Offensive Adjustments

Stussy109

I am noticing that our offense has zero production against the blitz. This is dating back to last year, most vividly, I remember dallas and Miami doing this to us. Miami were the ones who started this plan. All out blitz against Buffalo renders Bledsoe as ineffective and useless. EVer since then the majority of the teams we have played against have follow this "beat bledsoe" blue print. Don't let him stand in the pocket and beat you. Now, I thought with Mularkey and Clements being offensively minded they would have studied the game tapes of last year enough to know to adjust their offensive schemes to avoid, and most importantly BEAT the all out blitz. The way you do this is by counter plays (Which i saw them try and run), quick out passes, quick slants, and screens. I saw them try and run the WR screen a couple of times if I remember correctly, but Moulds dropped the play. If Moulds is dropping a basic WR screen, then they are not emphasizing it enough in practice to make the team comfortable with running the play.

Secondly, 3rd and 1 you RUN the football, you do not run a bootleg with Bledsoe. You run it behind your biggest guy, Mike Williams. No counters, No draws, Just straight behind Williams, and you pound it in there.

I have to say that comparing both O-lines yesterday, Oakland looked great. Not once did we sack Gannon, and not once did he truly look flustered. Even when we sent 5 and 6 guys, he was ALWAYS well protected. Up until yesterday i was a firm believer in The Bills being cheated week 1 and being able to turn it around. Now I'm clinging onto my last hope that if they can turn around and beat New England, or at least compete, we are still ok. I would like to see more screens, and quick patterns to complement the run game. A quick passing game is just as effective as a run game.

I give props to Buffalo's Defense though, any other team in the league that can consistently hold teams to 14pts or less would win 90% of their games. Keep up the good work D, and rally up the other half of the team. Enough of this losing mentality!

I am noticing that our offense has zero production against the blitz.  This is dating back to last year, most vividly, I remember dallas and Miami doing this to us.  Miami were the ones who started this plan. 

38486[/snapback]

Actually, Belichick and NE started this gameplan the year before last. Otherwise I agree, we need to have more timing patterns, alla the Pats. Of course, the problem here is that Drew is pretty inaccurate on short passes, but it's the only shot we've got at getting teams to back off the blitz.

Actually, Belichick and NE started this gameplan the year before last.  Otherwise I agree, we need to have more timing patterns, alla the Pats.  Of course, the problem here is that Drew is pretty inaccurate on short passes, but it's the only shot we've got at getting teams to back off the blitz.

38494[/snapback]

Not only is he inaccurate, he seems at times unable to pull the trigger. Those two things together do not make for winning football. He's got guts, and he'll hang in there until the bitter end, but he's lost IT. The writing is on the wall, and the days of Drew are numbered.