Tired of people bashing JP

JP has played like a rookie QB which would piss me off if he was a 3rd year vet. But hey, guess what, JP is a rookie!

And he is doing everything a rookie should be doing. Learning by making mistakes, making plays with his feet and learning to read defenses.

Oh and he is doing this with a bunch of walking turnstiles in front of him. And a power running game that has NO power. :doh:

It takes 4 years to prove that you can play QB in this league. E. Manning sucked his first year... He is what I would call an Average QB now.

Happy holiday

Everyone in the offseason said, "Anybody can play better than DB!" The coaches all but said that themselves when they handed him the job. We were supposed to be a playoff team this year and JPL is a big reason why we're not. The defense had a huge dropoff which is definately another reason, but part of that falls on JPL as well (just like it did when DB struggled).

That said, I havn't seen too many people bashing JPL -- that seems reserved for everyone else on the team.

CW

I haven't seen much "bashing" of JP ....... a lot of people saying that he pretty much sucks this year (which he has by the way) but not much bashing. But I think it's been the consenses of the board from day one that "suckage" was pretty much expected until JP gets some playing time under his belt (with the exception of the misguided few who espoused that anybody would do better than Bledsoe).

Face it .... we are all Bills fans here (with the exception of the Patsy and Dogfish tolls) and everyone hopes JP matures into a great QB

I haven't seen much "bashing" of JP ....... a lot of people saying that he pretty much sucks this year (which he has by the way) but not much bashing. But I think it's been the consenses of the board from day one that "suckage" was pretty much expected until JP gets some playing time under his belt (with the exception of the misguided few who espoused that anybody would do better than Bledsoe).

Face it .... we are all Bills fans here (with the exception of the Patsy and Dogfish tolls) and everyone hopes JP matures into a great QB

539920[/snapback]

This team has many problems, which are now being exposed:

1.) poor defensive planning. it would appear that gray has never looked at last year's films to figure out how to get off the field on third down plays. in watching the limited number of games this year, it's obvious to me that all third down blitzes attack the same part of the field (the center), allowing opposing offenses to bottle up our rush with fewer players, allowing for their Qb to pick us apart for long gains on third downs. Run stopping is not necessarily a factor of immovable objects, they can be isolated. it's easier to attack open gaps created by players not playing their assignments, making it easy to negate such a players effect. Good film study not only of the opponent, but also of each player to analyze his own play to see how he misread the play should be required.

2.) Offense is well scripted by the coaches for the now common approach used by SF in the walsh era. The problem is if you can script for 15 plays, you should script for 60plays, using a playbook that usually has more than 200 plays in it. learning these plays is what offseason and preseason is for. These plays should be geared to your offenses strengths and weaknesses. Other teams must do it because I usually see an OC on the other side of the field with a double sided sheet calling plays.

3.)

Everyone in the offseason said, "Anybody can play better than DB!"  The coaches all but said that themselves when they handed him the job.  We were supposed to be a playoff team this year and JPL is a big reason why we're not.  The defense had a huge dropoff which is definately another reason, but part of that falls on JPL as well (just like it did when DB struggled).

That said, I havn't seen too many people bashing JPL -- that seems reserved for everyone else on the team.

CW

539913[/snapback]

The Bills did not make the playoffs last year because the TEAM was not good enough PERIOD. To point fingers my opion is #1 Offensive Line #2 A great D against subpar teams a average D against good teams. Plus a soft schedule = 9-7. This year the Offensive line is worst and the D with a couple injury's and overated players are just plan bad plus a tough schedule = 4-12. To blame either QB is just lack of Football knowledge.....................

I don't blame the QB for the teams losses this year.

However.... (i mentioned in another thread sending JP to the NFL Europe as a "tongue in cheek" suggestion).....I think management...of not just the Buffalo Bills but many teams that have had poor QB play in recent seasons need to think outside of the box....and figure out how you can get a rookie clipboard carrying QB to the guy who you are going to put the future of the franchise on his shoulders within such a short period of time. The kid is only 24 years old.

The suggestion of a minor league system is not as crazy as it might sound.

Consider guys like Heath Schuler and Akili Smith. When they were drafted fans of their teams would have thought you were nuts to suggest sending a guy who you invested such a high draft pick and big signing bonus to a minor league system for nothing more than the risk of injury. Looking back, it may have saved their careers. The problem is the "fast food" culture we live in where everyone wants everything RIGHT NOW! Sometimes "RIGHT NOW" isn't the best answer.

We were supposed to be a playoff team this year and JPL is a big reason why we're not.  The defense had a huge dropoff which is definately another reason, but part of that falls on JPL as well (just like it did when DB struggled).

539913[/snapback]

You really think JPL is a big reason ? I am not so sure. While I agree that handing the keys to JP full time and expecting no drop off was too optimistic. But I don't think JPL was too big a reason. The other aspects dropped off way to precipitiously for JPL's performance to make a significant difference one way or the other.

The Bills did not make the playoffs last year because the TEAM was not good enough PERIOD. To point fingers my opion is #1 Offensive Line #2 A great D against subpar teams a average D against good teams. Plus a soft schedule = 9-7. This year the Offensive line is worst and the D with a couple injury's and overated players are just plan bad plus a tough schedule = 4-12. To blame either QB is just lack of Football knowledge.....................

539953[/snapback]

Once again ...... I don't think anyone is "blaming the w/l record" on JP .... they are just saying that JP pretty much sucked this year......... I think if this thread were about the Defense ..... people would be saying the defense pretty much sucked this year ....... if the thread was about the O-line we would be saying that the O-line sucked this year, same about coaching, game planning, play calling, etc, etc, etc.

But I DO agree with you that the record can not be blamed on any one player or aspect of the game ..... but it is a result of widespread "suckage".

Personally, I have seen marked improvement from the preseason to his most recent game. He is beginning to trust his receivers to be where they are supposed to be, and he is getting rid of the ball before receivers break their routes. He is throwing with more 'authority' though sometimes I wish he wouldn't. :doh: Much too early to make a decision on this kid. Give him some protection and let's see what he can grow into.

Personally, I have seen marked improvement from the preseason to his most recent game.  He is beginning to trust his receivers to be where they are supposed to be, and he is getting rid of the ball before receivers break their routes.  He is throwing with more 'authority' though sometimes I wish he wouldn't. :doh:  Much too early to make a decision on this kid.  Give him some protection and let's see what he can grow into.

540023[/snapback]

I completely agree. That's why MM's insistance on using Holcomb in a futile attemp to save his ass and/or audition for other jobs (I am firmly in the JPL is not really hurt camp) makes no sense, because in my eyes Sparky has actually regressed as a QB.

JP has played like a rookie QB which would piss me off if he was a 3rd year vet.  But hey, guess what, JP is a rookie!

And he is doing everything a rookie should be doing.  Learning by making mistakes, making plays with his feet and learning to read defenses.

Oh and he is doing this with a bunch of walking turnstiles in front of him.  And a power running game that has NO power.  :doh:

It takes 4 years to prove that you can play QB in this league.  E. Manning sucked his first year... He is what I would call an Average QB now.

Happy holiday

539908[/snapback]

He isn't a rookie, he is a 2nd year player.....but don't let that stop you.

I expected a lot of struggling on losmans part, so whats been has been pretty much par for the course. Howver I expected by now to see some real improvement. What I've seen from Losman is he's good for pretty much a quater and then fallas apart whether it be short hoping passes over throwing wr's or throwing ill fated int's. Now whether this is just an aspect of poor coaching or It's not clicking yet for losman.

I don't know, but I hope by mid season next year he steps up his game considerably. He has a lot of positives going for him. I hope he does well, I just dont see it with him like you could with carson palmer or eli manning. Losman doesn't strike me as a qb you build your team around anyway.

He needs an offense like Jake Plummer with the broncos. Let him do what he does best roll out and occasionaly throw deep, but the focus of the offense being on a strong running game with controlled passing to limit the brain farts. Which isn't a bad thing at all. I see a lot of good Plummer qualities in losman, but for losman to realize his potential we have to start leaning on the run game, bring in quality athletic linemen who can pull and a good te. Losman will never be succesful in a drop back pass offense.

A rookie who was lost early in the season due to injury... I call it a wash.  And I call you a dumbass

540181[/snapback]

If you want to compare him to other first year starters that is fine. Call folks what you want, but the fact of the matter is there is a world of difference between a rookie and a 1st year starter.

I guess I've been hearing a lot of off the cuff remarks in the media during coverage of the games

The press seems to LOVE KH 

Drives me crazy.

Or maybe it's the season (Stressed about what gifts people are buying for me :doh: )

540053[/snapback]

The FOX Sports Radio network did a poll on their overnight show the other night, asking who was the "worst starting QB in the NFL"....Joey Harrington "won" with a little over half the votes, JP finished in second.... :D

I am one who thought Losman was flat out miserable in his first stint as starting QB. I thought he showed significant progress in his second go-round, far from perfect, but showing something. National media types just don't know what the fug they are talking about half the time. The only national media person I have heard mention Losman's improvement was Randy Cross, and he is fuggin awful!

Either way, I think benching Losman after four games, was MM's best coaching decision of the season. It did help him. The rest of the teams' miriad of problems are just too big for him, or Holcomb to overcome at this point, with their own limitations factored in.

:doh: Uh, you can't be serious.

540220[/snapback]

Yes I am.

We lost by a TD to Atlanta, a game where JPL threw for a whopping 75 yards at home. He followed that up with another 75 yard performance against the nomad Saints of all teams, and we scored only 3 points against the Bucs in his 2nd game. A 1-3 hole is VERY difficult to dig out of.

You don't think a good QB could've won at least 3 of the first game games? Football's all about momentum, so who knows what happens if we started strong.

It's definately not all his fault -- the OL has been weak, the D has had its bad moments (especially recently), but in September, those losses fall VERY heavily on JPL's shoulders IMHO.

Listen, I'm one of the biggest OL complainers, but again, a good QB would've won a few of those games up front, putting us in a position to make the playoffs.

CW