Today's most shocking moments

Simon

Shocking moment #1:

ChadJ and his mouth catch a quick out which is quickly sniffed out by LondonFletcher and his mouth. Fletcher puts a hard tackle on him and both guys jump up and head back to the huddle without saying a word. 0:)

Shocking moment #2:

On a huge down in the 4thqrtr, Holcombe makes an accurate throw in a tight spot but exposes his receiver in the process. At first glance you swear the shoe laying on the ground is the ball, but when the dust settles it turns out Josh Reed has just made a really tough grab while being walloped and held on. ;)

Shocking moment #3:

Terrence Magee makes a stroooong tackle to stop a Bengal receiver short of the sticks in the 4thqrtr. When Linesman Magoo inexplicable runs all the way past the sticks before turning in to spot the ball, Simon lets out an involuntary "Merry f'ing Christmas". The nearby Mrs Simon and the little Simons are left temporarily speechless. ;)

Shocking moment #1:

ChadJ and his mouth catch a quick out which is quickly sniffed out by LondonFletcher and his mouth. Fletcher puts a hard tackle on him and both guys jump up and head back to the huddle without saying a word0:)

Shocking moment #2:

On a huge down in the 4thqrtr, Holcombe makes an accurate throw in a tight spot but exposes his receiver in the process. At first glance you swear the shoe laying on the ground is the ball, but when the dust settles it turns out Josh Reed has just made a really tough grab while being walloped and held on;)

Shocking moment #3:

Terrence Magee makes a stroooong tackle to stop a Bengal receiver short of the sticks in the 4thqrtr. When Linesman Magoo inexplicable runs all the way past the sticks before turning in to spot the ball, Simon lets out an involuntary "Merry f'ing Christmas". The nearby Mrs Simon and the little Simons are left temporarily speechless.  ;)

541921[/snapback]

That was a terrible spot. Could MM have challeged the spot of the ball?

That was a terrible spot. Could MM have challeged the spot of the ball?

541924[/snapback]

He could have but it probably wasn't worth risking a secondhalf timeout in a tight game.

I thought Marvin Lewis made the exact mistake of doing just that, and it turns out he really could have used that 3rd timeout after the 2:00 warning.

Cya

He could have but it probably wasn't worth risking a secondhalf timeout in a tight game.

I thought Marvin Lewis made the exact mistake of doing just that, and it turns out he really could have used that 3rd timeout after the 2:00 warning.

Cya

541931[/snapback]

If his coaches were doing their jobs in the booth, he should have thrown the red flag. The play was not even close. The tackle was made more than one yard away from the spot and there was a perfect replay showing where the ball was not where they spotted it. IMO, there was a 99% chance that play would have been reversed. It wouldn't have been a risk at all for Mularkey to challenge it. I just happen to blame those kinds of plays on the guys upstairs for not telling the coach quick enough to challenge. MM wouldn't have really known for sure without being told.

If his coaches were doing their jobs in the booth, he should have thrown the red flag. The play was not even close. The tackle was made more than one yard away from the spot and there was a perfect replay showing where the ball was not where they spotted it. IMO, there was a 99% chance that play would have been reversed. It wouldn't have been a risk at all for Mularkey to challenge it. I just happen to blame those kinds of plays on the guys upstairs for not telling the coach quick enough to challenge. MM wouldn't have really known for sure without being told.

541949[/snapback]

I just don't think that plays like that are good risks for reviews. Ball placement is so subjective and refs always have the camera angle excuse to fall back on if they want to support their crew's work. I don't think there was better than a 50% chance they overturn the spot and even if they did it will still been 3rd/1 with the Bengals being able to get good surge all day. I just don't think the yard and the down were enough of a payoff to gamble what could have turned out to be a really valuable time-out.

Cya

I just don't think that plays like that are good risks for reviews. Ball placement is so subjective and refs always have the camera angle excuse to fall back on if they want to support their crew's work. I don't think there was better than a 50% chance they overturn the spot and even if they did it will still been 3rd/1 with the Bengals being able to get good surge all day. I just don't think the yard and the down were enough of a payoff to gamble what could have turned out to be a really valuable time-out.

Cya

541955[/snapback]

Under normal circumstances, I totally agree with you. When I watched the replay on that particular play, where they had a straight on angle, it really was not even close. It was not even within one yard of being close. To me, that particular play, not that particular situation, was a no brainer. They surely would have moved the ball back because of that angle that to me, showed the Bengal far short.

Cya

541931[/snapback]

Honestly I felt like that decision made his players panic a little. No way a Tony Dungy wastes a timeout in that situation. It sends the message to the players that your coach doesn't have faith in you and any little doubt (as the BILLS have shown us countless times over the past few seasons) seem to be magnified late in the game.

I don't want to start another thread to ask this question, but the bar I was wathching at, usually three floors, was shut down to one today, so we got to watch the game, but with no sound. What exactly happened on the on-side kick play? The way Bobby April was going ape-sh**, I thought they were calling it back. Then, after a lot of yelling and screaming (and I think the Bills challenged something on the play) the Bills wound up with the ball. What happened?

I don't want to start another thread to ask this question, but the bar I was wathching at, usually three floors, was shut down to one today, so we got to watch the game, but with no sound.  What exactly happened on the on-side kick play?  The way Bobby April was going ape-sh**, I thought they were calling it back.  Then, after a lot of yelling and screaming (and I think the Bills challenged something on the play) the Bills wound up with the ball.  What happened?

542057[/snapback]

It was answered in another thread, but the call on the field was an illegal block on Coy Wire before the ball had traveled 10 yards and able to be recovered by the Bills. April was going apeshit, rightfully, because Wire's block was well after the ball had travelled 10 yards, and was in fact about 13 yards downfield. Mularkey challenged the spot of the ball when the call was made, which showed the ball had travelled the necessary 10 yards before the block occured. And the Bills, rightfully, were awarded the ball.