sad ending to donohoe era

dave mcbride

i've been pretty critical of him over the years, but he's done a lot of good things for the team and one can't criticize him for lack of trying. i have no doubt that he worked his ass off over the past five years. i do think he needs to go, but the imminent firing is sad nonetheless. i do wish him well.

i've been pretty critical of him over the years, but he's done a lot of good things for the team and one can't criticize him for lack of trying. i have no doubt that he worked his ass off over the past five years. i do think he needs to go, but the imminent firing is sad nonetheless. i do wish him well.

541358[/snapback]

Good point. He has failed in fielding a winning team capable of overcoming adversity, of that there is no doubt. It's ridiculous to say that he is the worst, or he knows nothing, or he doesn't care about the lines. He just made more bad decisions based on talent and potential and money and chemistry than good decisions based on talent and potential and money and chemistry that came back to bite him in the ass. And he deserves to be fired for it. Personally, I hope they have a very good prospect in pocket before firing him, or keep Modrak, and not just get rid of him to get rid of him. He also has done a great job in other areas of the job description. But good luck to him.

541358[/snapback]

Agreed. His shortcomings clearly lay with player personnel and coaching evaluations, not his running of the team.

I wonder if the wholesale turnover of the scouting staff after Butler & AJ Smith went west might not be a bigger factor in the Bills plight than any of us imagine. There was a ton of football knowledge on that staff that retired or left the organization. The scouts we have now are relatively young and I can't help but wonder if the teams' lack of character/mental toughness is due in part to the greeness of the current scouts vs. the grizzled vets who used to run our scouting area.

Good point. He has failed in fielding a winning team capable of overcoming adversity, of that there is no doubt. It's ridiculous to say that he is the worst, or he knows nothing, or he doesn't care about the lines. He just made more bad decisions based on talent and potential and money and chemistry than good decisions based on talent and potential and money and chemistry that came back to bite him in the ass. And he deserves to be fired for it. Personally, I hope they have a very good prospect in pocket before firing him, or keep Modrak, and not just get rid of him to get rid of him. He also has done a great job in other areas of the job description. But good luck to him.

541370[/snapback]

I would even say he suffered more from bad luck than bad decisions, since most of his player moves looked very good on paper. Head coaches, that's another story :P ... but I also wish TD well whatever happens, he's a true pro.

Agreed.  His shortcomings clearly lay with player personnel and coaching evaluations, not his running of the team. 

I wonder if the wholesale turnover of the scouting staff after Butler & AJ Smith went west might not be a bigger factor in the Bills plight than any of us imagine.  There was a ton of football knowledge on that staff that retired or left the organization.  The scouts we have now are relatively young and I can't help but wonder if the teams' lack of character/mental toughness is due in part to the greeness of the current scouts vs. the grizzled vets who used to run our scouting area.

541372[/snapback]

you know, now that i think about it, i don't think it was the college scouts who were the problem. like all teams, they've had some misses, but they've had their hits as well. i really think that aside from the coaching stuff, the pro personnel was the thing that killed him. sure, they hit on spikes, but they let too many guys go who shouldn't have been let go and nabbed some others that shouldn't have been nabbed. and as always with him, there is the qb position problem. i don't ever think he's ever overseen a team where the qb contributed stellar play. probably the best he got was drew in 02, but bledsoe's stats that year were deceiving, as he generally went into the tank against good teams and late in the season.

you know, now that i think about it, i don't think it was the college scouts who were the problem. like all teams, they've had some misses, but they've had their hits as well.  i really think that aside from the coaching stuff, the pro personnel was the thing that killed him. sure, they hit on spikes, but they let too many guys go who shouldn't have been let go and nabbed some others that shouldn't have been nabbed. and as always with him, there is the qb position problem. i don't ever think he's ever overseen a team where the qb contributed stellar play. probably the best he got was drew in 02, but bledsoe's stats that year were deceiving, as he generally went into the tank against good teams and late in the season.

541406[/snapback]

The high profile FAs you mention are all on TD, who signed them off their proven track records, not a player personnel evaluation. I think John Guy, who digs up the low profile FAs, is actually pretty good.

541358[/snapback]

I agree completely.