Chris Mortensen say..

bernie

I don't live in Buffalo, and your post is based on what? Nothing? A hunch? Have you heard any or many executives or GMs or coaches say the Buffalo job is a bad one? Or say the organization is in shambles? Or that Buffalo is a crappy place to work and live? Or that Ralph is getting old and is going to die soon so a new guy is going to have a short tenure? I don't think so. Some idiot sportswriter with nothing to write or B word about may, but what people actually around the league have been actually saying for years is that the Bills have a top notch organization from the top down.

539490[/snapback]

Top notch from top down.... I assume that does not include the people YOU want to get rid of. So with the exception of TD we have a top notch organization?? Is that correct? Because if that is your belief who do you think put that organization together?? I mean it could be anyone but the President of the club....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top notch from top down....  I assume that does not include the people YOU want to get rid of.  So with the exception of TD we have a top notch organization??  Is that correct?  Because if that is your belief who do you think put that organization together??  I mean it could be anyone but the President of the club....

539503[/snapback]

Whoever said I wanted to get rid of TD? I like TD. And I think he should be fired ONLY if there is a realistic and very good candidate to replace him, and I have yet to see that person's name anywhere. I am totally against firing TD just to fire him. I could imagine having Modrak stay in TD's place but I don't even think that's necessarily a great option. So who exactly are you talking about when you say "the people YOU want to get rid of"?

Top notch from top down....  I assume that does not include the people YOU want to get rid of.  So with the exception of TD we have a top notch organization??  Is that correct?  Because if that is your belief who do you think put that organization together??  I mean it could be anyone but the President of the club....

539503[/snapback]

I doubt anyone here thinks that TD, or MM for that matter was all bad...Clearly TD did some things very well...And I do not question for one second that the effort and the hard work was put in...In fact I know it was...

That being said, the NFL is a result driven business...All the fantastic work behind the scenes, and all the Organization building does not mean squat when your 32-48 without a single Playoff appearence in 5 years...Regardless of what TD did right, what he put on the Field has not worked for 5 years running... Heck I don't know, maybe the guy is just jinxed? Whatever the reason, and dispite what he has done positively, he's got to go cause it's not working...And he needs to take MM and any other Pittsburgh castoff he brought along with him...

I wish them all the best of luck, and I'm thankful for the good things TD did in Buffalo...But it's just time for a change....It has just not worked...end of story... B-)

4 pages of thread and not one single shout out to 'ol Tuesday for trudging 2 miles to work (and back) in 20 degree cold and getting his question answered by Mort.

539581[/snapback]

Sorry about that... that's the first thing I noticed too. B-)

Congrats, Mort must like you, he's used your questions before, ain't it?. :D

Congrats also to millibank, he is much beloved byTD... answrs his questions a lot as well. ;)

4 pages of thread and not one single shout out to 'ol Tuesday for trudging 2 miles to work (and back) in 20 degree cold and getting his question answered by Mort.

539581[/snapback]

You are my Tedy Bruschi---and apparently TD is Mort's Tedy Bruschi II

No matter who runs this team next year. TD, Charlie Army, Ron Wolf, Simon Cowell, The slim or fat version of Britney Spears, it would be tough to be as bad as what we have experienced this year...expectations will be low--anything positive will be a bonus..

Whoever said I wanted to get rid of TD? I like TD. And I think he should be fired ONLY if there is a realistic and very good candidate to replace him, and I have yet to see that person's name anywhere. I am totally against firing TD just to fire him. I could imagine having Modrak stay in TD's place but I don't even think that's necessarily a great option. So who exactly are you talking about when you say "the people YOU want to get rid of"?

539506[/snapback]

dog, i agree with everything you've said in this thread so far, particularly what you say about the atttractiveness of buffalo as a destination. it *is* a good job -- good fans, stable ownership, etc. however, as with regard to donohoe, 30-48 is 30-48. moreover, it's a bad 30-48 -- pissed off media, alienated fans, and a truly bad team this year. as they say, it is what it is. and of course (you know me) i can't help comparing it with smith/butler, who walked into a much worse situation than td did. clearly, the outcome in sd is better than it is in the nickel city. moreover, there are very good people out there who we don't know much about. bobby depaul for instance. who was instrumental in those defensive draft picks? in signing thomas jones? in nabbing reuben brown? etc. etc. there are a lot of good people who presently are not gms but will be one day. let's hope that next one works for the bills.

to reiterate, though, whoever that next great is, if he's not a gm now, he'll bow down and pray to ralph c. wilson if the old man offers him a job.

539581[/snapback]

hey tuesday - i congratulate you! i biked to midtown from park slope today. freaking rollerball, i tell you.

dog, i agree with everything you've said in this thread so far, particularly what you say about the atttractiveness of buffalo as a destination. it *is* a good job -- good fans, stable ownership, etc. however, as with regard to donohoe, 30-48 is 30-48. moreover, it's a bad 30-48 -- pissed off media, alienated fans, and a truly bad team this year. as they say, it is what it is. and of course (you know me) i can't help comparing it with smith/butler, who walked into a much worse situation than td did. clearly, the outcome in sd is better than it is in the nickel city. moreover, there are very good people out there who we don't know much about. bobby depaul for instance. who was instrumental in those defensive draft picks? in signing thomas jones? in nabbing reuben brown? etc. etc. there are a lot of good people who presently are not gms but will be one day. let's hope that next one works for the bills.

to reiterate, though, whoever that next great is, if he's not a gm now, he'll bow down and pray to ralph c. wilson if the old man offers him a job.

539657[/snapback]

There are a couple interesting candidates, as there always will be. Is there a surefire stud out there? i don't see him. Is there someone that people have been trying to get for years, like the GM equivalent of Gary Kubiak? I don't seem him. I wouldn't totally object to a guy like Depaul (although using Thomas Jones as an example doesnt win many points when Paul thought so highly of Jones that he drafted Cedric Benson this year B-) And not for the reason TD drafted Willis (there wasnt another player worth the money).

TD has not done enough to guarantee his job, that is for sure. Frankly, I think what is going to happen is that TD is fired and Modrak takes over, and keeps MM for one more year, gets rid of Tom Clements and maybe Jerry Gray. That is a prediction, not necessarily what I would do but it's not a horrible move.

(although using Thomas Jones as an example doesnt win many points when Paul thought so highly of Jones that he drafted Cedric Benson this year B-)

539666[/snapback]

very quickly - angelo and whoever the college scouting guy is were key in drafting benson, and depaul, the pro personnel guy, is almost surely the guy who brought in jones. that said, in good organizations the pro guy has a say in draft picks.

There are a couple interesting candidates, as there always will be. Is there a surefire stud out there? i don't see him. Is there someone that people have been trying to get for years, like the GM equivalent of Gary Kubiak? I don't seem him. I wouldn't totally object to a guy like Depaul (although using Thomas Jones as an example doesnt win many points when Paul thought so highly of Jones that he drafted Cedric Benson this year B-) And not for the reason TD drafted Willis (there wasnt another player worth the money).

TD has not done enough to guarantee his job, that is for sure. Frankly, I think what is going to happen is that TD is fired and Modrak takes over, and keeps MM for one more year, gets rid of Tom Clements and maybe Jerry Gray. That is a prediction, not necessarily what I would do but it's not a horrible move.

539666[/snapback]

That's what I think too. Modrak becomes GM with Clements and Gray bye-bye. Who is the next OC and DC then?

That's what I think too. Modrak becomes GM with Clements and Gray bye-bye. Who is the next OC and DC then?

539732[/snapback]

I'm really not sure. Maybe Russ Grimm. Maybe he just promotes Wyche and calls the plays himself, although he has been terrible at it this year. One thing about Mularkey is that he doesn't seem to be shy about surrounding himself with guys with more experience than him. And he's a realist. He knows that if he himself doesn't do significantly better next year, he is gone, regardless of the GM. So I don't think he would be hesitant about getting a DC that has some head coach exerience or some HC aspirations, whereas some other coach or in a different situation may not want a guy around that could just step in. MM has to know that it's do or die. And if he does well, he will stay.

But then again, I thoughthe would know enough that you need to run the ball consistently at the one before you can call play-action and have it work.

There are a couple interesting candidates, as there always will be. Is there a surefire stud out there? i don't see him. Is there someone that people have been trying to get for years, like the GM equivalent of Gary Kubiak?

I believe that the name you are looking for is Scott Pioli.

539666[/snapback]

What intrigues me is a Potemkin house-cleaning, similar to what you describe. If Modrak becomes President in any case, and particularly if Donahoe stays on as President, could we ever really be sure that Donahoe isn't still calling the shots?

JDG - Can't say that I would like that.....

I believe that the name you are looking for is Scott Pioli.

What intrigues me is a Potemkin house-cleaning, similar to what you describe.  If Modrak becomes President in any case, and particularly if Donahoe stays on as President, could we ever really be sure that Donahoe isn't still calling the shots?

JDG - Can't say that I would like that.....

539745[/snapback]

I have no reason to believe Pioli is available, do you? Not being snide, I just don't know, and havent seen anything. It's possible that he would want more authority somewhere than he has under BB's shadow but why would the guy leave right now, he has it made.

It would make zero sense for me for TD to be made something other than GM/President and then actually call the shots. What does that give Ralph? If he likes TD enough he would keep him, if he thinks he needs to go, he goes. The fans are not going to buy into him being president and then letting Modrak make the calls and be the public face. I don't think there is any win bumping him up and then behind the scenes having him keep power. That is just illogical to me.

TD has done some very good things and some not so good things. In my opinion, his biggest failures have been his choices for HC. I was not terribly excited about GW when he was hired, but he certainly had the "credentials" as a DC. I do not miss him and never really was a big fan.

MM, on the other hand, was the OC of the 25th best offense in the league before he was hired. We chose him instead of Charlie Weiss. That still boggles the mind. Nevertheless, I had high hopes for MM. I thought that he showed a steady hand last year and did not panic after the bad start. This year, however, he has lost the team. He has singled out the wrong players and has picked fights with guys like Moulds. If MM remains he coach, I think that it is going to be difficult given the way he lost well respected players on this team.

I don't know what the answer is right now. When TD came in, I never dreamed that we would be where we are. I would hate to make a move just for the sake of making a move. If he and MM are let go, I really hope that Ralph hires people that know what they are doing and are well respected. Otherwise, it is going to be difficult to turn this team around quickly. If they are not let go, the Bills are going to have to do something in the off season to give the fans some hope. If not, I really fear that season tickets are going to go down. We really need season tickets to be at a high level so that there is no reason (God forbid) to move the team. Ralph is getting up there. We have no idea who the next owner will be.

I hope Ralph is around for a very long time. He (and we) deserve to win a Super Bowl. I just hope that he gets some good information on what is, in fact, happening internally with this team and makes the right decision.

If TD is around, I really hope that he has learned his lesson and realizes that games are won at the line of scrimmage.