Gameday Grades on Bills Daily

Tisaruse

the most important part of a run game is attempts not yards to keep defenses honest. We put in the attempts so for that I wouldn't give a d. It's not worth beating the dead horse by saying this oline gets no push in the run game. Even solomon wilcots was pointing this out today. So no I dont agree with the d.

Willis wasn't terribly impressive today but he was steady and don't think he warrants a D.  He went foward at least and kept the running game an honest threat.  Thoughts?

542063[/snapback]

If McGahee were Betts he'd probably get a higher grade for that performance. When you run your mouth like a sphincter in midst the worst case of dysentery in the history of mankind you are not exactly begging for kindness in grading.

Willis wasn't terribly impressive today but he was steady and don't think he warrants a D.  He went foward at least and kept the running game an honest threat.  Thoughts?

542063[/snapback]

Sorry, but >3 yards per carry on almost any day merits a D. It is especially true against a mediocre defense.

Look, we're all happy about the win, but there's *no question* that Willis McGahee was a disappointment today. Fact is, Buffalo was kept in this game by its special teams and the Cincinnati pass rush deciding not to show up - producing our first 300 yard passing day since approximately the last ice age.

Moreover, this "D" grade is certainly merited based upon cumulative performance. Maybe on an off day for a guy having a good year, you give a "C" for this kind of performance after a win. But the Bills have been an utter disappointment this year, and McGahee is definitely part of the problem. McGahee has just plain *stunk* in every game since Halloween. And today was no exception. If McGahee continues to regularly be good for 3 yards per carry, the Bills will be bad again next year.

JDG

If McGahee were Betts he'd probably get a higher grade for that performance.  When you run your mouth like a sphincter in midst the worst case of dysentery in the history of mankind you are not exactly begging for kindness in grading.

542082[/snapback]

But McGahee's performance had nothing to do with running his sphincter muscles and everything to do with keeping the Bills in the game. The running threat was real and allowed the passing game to work. I thought he played well. Not specatarularly, but well and better than a D is all.

It's not worth beating the dead horse by saying this oline gets no push in the run game. Even solomon wilcots was pointing this out today. 

542064[/snapback]

Ain't that the truth! On two unsuccessful goal line runs, Villarreal was absolutely turned around by the Bengals D-linemen, so he was facing Holcomb. Crap, if he had been an eligable receiver, he would have been wide open in the endzone! I used to think that Teauge and Villarreal were solid together, but they were bad today, on running plays.

On that topic, did the Bills run to the outside more than once the whole day?

JDG

Willis McGahee has been a disappointment this whole season period but today I thought he did well. Not specatularly but solidly and today's performance is it's own and shouldn't be placed in a sum column negated by past cumulative failures. !

542063[/snapback]

Willis had a nice game today. He hit the holes as best as he could. He really didn't have a chance to break one for big yardage. He did have a 13 yard run but I think Cinci was thinking pass on that play.

JDG

Willis McGahee has been a disappointment this whole season period but today I thought he did well. Not specatularly but solidly and today's performance is it's own and shouldn't be placed in a  sum column negated by past cumulative failures.  !

542095[/snapback]

Let's make some comparisons:

McGahee this year has been held under 4 ypc nine times this year, including under 3ypc on a whopping FIVE occasions (including today, numbers for all other backs do not include today), and three games above 5 ypc.

Rudi Johnson this year, has had three games with less than 4ypc, 0 with less than 3ypc, and 2 games with 5+ypc - including one game where he had a whopping 30 carries. He had another 4.8 ypc average this week.

LaMont Jordan has been held under 4 ypc Nine times as well (albeit twice at 3.9ypc), but has only been held under 3 ypc on two occasions.

Thomas Jones has been held under 4ypc on Eight occasions (in two fewer games than McGahee), but again, has only been held under 3 ypc twice.

Reuben Droughns has been held under 4ypc on Eight occasions, and under 3ypc on only three times.

So note, I haven't even looked up the comparisons with backs like Tomlinson, Alexander, Portis, Larry Johnson, and James - and yet, McGahee looks statistically worse this year than many of the second-tier backs in the NFL. Yes, the offensive line is bad - but for this abysmal performance to be entirely on the offensive line would require the offensive line to be well beyond the worst in NFL history, and I just don't buy that. Indeed, the offensive line looked pretty good in pass-blocking situations today

JDG

<<On that topic, did the Bills run to the outside more than once the whole day?>>

I've always thought that north/south was better than east/west.  Willis did move forward more than side to side today but that was a good thing imo.

542099[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with either style, if it works. Willis ran the ball decently today (I thought) but the running plays were incredibly predictable. The red-zone running attempts, in particular, were just wasted downs, in my opinion. 1st and goal on the 3 yrd line, and the runs up the middle look like they are designed to gain a yard. I know, it is likely more an issue with the weak line, than the play calling, but I think mixing it up a little couldn't hurt anything when you are getting very little on the ground anyways...

Let's make some comparisons:

McGahee this year has been held under 4 ypc nine times this year, including under 3ypc on a whopping FIVE occasions (including today, numbers for all other backs do not include today), and three games above 5 ypc. 

Rudi Johnson this year, has had three games with less than 4ypc, 0 with less than 3ypc, and 2 games with 5+ypc - including one game where he had a whopping 30 carries.  He had another 4.8 ypc average this week.

LaMont Jordan has been held under 4 ypc Nine times as well (albeit twice at 3.9ypc), but has only been held under 3 ypc on two occasions. 

Thomas Jones has been held under 4ypc on Eight occasions (in two fewer games than McGahee), but again, has only been held under 3 ypc twice.

Reuben Droughns has been held under 4ypc on Eight occasions, and under 3ypc on only three times.

So note, I haven't even looked up the comparisons with backs like Tomlinson, Alexander, Portis, Larry Johnson, and James - and yet, McGahee looks statistically worse this year than many of the second-tier backs in the NFL.  Yes, the offensive line is bad - but for this abysmal performance to be entirely on the offensive line would require the offensive line to be well beyond the worst in NFL history, and I just don't buy that.  Indeed, the offensive line looked pretty good in pass-blocking situations today

JDG

542102[/snapback]

Actually, i was listening to ESPN radio last week and a bunch of the NFL talking heads were yapping about the worst O-Lines in the NFL this year. Buffalo was not even mentioned in the bottom five. Basically, lot's of teams have crummy O-lines....this is not unique to Buffalo. They went on about how New England lost it's two Left tackles to injury and they have been using an undrafted scrub at Left tackle and only Tom Brady can still make plays even with a nobody at that critical position.

And Yes I do think our O-line is below average and i also think Willis has had a horrible year. He's Waaaaay overrated.

Willis was good last year. But this year he reminds me of Antoine Smith. He doesn't seem to make anything happen on his own. He shows limited power and no elusiveness. If the line doesn't bust a hole, he gets nothing. Even when they do, the first guy to Willis ends the play. He doesn't show the ability to keep it going himself

Willis didn't look go to me. The Bills have been televised 3 times here in Cincy - the 1st NE game, DEN, and of, course yesterday. To the extent that seeing those games spaced out over the season gives me any insight, he's regressed. I just didn't see any fight in him this Sunday.

I'd sure like to see him pick it up at NYJ next week.

Willis didn't look go to me. The Bills have been televised 3 times here in Cincy - the 1st NE game, DEN, and of, course yesterday.  To the extent that seeing those games spaced out over the season gives me any insight, he's regressed. I just didn't see any fight in him this Sunday.

I'd sure like to see him pick it up at NYJ next week.

542322[/snapback]

The most lasting impression that McGahee made on me yesterday, was how excited he got when Holcomb ran it in for a touchdown...kind of impressed me as a guy who wants his team to win, and is maybe not as concerned with his own stats, as some here would have us believe...a lesser "teammate" would have likely sulked that he didn't get the opportunity for the td!

whats you talkin' 'bout willis??? lol i just opened up my christmas present today from my little brother.btw he is a dolfag fan.well he got me a away willis mcgahee jersey.it must have killed him to by that for me lol i guess i will wear it at the jets game next week.