Willie Roaf

Stl Bills

Coming into the 2005 season whenever the press (mainly ESPN) would talk about the best Offensive Tackles in the game you would always here three names: Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Ogden. Ogden has obviously lost a step, and continues to get worse with age but still remains a pretty good lineman, IMHO Pace and Jones are still elite players. Roaf never gets mentioned with these three but he should. I actually live in Columbia, Mo which is directly between KC and St. Louis. Rams and Chiefs are broadcasted every week and watching Roaf crush DE's on pass protection is pretty impressive. He always seems to get to the second level on run plays and no linebacker in this league has a chance against this guy. In fact that whole line in Kansas City is pretty damn good. The Chiefs really had to make adjustments when Roaf was out and now that he is back their offensive has really been clicking. I don't know why I decided to talk about a chief but this is one player I really respect and wish we had someone of his caliber on our line. Wishfull thinking

KC got him in 2002 for a conditional pick, which turned out to be pick 78 in the 2003 draft. Meanwhile, our brilliant GM thought it was better to draft Mike Williams and pay him Willie Roaf money when he could have drafted ROY Williams and would not have had to overpay Lawyer Miloy. I'd rather have Roaf, and Roy Williams and have given KC a better offer for Roaf (the 3rd rd pick in 2002 that we used with our 4th to trade up for Denney would have done it). But of course, TD was right and we're so much better with Mike Williams, Ryan Denney & Lawyer Milloy than Willie Roaf & Roy Williams. That's why he's such a great GM.

TD fiddled while our OL burned

KC got him in 2002 for a conditional pick, which turned out to be pick 78 in the 2003 draft.  Meanwhile, our brilliant GM thought it was better to draft Mike Williams and pay him Willie Roaf money when he could have drafted ROY Williams and would not have had to overpay Lawyer Miloy.  I'd rather have Roaf, and Roy Williams and have given KC a better offer for Roaf (the 3rd rd pick in 2002 that we used with our 4th to trade up for Denney would have done it).  But of course, TD was right and we're so much better with Mike Williams, Ryan Denney & Lawyer Milloy than Willie Roaf & Roy Williams.  That's why he's such a great GM. 

TD fiddled while our OL burned

539932[/snapback]

I remember that. He was being offered for a third rounder but I think there were some that questioned how durable he was. Well, I agree with the top post, this guy could be the best offensive tackle in the game today.

I remember that.  He was being offered for a third rounder but I think there were some that questioned how durable he was.  Well, I agree with the top post, this guy could be the best offensive tackle in the game today.

540057[/snapback]

IIRC, he also was a little bit of a problem child his last year with the Saints...

nevertheless, absolute steal by the Chiefs.

Roaf is outstanding. In terms of him being the best, I don't know if I'd say that, but he's not far off. Considering all aspects (ability, experience, injuries, off the field issues, etc.), here's how I'd put the top 5 OTs right now:

5. Willie Roaf

4. Tarik Glenn

3. Levi Jones

2. Orlando Pace

1. Walter Jones

Not bad company to be in @ all. Honorable mention to:

Flozell Adams

Willie Anderson

Jonathan Ogden