspension, and just over 10 after it. That is terrible for a #1 WR. It is tolerable, when you can 9 for 105 or 110 which he has the last couple games post-suspension. And that is when IMO he was running hard, getting separation and breaking tackles. You are right, in the NE game, that was the only one he did that before the suspension in 13 games. It's not really all that good when it's 7-59 or 4-36 or 7-63 like in the other games with Holcomb, and when he flat out didnt run hard when Losman was in there.

A combination of ! and 2.  JP didn't get him the ball as much as he was open.  Moulds became impatient and convinced that JP couldn't get him the ball, and so he developed a bad attitude and habits.  But he still can do it when he wants to, and when the QB is able to see him and get the ball there.

543272[/snapback]

Exactly, and that is on Moulds' shoulders. You can be pissed, you can be frustrated, you can be vocal all you want. And Moulds more than anyone on the team had a right to be frustrated. What you can't do, for any reason whatsover,. at any time, under any circumstances, is not try in games, which is what he did when he got frustrated.

He's a vet who can get open in zone coverage and keep the chains moving. He's not going to average 13-15 ypc anymore, he doesn't have the speed or quickness to take advantage of aggressive coverage, but if the OL can give the QB time, he can find a soft spot, square up and make a catch and use his size and power to get another yard or two. He's the only viable receiving target over 6' tall that the team has because the TE's are worthless in the passing game.

If you went to the games Moulds WAS open. He just wasn't getting the ball. I don't care if he has 9 receptions for 90 yards and only averages 9 yards per catch. That means the Bills have moved the ball and are keeping possession. Moulds is going to have close to 80 catches this year despite missing one game. Where are you going to get 80 catches a year to replace him? The answer is you're not. He is a great complement to Evans who has better speed and potential to catch the long ball. But Evans is not ready to be a number one guy. I think we all saw enough of the offense without Moulds and it was awful. Restructure Moulds. He wants to stay and if you cut him and pay him 6M not to be here and sign anyone good enough to replace him you're going to need to pay another at least 3M/year. So you'd be taking a cap hit of about 9M anyway, which is about what you pay per year for resigning Moulds.

If you went to the games Moulds WAS open.  He just wasn't getting the ball.  I don't care if he has 9 receptions for 90 yards and only averages 9 yards per catch.  That means the Bills have moved the ball and are keeping possession.  Moulds is going to have close to 80 catches this year despite missing one game.  Where are you going to get 80 catches a year to replace him?  The answer is you're not.  He is a great complement to Evans who has better speed and potential to catch the long ball.  But Evans is not ready to be a number one guy.  I think we all saw enough of the offense without Moulds and it was awful.  Restructure Moulds.  He wants to stay and if you cut him and pay him 6M not to be here and sign anyone good enough to replace him you're going to need to pay another at least 3M/year.  So you'd be taking a cap hit of about 9M anyway, which is about what you pay per year for resigning Moulds.

543658[/snapback]

I agree that Moulds should be retained, pretty much whether he re-negotiates or not. The reason is that they won't be able to replace what he does because there is nothing in FA and the team doesn't need the cap space.

As for Moulds being open. No. I sit at the 50 and follow Moulds closely and simply put, Moulds does not have #1 talent anymore. He can't eat up a CB's cushion the way he once could, which pretty much makes him ineffective working the sidelines because he's an easy man cover. A deep out pattern to Moulds is a pic 6 waiting to happen.

Where he is still very good is working the middle of the field. Get him in there with the MLB and the safeties, and he looks like a different athlete. Mularkey has been a meathead for much of the year, but he deserves credit for recognizing where Moulds should be. No more of Moulds running reverses and getting nailed for no gain by some unknown OLB. No more jumpballs down the sidelines to a blanketed Moulds. The transition has been made, and it's the first time since Larry Centers and Jay Riemersma were released that the Bills have had a quality, middle of the field target.